Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because some are looking for the Good Old Days - here's one of the Good Old Threads that have died away - Jump in with elan:

Kindleboard Authors. Here's the deal with this thread. I invite you to post a SNIPPET of no more than 250 words and only once a week from one of your books. That's the challenge (and because I have so many books, the seven day rule is appropriate to assure a balance). You can include a text link to your book, BUT NO GRAPHIC LINK. Any member can comment on your snippet, ask questions and discuss, but only one snippet a week and only 250 words. Please no full chapters. The shorter the better, and the better that chance that your snipet will be read. I'll post the first one as an example and won't post another until May 28. I thought this would be different and fun.

Thanks

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my snippet:

"The wise say the reason the sound of rain upon roofs and windows comfort is rooted in a remembrance before birth, when we sensed the beating of our mother's heart in the chamber of her cherished womb. No other sound can so restore us. Therefore, after the Cave of the Winds, no better restorative could have been sought than to lie in the Xiao Homestead and attend to its rain-kissed ancient roof."

from The Jade Owl

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
16 Posts
Snippet from Relocating Mia by Rebecca Lerwill

The wind had become even stronger in the last hour, and several branches swayed in front of Douglas, obscuring his vision. He held his breath to better concentrate on what he was watching.
The van's back doors swung open and so did the hatch of the lab entrance. Shurnik appeared from underground, but to Douglas' astonishment, he was not carrying any kind of package that could conceal the drugs. He had a man in a white jumpsuit over his shoulder.
The man was either dead or unconscious. He did not seem to be shackled.
Shurnik leaned forward and deposited the body into the back of the van. He said something to the driver, who shook his head. He disappeared again into the lab, just to return momentarily with yet another body draped over his shoulder.
"Holy sh**," Douglas murmured.

Award-winning romantic suspense, Relocating Mia

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Very cool, Ed. Thanks for starting this. :)

The first time I dropped acid I had a vision of Sister Patricia. She was wearing a beautiful tie-dyed habit, kneeling on her stone floor, head bowed, praying to God. There was a light rattling, tapping, rustling sound at the window that startled her out of her meditations. She floated to the window and opened it up and when she did it let in a rainbow; pure and just as vivid as my crayons had once been. The beauty of it enveloped the cold, dreary room, and filled it - filled her - with the Love of God. I was nineteen - long after catechism classes and church and even prayer had been a part of my life - holed up in my one room apartment with some guy I'd met two hours earlier. I still can't remember his name, but his hair was Goldenrod and his eyes were Sky Blue.

~ Prologue, Waiting For Spring

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ogg spread his arms as he neared the cliff. He ran faster, the inside of his chest pounding in rhythm with his feet against the soil. The valley below came into view. He glanced at his wings. They were steady, strapped to his forearms and wrists with the strongest vines he could find. He looked to the sky and smiled. The gods were surely with him today.

He leapt from the cliff, imagining the swirling winds lifting him toward the sky....

Ogg remembered little afterward until he came to rest at the base of the cliff. He slowly opened his eyes. When everything spun, he squeezed them shut again.

For an instant, he thought he was still airborne. But then he recalled feeling the same after Maku had once struck him for returning late from the hunt with firejuice on his breath. Ogg's head had hurt the same for three suns after.

- Homo Geekian - a short story - $0.99

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I love snippetry! Thanks, Ed.

From Wysard, first volume of the Ryel Saga:

"...from earliest childhood he would escape into the Steppes night while all else slept, running far from the yats into the deep fields, there to lie with his back to the breathing grass and his face to the flickering infinity overhead. As a child he had known no greater delight than those rapt communions that leapt to ecstasy at every touchstone streak of meteor. But as he grew older the joy ebbed, giving way to aching awe, ineffable hunger, solitude absolute and godless where each pinprick shimmer melded into a burning white weight just above his heart, intensifying with every star that fell.

I have not known the stars in two years, he thought. The remembrance of everything else he missed seemed to envelop him like Markulit fog, chill and desolate."

CK

Edited to note that both volumes are now on sale for $0.99 until June 1; full first chapters, reviews and more at my website.

·
Registered
144 Posts
rjkeller said:
The first time I dropped acid I had a vision of Sister Patricia. She was wearing a beautiful tie-dyed habit, kneeling on her stone floor, head bowed, praying to God. There was a light rattling, tapping, rustling sound at the window that startled her out of her meditations. She floated to the window and opened it up and when she did it let in a rainbow; pure and just as vivid as my crayons had once been. The beauty of it enveloped the cold, dreary room, and filled it - filled her - with the Love of God. I was nineteen - long after catechism classes and church and even prayer had been a part of my life - holed up in my one room apartment with some guy I'd met two hours earlier. I still can't remember his name, but his hair was Goldenrod and his eyes were Sky Blue.

~ Prologue, Waiting For Spring
I just finished Waiting for Spring day before yesterday. It is a GREAT read, with colorful characters and substance! I highly recommend this book to anyone!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Great idea!

“This is weird weather,” said John.
  Trees bent from side to side, as though undecided if one way was better than another. Off to the west, a funnel cloud loosely formed, but as it reached for the ground, the ugly shape of it became precisely defined. Huge clouds of dust and debris were swept up into it, and it seemed to grow by the second.
  By now, Nokie was barking and dancing around them.
  Nick stared at the tornado, transfixed. Across two cornfields, it grew blacker, and the swirl of wind sucked everything up inside it. He was paralyzed. Why wasn’t it moving? Didn’t tornadoes move? With a sudden sickening in the pit of his stomach, he realized the twister was moving. It was heading directly at them.
  “Get to the cellar. Hurry.” Nick grabbed John by the collar, dumping over the trunk as he pulled his brother to his feet. His ears popped, and the air around him thinned.

I'm enjoying reading these!

Carol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Snippet from "Irretrievably Broken." This is from the restaurant scene where Nora and her colleague Joe, both newly divorced, have lunch.
"I think there's just enough time for a cup of that brown water they call coffee here. Anything for you?"
"Blow job?" He smiled sweetly at one of the women at the table next to them who'd turned to glare at him.
"You know what?" Joe said when Nora returned with her coffee, "I think you and I'd be good together.
"Oh be serious."
"We could give it a try. A nice dinner out, then see what develops."
Nora took a couple of sips of her coffee, made a face and said, "Ready to head back?"
"As soon as you tell me what time I can pick you up tonight."
"Just keep asking," she told him, slipping on her raincoat. "It's really good for my ego."
He put one hand over his trouser zipper, saying, "Any time you want to be good to my ego you know where to find it."

family board, folks! Please be selective in your snippets. Betsy

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Much coolness here :)

From Finding Father Rabbit:

I was staring at the clock, the bright red 12:00 popping on and off with military precision, trying to ignore the people around me, wanting to forget about what day it was, wishing time could stand still for just a minute, long enough for the pounding in my head to stop and long enough for me to remember what it felt like to take a long, deep breath without jagged edges of pain ripping through me. I watched the clock and flattened popcorn between my fingers, wishing for just a single minute of something that resembled happiness, when I heard my name over the din of voices, a squeal of feminine delight that instantly made me sit up straighter and smile.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Thanks, Ed! Although I'll submit that I'm probably lousy at snippet-ology. ;D

Here's my first candidate from In Her Name: Empire --

Perhaps infinity was a concept best not dwelt upon by a young warrior still untested in battle, but Esah-Zhurah thought she came to understand it well as she struggled through the water toward the surface. Distance and time merged into numbing agony and fear as she fought for every stroke against the current that had helped her find him, but that now threatened to doom her to the same fate. She clamped her arm harder around Reza's chest to keep his armored body from sinking like leaden ballast. She turned to look at his shadowy outline, wondering if he could even still be alive.

No matter, she told herself. She was determined not to leave him behind. Not ever...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brendan Carroll said:
Here ye go lads and lassies. This is how I first met the lovely Meredith Sinclair. I hope you enjoy this snippet as much as Mark did.
---------------

"Spoken like a true knight, but you don't have to worry about all that now." She smiled at him and traced one cool finger down the trail of blood on his face. "Such precious blood should not be wasted." As she leaned closer, he realized that the thin, summer dress was the only thing she wore and the tan on her face apparently extended all the way down past her fully exposed breasts to her toes. His mouth fell open slightly. She presented a pleasant view, or at least it would have been pleasant under other circumstances… perhaps. She followed his gaze with her own eyes. "Do you like what you see?" she asked and rocked forward just enough to brush his face with her own and then spoke directly in his ear. "There is such a fine line between pleasure and pain, Mark Andrew. Don't you agree?"
woah! is this one on Kindle?

Mike

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
MichaelS said:
So, why is your second book on sale? Can you give us a break on your first one?
Just give it a minute. I don't know why the second and eighth book dropped first, but the others should come through any time now and all will be listed $1.99. Will that be good for you? Thanks for taking an interest! I love it... love it... love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
Great idea!

"This is weird weather," said John.
Trees bent from side to side, as though undecided if one way was better than another. Off to the west, a funnel cloud loosely formed, but as it reached for the ground, the ugly shape of it became precisely defined. Huge clouds of dust and debris were swept up into it, and it seemed to grow by the second.
By now, Nokie was barking and dancing around them.
Nick stared at the tornado, transfixed. Across two cornfields, it grew blacker, and the swirl of wind sucked everything up inside it. He was paralyzed. Why wasn't it moving? Didn't tornadoes move? With a sudden sickening in the pit of his stomach, he realized the twister was moving. It was heading directly at them.
"Get to the cellar. Hurry." Nick grabbed John by the collar, dumping over the trunk as he pulled his brother to his feet. His ears popped, and the air around him thinned.

I'm enjoying reading these!

Carol
Think I might have to get this one too, I got a whole weekend to sit aound it's supposed to STORM here

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Snippet taken from The Legend of Witch Bane (The Witch Bane Saga)

Scene~The wicked Queen Rhiannon Eldess seduces her captive prisoner the fairy princess Laris Goddaya:

"What care I for riches? What is desire but an empty purse for someone like me who has lost the only thing she ever truly wanted?" asked Laris.

"To live is to yearn. Only death can steal our desire. How shall I believe that you desire naught when a deep longing consumes your every thought? I daresay even your dreams are filled with the pangs of your unfulfilled desires," replied Rhiannon.

"Then my dreams are become nightmares if only you can give them meaning."

"Even nightmares must have their end."

"Shall I ever know such a day?"

"Dear child, you have needs of becoming free from the fears that haunt you. I can give flight to your desire and thus free you from your slavish ways."

"Yet, you would make a slave of me in turn for my loss of freewill."

99 cent book sale ends on May 31st.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm so glad so many of you are finding your way here. I hope the readers are enjoying these too. I just can't wait to indulge in my second snippet, but alas I need to wait until May 28.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts