Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I just finished "The Blind Assassin" on my Kindle, and it was simply superb! It is written by one of my favourite authors - Margaret Atwood (one of the best authors from Canada). When I first read the sample chapters, I was slightly perplexed. However, the story was written in a unique style in which there is a novel within a novel, and it ends up being pure genius!

The story is set in WWII, and revolves around the life of two sisters. I don't want to ruin any of the suspence, so will leave it to you if you want to read the reviews on Amazon.

After I finished it, I found out this book won the Booker Price in 2000, and it definately deserved it!

Other novels from Margaret Atwood that I have thoroughly enjoyed previously and are available on the kindle are "The Handmaid's Tale" (a steal at $3.95) and "Oryx and Crake" ($7.96).

P.S. There are two "The Blind Assassin"s available on amazon, and after downloading sample chapters, I prefered the formatting of the cheaper one ($7.19).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know what you think!  I remember doing a book report on her first book "The Edible Women" in highschool and falling in love with her writing.  "Oryx and Crake" is an excellent science fiction.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I just started her newest "The Year of the Flood" which is a sequel of sorts to "Oryx and Crake".. I do not think you have to read one to get the other, I read O&C but honestly do not remember the story much. Not because it was not good, it was just a while ago and I have a poor memory. Margaret is one of my favorite authors, if not absolute favorite. I have read almost every book of hers and she just has away of pulling me in.

I remember years ago I was midway through "The Robber Bride" and left it in a restaurant. I did not get it back for over a week and had started another book. I did not pick it back up till almost a year later and jumped in where I left off, as I said, I have a bad memory and the story was fuzzy but I was soon back into it and loved it. Alias Grace, Cats Eye and Handmaid's Tale are among my all time favorites.
I have had her new one on my wishlist since it was announced way back earlier this year. I just took the plunge last night and am excited to get into it. I am also grateful to be able to buy this book at such a good (9.99) price! Back when I was living in NY and really broke, Alias Grace had just come out. I bought it, removed the cover and carried it around in a silk scarf ... that's right, all so I could return it in perfect condition! So glad those days are behind me ::knock wood!:: :D

http://www.yearoftheflood.com/us/

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Anne said:
The link is not working for me. I cannot find the the one for $7.19.
The original post is almost a year old.... That book is probably gone.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
The original post is almost a year old.... That book is probably gone.
Thanks I realized that when I went back and read the post again. I decided to read The Handmaids Tale.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yes, I read it and it is one of my favorite books of all time. She has a real gift for creating futuristic societies that
seem very possible.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Octochick said:
Yes, I read it and it is one of my favorite books of all time. She has a real gift for creating futuristic societies that
seem very possible.
What book of hers would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Anne said:
Have you read The Handmaid's Tale? Is any of her other books like this one.
I absolutely loved this book!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Anne said:
What book of hers would you recommend?
If you read my original post on this thread, I name several... but offhand, I would rec Cat's Eye and it is under $5!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts