Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
THE CREEPING CITY IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!

Reality has broken down, allowing the spirit world to bleed into our own. The source of this chaos, an ancient demon, stalks the streets, rallying his strength for a final confrontation with the young woman who has the power to stop it and to save our world.

Erik Handy, the author of The Web, brings you an urban fantasy epic that will stretch your imagination . . . and make your skin crawl.

$1.99

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
An excerpt:

It slept.

It had found a cold spot under the city, away from the limp pile of corpses and the lingering stench of that bitch.

It slept while above, among the fragile towers and their feeble tenants, reality bent and broke. It felt the tears and shivered warmly. The cosmic destruction shook its cells and took shape in its dreams, dreams that could have been memories if it allowed itself the fool's game of remembering.

So it slept and dreamed of a possible past . . . . and of a name.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Reality has broken down, allowing the spirit world to bleed into our own. The source of this chaos, an ancient demon, stalks the streets, rallying his strength for a final confrontation with the young woman who has the power to stop it and to save our world.

Erik Handy, the author of She Never Dies, brings you an urban fantasy epic that will stretch your imagination . . . and make your skin crawl.

The Creeping City -- $2.99

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Erik Handy, the author of Hell of the Dead, brings you an urban fantasy epic that will stretch your imagination . . . and make your skin crawl.

NEWLY REVISED for maximum excitement potential!

STILL ONLY $2.99!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Creeping City is my third most popular book! Not too shabby!

Here's an excerpt:

"I don't believe this."

The planchette quivered. The wooden triangle with a hole bored through one of its peaks felt warm to the two girls' touch.

"Quit moving it," Abby demanded.

Brittany shook her head. "I'm not moving it."

Both girls sat across from each other, the aged Ouija board between them. The board's letters, dark and bold, shone through the faded layer of the wood. Shadows from the tiny candles at each corner of the board danced along the bedroom walls and along each of the girls' soft faces.

They kept their fingers firmly on the planchette. Brittany felt the device vibrate. She thought she could hear a barely audible hum emanate from somewhere in Abby's bedroom. She tried to pinpoint its location, but the drone shifted position each time she focused on the intruder noise.

"You're moving it," Abby said.

"I am not." The hum now gnawed at the back of Brittany's head and reached up into her ears.

The planchette crawled to the middle of the board, now warmer.

"Look," Brittany said.

"A." Abby grinned.

Brittany felt a bead of sweat roll slowly, gently, down her back, gathering speed as it neared the bottom. The humming filled her eyes. A sliver of tears formed. "B."

The planchette slid a millimeter above the B and then back down over it.

"B."

"I'm not doing it," Brittany mumbled. The planchette, down to --

"Y," Brittany breathed.

Abby just grinned. She looked up at her friend and shook her head. "This is crazy."

The wood turned to rubber beneath Brittany's cold fingers.

"D," Abby said. "D?"

Brittany stared at the planchette to confirm it was still just a piece of wood. She pressed harder on it.

"I."

"I'm not doing it," Brittany mumbled again, louder this time. The humming drone filled her ears, eyes, body. The warm hum.

Abby didn't hear Brittany's denials or any hum. The unfolding message numbed her to any external stimulus.

"E."

Brittany snatched the planchette and jammed the tip into her friend's right eye.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Brittany and Abby's lives are forever connected by a brutal moment of violence. Together they plunge into a supernatural odyssey of revenge and redemption. Together they plunge into The Creeping City.

Still only $2.99!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
a random page:

"Nah. She's okay."

"What if it's not snafus in time or aliens? What if this is it -- the end of the world?"

"What if it's not? What if things have just changed and now we have to adjust?"

"What if some ancient civilization that was wiped out thousands of years ago has come back via their advanced metatechnology?"

That shut everyone up. But only for a few seconds.

"I wonder if this is going on anywhere else."

"Wow. On a global scale. I can't fathom --"

"Guys." Everyone turned towards the voice. Shelly. "What if --"

She rolled onto her back. Her face contorted and shifted, never steady, like silk in the wind.

"-- the dead are angry. And hungry."

Then she wasn't over on the bed. She was falling on them from above!

The nerds scattered from the room, briefly bottlenecking at the door. One thought he was being attacked by a giant bird of some kind -- beak and claws biting and scratching his throat and torso. One felt a stinging warmness burn down his back and legs. The others who were untouched by the monster thought they saw a woman a bit younger than them in the hall.

Alien Guy ran to the elevator at the end of the hallway. He jabbed the door close button. The young woman dashed into the car just before the doors slid shut.

Brittany backed away from the other guy. She wished the elevator car was larger. He was as scared as her. He kept looking her up and down.

"You're --" He started. Shaking his head, he crumpled to the floor. Brittany jabbed a floor button. Any floor.

She wanted to ask him what was going on, but she succumbed to the same affliction he did -- panic silence.

The elevator bounced slightly, and then descended smoothly. Brittany looked up and saw they were going to the basement. She pressed the button for the ground floor, but the car ignored her and descended past the ground floor. And stopped.

The guy looked up at her. She kept pressing the ground floor button, but the elevator remained steadfast in its location. The doors slid open.

Brittany stepped back, prepared for some new strangeness.

The basement was dark and cluttered. Old tools were scattered along the floor. Rusted paint cans sat on their sides. A musty odor wafted into the car. Brittany scrunched up her nose. She pressed the door close button. Nothing happened. The doors didn't shut. Nothing moved.

The guy got to his knees and peeked into the dank room.

Brittany searched for an emergency phone and found nothing. She tried the button, every button. Giving up, she joined the guy on the floor.

"The elevator won't work," she said. "There's probably another way out." She nodded towards the basement. "Out there."

"No way."

She looked up at the car's ceiling. "We could climb."

He looked up. "Do you feel that?"

"What?" She could sense a pressure coming down on them, like a change in climate. Maybe it was the depth, though a small one, they were at.

A thin whistle cut into the silence.

From above.

The pair got to their feet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A random creep:

Brittany ignored her, squeezing her fists against her eyes. The thought blared in her head, discomfort piercing her face and eyes, like an embedded planchette.

I've felt this before, Brittany thought. And I couldn't control myself. I'm just a watcher.

Kill.

Living.

And dead.

All.

She grabbed Abby's head with both hands and yanked her within kissing distance. Abby remained calm.

"Brittany," Abby repeated.

Brittany didn't know why she was doing what she was. She just wanted to run away. She let her friend go. "I'm sorry. What's wrong with me?" She began to cry.

Destroy.

Abby put her arms around her friend. "There's someone inside you."

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
one beginning:

She discovered that she was running.

Running.

Through a stygian place barely defined by any form or depth. From behind, a swirl of male and female voices screeched her name. Their shapes formed around her. Or had she just noticed them? Trees all around, tall, stretched toward her. Watching. Bare gray stalks scratched and poked her.

Trees growing up towards an alabaster sky, turned into towers of cold stone and steel.

City.

Watching.

Knowing, but not telling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Erik Handy, the author of She Never Dies, brings you an urban fantasy epic that will stretch your imagination . . . and make your skin crawl.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Brittany and Abby's lives are forever connected by a brutal moment of violence. Together they plunge into a supernatural odyssey of revenge and redemption.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.