Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did w/o tabs this time and just kept it left justified.  Well, now on the Kindle preview, there are no paragraph tabs.  Is there an easy way to add tabs to each paragraph or do I have to go back and 'tab' each one?

Thanks

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
cblewgolf said:
So I did w/o tabs this time and just kept it left justified. Well, now on the Kindle preview, there are no paragraph tabs. Is there an easy way to add tabs to each paragraph or do I have to go back and 'tab' each one?

Thanks
You're not supposed to use tabs at all. First line indent only.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, I use a first line indent. I write my draft with tabs, then go back and take them out. Just run a find and replace, using "^t" to locate tabs and leave a blank space for the replace. I did this literally about ten minutes ago.  :p

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
You're not supposed to use tabs at all. First line indent only.
^this. You should be using paragraph styles. You should be able to define a style and apply it to your manuscript. Better than adding 1,245 tabs back in. Also keeping a backup file when you start playing with things is advised as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can insert indents retroactively by highlighting text, clicking on "Paragraph" (in Word 2007/10 -- Word 2003 should also have an equivalent setting) and setting a first line indent. You can also set your line spacing through there, which is handy for formatting manuscripts for submission to publishers.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Do you mean adding tabs to a Word doc or your .mobi file? If it's your Word doc, highlight all the text, then go up to the ruler at the top and drag the top half of the hourglass shape at the left to where you want your first line indent to be. Then go back and get rid of the indent for your chapter headings, title page, and what-have-you.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Zoe Cannon said:
Do you mean adding tabs to a Word doc or your .mobi file? If it's your Word doc, highlight all the text, then go up to the ruler at the top and drag the top half of the hourglass shape at the left to where you want your first line indent to be. Then go back and get rid of the indent for your chapter headings, title page, and what-have-you.
This is the easiest way to do it. When I start a new document, the first thing I do is set my first line indent this way (works in Word and in opensource software.) Then each time you hit Return for a new paragraph, it automatically indents the first line.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, wait....I have no tabs currently and don't want to go through the entire novel and add them.  Sorry, but it's been 14 months since my last upload and I forget.  
Elhawk, I can do that now? Zoe, I will try that.
Other suggestions, I will take.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Don't do this by highlighting the whole doc. In Word, you need to open up your formatting and styles section, and modify the normal paragraph style to add an indent. That will affect every paragraph using or based on that style. You should then remove the indent from any other styles that don't need it. This is not only the right way to do it, but it will produce much better HTML when you save so that it can be more easily converted to an ebook format. The indent really needs to be part of the style, not part of each individual paragraph's attributes.

In Word I have a simple template I use for any new story that has basic styles setup. It prevents a lot of headaches later on.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lummox, I can do this now?  After doc has been written?  Sorry, comp illiterate...  I need the simplest answer that says, "Step 1, highlight the entire novel.  Step 2...."

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Kind of hard to say without seeing your document or knowing which version of Word you're using, but, assuming that your text is written under the default "normal" style:

Modify the "Normal" style to include a first-line indent. In Word 2010, you go to the Home menu, right-click the Normal style, and select Modify. Then select Format and choose Paragraph. Under Indentation select First Line.

All of those paragraphs should now automatically indent the first line.

You'll need to select other stuff, like chapter headings, and apply different styles. The beauty of styles is that, once you tag a paragraph as a style (normal, H1 heading, etc.) you can change ALL of them by modifying the style.

I hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts