Kindle Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
A request is certainly a good idea....however....

I heard a story on the news awhile ago that the Tolkien heirs have not received a penny in royalties from any of the LoTR movies -- even though they were supposed to cash in at a rate of something like 40%. Once again, "creative accounting" at work. Having been burned once, it makes me suspect that they will not be favorably disposed toward ebooks, no matter how many people ask and no matter how politely.

L

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Leslie said:

I heard a story on the news awhile ago that the Tolkien heirs have not received a penny in royalties from any of the LoTR movies -- even though they were supposed to cash in at a rate of something like 40%. Once again, "creative accounting" at work. Having been burned once, it makes me suspect that they will not be favorably disposed toward ebooks, no matter how many people ask and no matter how politely.

L
I can certainly understand why they would be that way. Still, we can hope.

· Registered
673 Posts
Leslie said:

L
Neil Gaiman was owed close to 100 MILLION from another comic book writer for royalties he never received. He created a ton of characters for the comic Spawn, well he created ALL the characters except for the main character. He was never paid! We are talking movie, book, comic, and toy royalties he never received. His case even changed copyright law.

He is pro ebooks obviously because he pimps for the kindle ;)

So I don't believe that is just the reason for the Tolkien refusal.

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
chobitz said:
Neil Gaiman was owed close to 100 MILLION from another comic book writer for royalties he never received. He created a ton of characters for the comic Spawn, well he created ALL the characters except for the main character. He was never paid! We are talking movie, book, comic, and toy royalties he never received. His case even changed copyright law.

He is pro ebooks obviously because he pimps for the kindle ;)

So I don't believe that is just the reason for the Tolkien refusal.
I don't think it is just the reason, I was just saying, they have a reason why they might be wary of entering into certain types of partnerships.

Also, Neil Gaiman is.... Neil Gaiman. One person, making decisions for himself. The heirs are "heirs" -- plural. Everything is more complicated when there are multiple people involved.

L

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.