Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And still they come."

Was digging around my CD collection and came across "Jeff Wayne's Musical War Of The Worlds". It has been a long time since I listened to it and thought, "What the hey, why not?"

First time I heard it was probably when it came out back in 1978. I was working in the kitchen of a restaurant -- a busy restaurant -- and we had the radio tuned to an FM station that would often play whole albums. So, there I am, sweating over a hot oven, when I hear the above lyrics. And, naturally, I thought, "What rubbish. That doesn't make sense." I had no idea what was being played at the time. But I started listening and really enjoyed it.

A few months later I came across the 2LP set and bought it. Beautiful drawings in the accompanying booklet -- and with LPs, they weren't post-card sized, like you get with CDs. Much later, I bought the CD set.

Listening to it again brought back memories. Richard Burton's narration was spot on. I love Justin Hayward's 'Forever Autumn', and always get a shiver running down my back when the steam whistle blows. 'Thunder Child' gets to me, as I've always had an affinity for things naval, and Julie Covington's voice in 'Spirit of Man' . . .

I'm a little in awe of the album. Unlike the movies or radio play versions, Jeff Wayne faithfully followed the events of the book, without figuring that moving them up to the present time would make it better. I appreciate that.

Funny how music acts as a trigger to the memory. Certain songs put me in a place and time now past. They can recreate the emotions of the moment. Not all songs, but enough that music has become a big part of my memories.

Anyway, here's to Jeff Wayne and his vision.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I love this album!  Had it on LP, and later bought it on CD and ripped it to MP3.  As you said, brilliantly done.  What is unfortunate is that Jeff Wayne doesn't seem to have done anything else of consequence.

Rick Wakeman has some similar albums, notably "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" was also good.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I remember "Where do you go to my lovely" by Peter Sarstedt.  I remember hearing it once or twice on the radio in 69 or 70.  It made a big impression on me and I never heard it again until maybe the last year when I found it on youtube.  Gotta love the internet

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Val2 said:
I had that on an LP a long time ago! I love Richard Burton as narrator.
I can't think of anyone who could do better. It's one of the casting matches that seem so obvious in retrospect.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I don't remember ever listening to the entire thing but my brother must have had the LP because I absolutely fell in love with the song Forever Autumn and I love it with the Richard Burton narration in it.  I have to go look for that song online now...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I found this one, it looks like the very beginning and it sounds familiar to me so I must have heard the entire thing at some point.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the live show

And the world belonged to the Martians!

I don't particularly like going to concerts, but this is one I gladly would have gone to.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
How cool, I never knew there was a live show like that!  Excellent, though I could do without the creepy floating head narrator.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Hooded Claw said:
How cool, I never knew there was a live show like that! Excellent, though I could do without the creepy floating head narrator.
Agreed. I think it's supposed to look like Richard Burton, but . . .

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hehehe. I used to lie on the rug in front of the fire with a speaker on either side of my head. I really dug the use of stereo, especially during the conversations between David Essex and Richard. I never tired of it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kelvecion said:
Hehehe. I used to lie on the rug in front of the fire with a speaker on either side of my head. I really dug the use of stereo, especially during the conversations between David Essex and Richard. I never tired of it.
And when the whoosh of the missiles goes from ear to ear, you feel that sense of motion.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
This afternoon I popped into iTunes and wanted a mix of some sort.  So I picked the "Comedy Mix" on the so-called "Genius".  So I listened something by Tom Lehrer, a Ray Stevens song, and an old World War II popular song called "Run Rabbit Run" that I have never even listened to, but fit in well.  Then came "Dead London" from Disk 2 of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds".  It is finishing up now.  Well, I guess Apple was just kidding about the Genius part of "Genius Mix"....

·
Registered
9,664 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
drenfrow said:
Wow. I've heard bits and pieces of this a thousand times (no exaggeration, I lived in a recording studio in the 80's and excerpts from this were used a LOT) but I've never listened to the whole thing all the way through. Gives me the shivers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts