Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This entire section is almost all action. In novels, action sequences can sometimes get tedious because you don't have the visual dynamics that you do in a movie. For me, what makes an interesting action segment is one that sustains the tension and suspense. Action for action's sake is not interesting to me. On the other hand, sometimes action sequences are so short and perfunctory that I feel cheated. I like getting into the meat of how something is accomplished, and if it happens too easily, then the hero didn't have enough obstacles to overcome to make the story worthy. Also, if it happens too fast, the details can get confusing.

So my main question here is, does this action sequence maintain the suspense or does it drag on too long? Was it confusing in any way? Did the infiltration of the compound seem believable?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think this section was well written.  I was able to easily visualize the different levels of the Oasis compound; numbering the levels and using compass directions for the stairwells kept it simple to imagine.  I especially liked the irony when Dilara was able to use the truth serum to both take out the guard and then use him to get to the fifth floor.  To me the balance between suspense and action was just right, all while staying believable.

Another thing that I liked about these chapters is how I was able to move past the 'Oasis' climax into another.  Usually when a book's plot is leading somewhere and that action gets resolved, I have a hard time generating interest in any subsequent plot line.  However, the movement of the plot (and the change of scenery) helped me keep that feeling that Garrett's evil plan is looming (by having back up plans, and even a backup 'Oasis'), so that I was surprised at how easily I segued into the next action sequences.

Pertaining to the book klub: the chunks of chapters to read have been chosen well.  However, I have a really hard time putting it down for any length of time.  The only reason this book wasn't devoured in the first week was because I've been enjoying the questions and the dialogue here!

I want to point out that even though this is an action packed part of the story, I think a lot of character development has happened.  Seeing decisions and abilities of the characters makes me feel like I know them better and gives the story more dimension.  Bravo!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the reasons I came up with Oasis was because, as an engineer, I've always wondered how the evil masterminds recruit their henchmen and build these enormous, elaborate lairs in secret. Who builds it for them? How do they keep anyone from finding out about it as it's built? Where does the seemingly inexhaustible supply of faceless minions come from? I've largely had to suspend my disbelief when I read it in books or see it in films that the bad guy has a vast army hidden inside a volcano. The Ark was my attempt to show how it might be plausible.

Then of course, the challenge for me was to figure out how to get Locke inside such a secure facility without the bad guys making idiotic mistakes. No one gets to crawl through conveniently-large air vents. Garrett saw too many movies to allow that to happen.

I'm glad the false climax didn't seem inappropriate or labored to you, Frojazz. I wanted to actually see Noah's Ark and solve that mystery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.