Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any China Mieville fans? A friend pointed me to his work, and I sampled The City & The City, a speculative fiction style mystery about cops investigating in a murder where two cities occupy the same space but where, by law, citizens ignore places and people in the other city through a method of "unseeing." It's an intriguing work for those who like things that stretch genre and boundaries.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I liked it, but not extremely so. My GoodReads review:

Overall a good read, though it started out somewhat slow and difficult for me, in part due to the writing style, with often choppy dialogue that could be difficult to follow and narrative that sometimes seemed to ramble and be equally difficult to follow.

Once the story got going, I was pulled in enough to get over those hurdles. There were enough twists to keep things interesting, and the resolution was generally satisfying.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read Perdido Street Station and thought it was very interesting, though not without certain nagging flaws. I'll probably get around to The Scar eventually. If I like that I'll consider some of his other works.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I really love this author. I have Perdido Street Station as a must read every year now.  I really like The City and the City, it was better the second time I read it.  I have Embassytown now, his latest work.  I'm having trouble getting into it so I set it aside for now.  I'll probably go back to it next month.  Kathy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I must have just gotten bogged down in the beginning. It felt like a lot of atmosphere, but I wasn't actually clear on what was happening, so I put it down and never picked it back up. I still sort of regret not finishing it, because it looked so promising.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
India Drummond said:
I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I must have just gotten bogged down in the beginning. It felt like a lot of atmosphere, but I wasn't actually clear on what was happening, so I put it down and never picked it back up. I still sort of regret not finishing it, because it looked so promising.
I had trouble getting into it, too, and might have given up on it if I hadn't been reading it for a book club. Between the perhaps intentional plot/setting confusion early on and the -- to me -- overly complex prose at times, I couldn't get into the flow. Once it finally got going, though, it did start to flow better for me, and I ended up reasonably satisfied that I had read it, though I still could not give it an overwhelming "thumbs up".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.