Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Erik Larson, the author of one of my favorite books The Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storm, started a blog this year. Here's the beginning of his blog entry for July 7th:

Once again I'm stranded in the "dark country of no ideas," as a friend of mine once described it-that place where I end up after completing a book. For whatever reason, I never have a backlog of ideas waiting for me. At the point where I decide on a particular subject, yes, I'll have competing ideas, but once I make my decision, those other ideas wither and die.
I thought it was a great way to describe that void (yes, art quilters get them, too....) I'm watching him on C-Span's Q&A program right now, and he's talking about the responsibility & pressure that having a best seller like The Devil in the White City puts on him. He said because of that, any book he proposes will be taken seriously, but that means he has to be especially careful in what he proposes....

Betsy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok, I'm clicking over to the link now, but my first thought is, "Oh, NO, DO NOT PULL A HARPER LEE..."

Ok, phew. That blog post was actually much more optimistic than I thought it was gonna be. I can imagine the pressure, sort of. I don't envy him. But I also don't think that, if I were in his position, my strategy for dealing with pressure would be much different than it is now, which can actually be summed up by a fellow KBer's Bill Hick's quote in her avatar-space (I have no idea what to call that): "It's only a ride..."

If I were forced to take life seriously I would probably last a day.

There's not much point in fighting certain things, I guess. Just go do things that interest you, and let the [whatever] come.

(Having said that, if someone said that to me -- especially if someone said that to me 10 years ago -- I would be possessed of an intense desire to punch them softly in the nose.)

Thanks for the link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts