Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honour of my newly arrived Kindle (and the fact that a cheque from Amazon is due any week now that should cover it and the ammunition) I am offering to exterminate up to 20 BBoSs (US Amazon site only--I am prevented from acting against UK and DE BBoSs by reason of my nationality. Unfair, perhaps, but there it is). At this number of exterminations, I'm limited to $2.99 or under jobs. If there is an extreme case, I may go take a stab at $3.99 or above, but don't count on it.

So, if you are still being taunted by a US BBoS simply post to this thread and (if you are among the first 20) I'll exterminate the pest.

I'll make the attempt to read all 20 within what's left of the year (I don't read much when I'm writing so this may not be possible for me). Any genre is welcome though, if the story contains a lot of gore and horror, I don't promise I'll finish it. If it is very well-written horror I can practically guarantee that I won't. No matter, I won't discriminate against a horror-BBoS.

If you have more than one book and have a preference as to which method I use to enact the extermination, indicate this in the body of your post. I don't promise to abide by your preference if another title interests me more, but I will take it into account.

If you desire feedback, indicate this also. Again, no promises. And by feedback, I mean exactly that, not necessarily an Amazon review. Remember, if you ask, that you're asking for feedback from a SF&F author and his opinion may be worth zilch for other genres or for YA or children's books. Heck, his opinion may be worth zilch, anyway.

This operation goes under the honour system; please, only those with true US BBoSs.

[In case the writing above is confusing: I am offering to buy one of your books should you have failed to sell any book in the US Amazon site thus far this month--and thus have the Beige bar in your reports section that states: 'No sales to report during this period'. If you have more than one book and would prefer that I purchase a particular one, tell me which you would prefer I buy. I will attempt to abide by your preference. Please, books $2.99 or less.] [Plain English is no fun.]

Looking forward to reading from various genres, so: Let the massacre begin!

[Edited to add: If I get a fair number of $0.99 jobs, I may increase the number of BBoSs I'm willing to exterminate.]

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I have BBOS's across the board and have been without a new Amazon sale for... about two weeks.

So I'd be honored if you'd exterminate my BBoS in the Amazon US.

But if you really hate the type of book MOST LIKELY is, don't feel obligated. It's not for everyone, and there's no reason to buy a book you're not going to read. :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CraigInTwinCities said:
I have BBOS's across the board and have been without a new Amazon sale for... about two weeks.

So I'd be honored if you'd exterminate my BBoS in the Amazon US.

But if you really hate the type of book MOST LIKELY is, don't feel obligated. It's not for everyone, and there's no reason to buy a book you're not going to read. :)
I spent 7 years working in radar stations in the Arctic. For the first 10 months I read an average of a book per day. I quickly ran out of my preferred genres in the station libraries and read widely, including Romance, Historical Romance (aka Bodice Rippers), Westerns, SF&F, Mystery, Horror, War, (Auto)biography, Non-fiction, Detective, etc. I even read a book entitled "How to Meet and Marry the Man of Your Choice", which was, I thought, a strange title to send up to camps with an overwhelming majority of men--most stations had no women at all. I read it to see what tricks 'the other side' had up its sleeve. Sometimes Horror gave me nightmares, so I don't often read it. I have read a couple by Stephen King. I read several books by Andrew M. Greeley, who was, I believe, a Catholic Priest. I very much doubt that 'light Christian themes' are going to bother me, even though I am an atheist.

Oh, yeah, I enjoyed books from all those categories. If it's a good story, it's a good story.

One BBoS exterminated.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
If only you were German, they'd be lining up around the corner.

No US BBoS here, just wanted to say I like your style.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm bumping because I can't believe you only had one taker so far. I'm not a BBOS but if you feel so inclined to buy my book, knock yourself out! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll gladly get rid of my BBoS.  But don't feel obligated, if its not a book you'd otherwise be interested in purchasing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have the Royal Flush of BBoS. All three. :-\

I'd love for you to read one of my stories. Edge of Darkness is a novel, but I recently raised the price to test those waters. A bit out of your range at $4.99, it was previously at $2.99.

Long Day's Night is an Urban Fantasy short story at 99 cents. I'd love to know what you think of it.

[Edit] I can't believe I forgot about "The Wish." I just released that this last week, and no sales yet. Traditional Fantasy, complete with a unicorn and all, very short. 99 cents.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
BBoS here for UK and Germany... any pity?  Anyone?  ;)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd like to take you up on your offer.  I'm still showing BBoS in the US.  Because of the 15% tax we have to pay here in the UK, my novel Deadly Decisions and short story collections are priced at $3.44 and $3.31, but feel free to download any of my short stories.  You can find them in my signature.

Thanks again and let me know what you think either here or via PM.

Paul

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bless you, sir. I have a terrible July BBOS problem in the US. Any help with it will be greatly appreciated :)

The Gamblers is a violent crime thriller set in the UK; the dialogue is authentically 'urban', so it's more than a bit sweary. It's also rather violent. If you don't have any problems with either of these issues then I hope you will enjoy it.

Martin

http://thegamblersnovel.com

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most Likely -- Craig Hansen
The Quaking Sun -- Dan Meade
Edge of Darkness -- Tom Gallier
Deadly Decisions -- P.B. Thompson
Nag is Hindi for Cobra -- TK Kenyon
The Gamblers -- Martin Stanley

6 of the vicious beasts exterminated. Man, I need to raise my rates. One of the critters had very sharp teeth.

Looks like I'm in for some interesting reading.

Tom: Went with the novel 'cause it looks more like my kind of read, even though it was $4.99. But you might want to change this sentence in your blurb:

"Betrayed by almost everyone she ever trusted, Karyn must fight evil paladins, dragons, orks, rebels, and giant bats before she can rescue her imprisoned father and free her homeland from the dark plans of evil gods."

This sentence intimates that she will be successful in rescuing her father and freeing her homeland. Now, usually, that's how these stories end, so it's not a surprise, but you may want to leave us in more doubt. Perhaps something like suggesting her father may not be alive to be rescued and her homeland may, even if freed, no longer be somewhere she wants to live.

Now, I must be off to work. Perhaps I'll take my Kindle with me?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you're in the mood for a funny mystery, Hot Ticket hasn't had a US sale yet.  (If you're going by no sales at all in July, then no worries, as I'm ineligible.)  Thanks! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
D.A. Boulter said:
Most Likely -- Craig Hansen
The Quaking Sun -- Dan Meade
Edge of Darkness -- Tom Gallier
Deadly Decisions -- P.B. Thompson
Nag is Hindi for Cobra -- TK Kenyon
The Gamblers -- Martin Stanley

6 of the vicious beasts exterminated. Man, I need to raise my rates. One of the critters had very sharp teeth.

Looks like I'm in for some interesting reading.
Thank you for the purchase, and for removing this horizontal brown shame from my life :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Greetings BBoS Exterminator!

I've been sporting the Brown Bar of Shame for some time now. If you're up to it, you can try my light fantasy novelette, The Pearl of Great Price: A Tale, for only $0.99. Although it's not a Christian book, it's written in Early Modern English. Hope that doesn't turn you off.

Many thanks for your help, sir!

P.S.: Never mind the Kindle for the Web sample. Amazon mangles it somehow. :-\

·
Registered
399 Posts
D.A. Boulter said:
Tom: Went with the novel 'cause it looks more like my kind of read, even though it was $4.99. But you might want to change this sentence in your blurb:

"Betrayed by almost everyone she ever trusted, Karyn must fight evil paladins, dragons, orks, rebels, and giant bats before she can rescue her imprisoned father and free her homeland from the dark plans of evil gods."

This sentence intimates that she will be successful in rescuing her father and freeing her homeland. Now, usually, that's how these stories end, so it's not a surprise, but you may want to leave us in more doubt. Perhaps something like suggesting her father may not be alive to be rescued and her homeland may, even if freed, no longer be somewhere she wants to live.
Wow. I'm surprised and quite pleased. Thank you. Thanks for the blurb suggestion, too. Blurbs are hard for me. I'll work on it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You don't mind relocating to Germany as a personal favour to me, do you?

Help me, Obi-Wan.  You're my only hope.

Actually I'm good as far as the US is concerned, but I must add to the general consensus that you rock.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts