Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
G

·
r0b0d0c said:
Any word on Tolkien's books? (I click on the Kindle link of these frequently) One of the book series I've loved the most, and look forward to reading on Kindle!
Not so long as Christopher Tolkein lives. There was an earlier dispute over the Tolkein copyrights, which JRR and Ballantine won. The rights are now jealously guarded--even more so since the success of the films and a renewed interest in the books.

· Registered
5,207 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
I've seen that Ms. Rowling's books aren't on Kindle - I hadn't read about why, but it sounds like she's addressed this issue and said "no way?" Correct?

Any other popular authors currently writing that are in this category (NEVER gonna be in Kindle!)?
Correct Rowling beliefs that books are supposed be an escape from technology or something. She wants children to get away from computers and tv and so on. Something along those lines.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
KindleKay said:
I FOUND IT!!!

Here is the link for the thread of books that people want on Kindle! The idea is that you post what book YOU want and people will go click to request it and then you will, in turn, click on THEIR book to request it.

Here ya go:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Lexie, post a book link in this thread and other will help you out clicking to request it in Kindle format!

· Registered
1,094 Posts
lexie22 said:
I know the obvious answer is read the DT version, which I have several copies of. But, I just can't do it. I need my Kindle!!! Normally, if this happens, I just read something else instead, but I have to read this one. What do I do?
Keep pushing the I want to read this on my Kindle button? Or read the hard copy.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
You are supposed to carry that around. Like a millstone around your neck. That's the point.
I'd like to be able to read during my free time at work, and don't want to attract attention from my boss, coworkers, etc.

· Registered
92 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
Correct Rowling beliefs that books are supposed be an escape from technology or something. She wants children to get away from computers and tv and so on. Something along those lines.
Wow. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Does she hand print every copy?

· Registered
66 Posts
Even though most books that were published within the past 10-20 years exist in some type of electronic format, presumably there is still some cost involved in converting it into Kindle format and making it available on the Kindle store. I seem to recall Tim O'Reilly, founder of O'Reilly Media, the tech book publisher, saying that the cost was about $200 per title. Therefore, I would think that for certain older and more obscure titles publishers would need to be convinced that they could at least recover their costs, if not actually make a profit on the sales of the Kindle version.

· Registered
3,107 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

· Registered
1,152 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Any word on Tolkien's books? (I click on the Kindle link of these frequently) One of the book series I've loved the most, and look forward to reading on Kindle!
The American publishers (Houghton-Mifflin) said the Tolkien estate won't publish them in e-book format. I sent an e-mail to them. I will try to find the link to the Tolkien estate's website for you.

Perhaps if enough of us send kind requests, explaining that we have them in hard copy form but would gladly purchase them again, maybe they will give in. LOL

· Registered
517 Posts
mwvickers said:
Here is a link to the Tolkien estate. If you would consider sending them a message/request, in the link below, use the left side (the Tolkien Estate side).

http://www.tolkienestate.com/contact/
Thanks for the link - I sent a nicely worded request.

As others have said, make the request courteous and respectful, a positive note, not a demand. And, you never know - maybe a few thousand of these, plus clicking on the Amazon links....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.