Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An epic family saga set in South Africa.

A spurned lover marries for money and ignites a family feud of betrayal and revenge that spans three generations.

It is New Year's Eve 1924 and the fiery and volatile Charles McGill is devastated when the woman he loves announces her engagement to the mild-mannered Lucas Connelly, his friend and co-worker. Charles drowns his sorrow in drink and seduces Hilde Richter, the spinster daughter of a wealthy businessman.

When Hilde finds she is pregnant her desperate father offers to set up the penniless Charles with his own bakery if he will marry her. Charles readily agrees and, unknown to Hilde, the two men draw up a contract. It is the beginning of a bitter rivalry between Charles and Lucas, and their vengeful former employer, Miles Davenport. A rivalry that fractures families, tests love and loyalty, and comes at a cost that Charles could never have imagined.

The Breadwinners covers six tumultuous decades and leads us through the ruthless and cutthroat business dealings of the three families as they survive the great depression, the war years, the isolation of South Africa and the advent of company takeovers.

If you like historical fiction set in exotic locations, and enjoy authors such as Barbara Taylor Bradford, Catherine Gaskin and Belva Plain then grab a copy of The Breadwinners

REVIEW
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
I originally downloaded this as a sample but had to purchase it as soon as I got to the end.

I've always loved a good multi-generational saga and read a lot of them back in the 70s and 80s. I'm glad I jumped back into the genre with The Breadwinners.

The story follows three families with bakeries in South Africa. There is intense rivalry, some of it caused by love or lack thereof, and others by revenge. There are enough twists and backstabbing, love and lust, functional families and dysfunctional families to keep the story moving right along and the author wound up the storylines so that I could see how the families would continue on.

Links to worldwide purchases.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Jan, and congratulations on your book!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature.

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice). A new post that starts a new thread, when you already have one for a given book, may be deleted.

--While we encourage you to respond to member posts, you may not make back-to-back posts that are less than 7 days apart. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must, again, wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then. "Premature" posts may be deleted.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here, in whole or in part, as they are easy to find via a link to your Amazon book page. (You may post the link.) Similarly, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sounds like an interesting story! We recently visited South Africa, but missed seeing Durban. I have very fond memories of your beautiful country though. I'm excited to check out your book!

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hsuthard said:
Sounds like an interesting story! We recently visited South Africa, but missed seeing Durban. I have very fond memories of your beautiful country though. I'm excited to check out your book!
Hi Holly,
Sorry you missed Durban on your visit to SA. :( Were you here for the Soccer World Cup? The Breadwinners gives quite a bit of Durban's history, and also the history of the baking industry, where I worked in R&D for 12 years. Hope you'll enjoy the book.
Regards
Jan
:)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
THE BREADWINNERS
A family saga set in South Africa​

It is 1924 and the fiery and volatile Charles McGill is devastated when he discovers that his friend and business partner, Lucas Connelly, has become engaged to Addy Brody, the woman whom he hoped to marry himself. Charles drowns his sorrow in drink and seduces Hilde Richter, the unattractive daughter of a wealthy Durban businessman. When she finds she is pregnant, her father offers to set up the penniless Charles with his own bakery if he will marry her. Charles readily agrees and, unknown to Hilde, the two men draw up a contract. It is the beginning of a bitter rivalry between Charles, Lucas, and Miles Davenport their former employer. The story spans a period of fifty years and leads us through the fortunes, joys and sorrows, successes and failures of the three families as they survive the great depression, the war years, and the isolation of South Africa.

The story includes much information about the history of Durban and the baking industry. 8)

Got my first review on Amazon.com :) and it was a 5 star ;D

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick reminder that the FREE offer expires on the 18th December. Not sure how the time zone works so I'm posting it now in case you would like to take advantage. :)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to comments from my Kindle Select freebie I am now having a new cover designed. Should be up in a few days. :)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New cover for The Breadwinners now up.

Made it through the pitch stage of the 2012 ABNA awards. :)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made it to the ABNA quarter finals and received this lovely review.  ;D

ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

I thoroughly enjoyed this excerpt. Charles is a conflicted man, a flawed hero, and the author nimbly renders the inner conflict regarding his seduction of Hilde and his pride in the resultant paternity, as well as his lovelorn abjection. Character development is pitch-perfect. The narrative tension is growing steadily. The pace and rhythm is lyrical, and the local color/environment is vivid. This author knows how to write an entertaining and substantial narrative.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

From what I have read, this is ready to be published. I was hooked from the first page by the writing and by the character of Charles. The author pays attention to detail and local color, creating an environment of dimensional characters and conflicts. The prose is muscular and the mood and tone are spot-on. Moreover, I was intrigued by secondary characters, for example the obese Benjamin, who fears the potential violence of his father. There is nuanced foreshadowing here. The author is also portraying the prejudices of South Africa with subtlety. I would certainly want to read the rest of this story.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In response to reader comments I have now changed the ending/final chapter to give greater reader satisfaction  :)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Breadwinners will soon be available as a paperback with CreateSpace - so watch this space :D

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Durban is one of SA's favourite holiday destinations. Don't forget to visit us and see the setting for The Breadwinners :)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
People seem more impressed when you show them a print copy of a book than seeing it as an e-book. Now have a list of friends who want to borrow my proof copy to read  ::)

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is mid-summer and hot and humid in Durban. I can't imagine what it must have been like in the 1920s when The Breadwinners is set. No fridges or air-conditioning :eek:

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chapter one

There were many reasons why Charles McGill would remember the night he first took Hilde Richter. He could never think of it as the night they first made love, for he would never learn to love her. A resigned tolerance was the closest he would ever manage.
It was New Year's Eve 1923 - his first Hogmanay in Durban's sub-tropical heat. Charles was missing the cold northern climes of his native Scotland, and a family for which distance had made his heart grow unusually fond. But this only partially explained his being more than a little drunk.
While stopping by to deliver the Richter family's New Year stollen bread he had been mistaken for an invited guest, anonymous amongst the gentry who were spilling out onto the veranda and lawns in search of cooler air.
A glass of fruit punch was eagerly placed in his hand by the host's daughter. He swallowed it untasted, hoping to deaden the pain of betrayal that threatened to overwhelm him.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts