Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how many are like me. The end of a novel is so hard to write. I honestly think I grieve at finishing. This one has been particularly hard. I kept putting off writing the finish. Now I have to. I'm out of any possible excuse to procrastinate, but saying goodbye to this series is really hard.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
I thought you were bragging that you just got to type THE END, and I was going to be a little jealous of you.

(I have an editing deadline scheduled for a little over two weeks from now and I'm nowhere near the point of typoing those two words, so I'm a bit freaking out right now. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off from work to stay home and write. And maybe the entire rest of this week, too.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
Me too, Amanda! I'm such a slow writer that typing "The End" is a rare pleasure for me.

My series has a lot more books to go yet, though, so I'm a long way from saying goodbye to it. I actually know (or at least think I know) how the very last book will end, but I try not to think about that too much. :) In the meantime, finishing an individual book is a marvellous feeling.

Psst: Amanda, it's best not to "typo" those words. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,262 Posts
I changed the ending to my WIP about 5 times already. And I know what you mean, because originally it was gonna be a stand alone novel, but I got about halfway through and started dreading having to cut ties with my characters, so now I've got a trillogy planned. It's like a trashy old girlfriend you had fun with, but you know you're gonna have to let go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amanda Brice said:
I thought you were bragging that you just got to type THE END, and I was going to be a little jealous of you.

(I have an editing deadline scheduled for a little over two weeks from now and I'm nowhere near the point of typoing those two words, so I'm a bit freaking out right now. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off from work to stay home and write. And maybe the entire rest of this week, too.)
I will type "The End" in an hour or so. I've been editing the rest of it in order to procrastinate finishing. It is SO hard.

ETA: It doesn't help that the characters I love... Well, it's historical fiction. You know how it ends. I keep crying. :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
I have been trying to write the ending as soon as possible to fight this kind of thing. For my newest WIP, I wrote the first draft of the ending while I was in the middle of the book because that was enough notice to see exactly where I was going with it. I knew how it would end, but it takes more than two sentences in an outline to make an ending. :p

Even if you have to change it later, it's best to work on that ending early. It helps in tying up loose ends in the story as you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BrianKittrell said:
I have been trying to write the ending as soon as possible to fight this kind of thing. For my newest WIP, I wrote the first draft of the ending while I was in the middle of the book because that was enough notice to see exactly where I was going with it. I knew how it would end, but it takes more than two sentences in an outline to make an ending. :p

Even if you have to change it later, it's best to work on that ending early. It helps in tying up loose ends in the story as you go.
Believe me, I'd change the end to "They lived happily ever after" if I could. I hate this part, but there isn't any way to change it.

Gah. :'( :'( :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Abraham DeLacey Giusseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley said:
I was afraid JR was telling us no more books!
But it makes me smile that you think that would be a bad thing. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Sorry, couldn't help it. As soon as I saw the tread subject, I thought of this.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amanda Brice said:
Occupational hazard of writing historical fiction about actual people and events.
True. True. *sigh*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
I usually write the ending fairly early on so I know what I'm aiming for. But, yes, I too have had the phenomenon of what I call "post-partum depression." Doesn't strike me as much now as when I was a beginner, though.

What I still hate -- and is the main point here, I think -- is killing off characters I've grown to love. That was particularly difficult in Shadow of Stone, which includes a retelling of the Battle of Camlann, where a vast majority of the main characters, good and bad, die. Since the story is already there, it's a little like writing historical fiction -- unless, of course, I were inclined to do a "First Knight" and have all the good guys survive and King Arthur live happily ever after, ruling a peaceful Britain after the Saxons had been defeated once and for all ...


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
See, this is where we differ, Jeanne. I get about 2/3 the way through and can hardly stop myself, I'm so eager to get to the end. It's starting a new one that's hard for me.

But yeah, I do hate to leave familiar characters behind. It's like moving away from your bestest friends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
JR

As for writing a series I can imagine saying goodbye has got to be difficult, especially a long one. I started a Sci-Fi series last year but put it on hold to get a stand along novel out of the way that was keeping me up at night. Now I'm almost scared to go back to the series because, unlike everything else I've ever written, I have no idea how it will end. And I have a perpetual phobia of writing myself into inescapable corners of pointless resolutions and deus-ex-machina's. But that's just me.

Hope your latest work does well.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
N. Gemini Sasson said:
See, this is where we differ, Jeanne. I get about 2/3 the way through and can hardly stop myself, I'm so eager to get to the end. It's starting a new one that's hard for me.

But yeah, I do hate to leave familiar characters behind. It's like moving away from your bestest friends.
For me, this last part of the last book is like experiencing their deaths. It was hard enough in Freedom's Sword... but this was REALLY hard. At least I'm through now so I can stop crying. ::)

It's not like I didn't know when I started, but when I wrote the first one, I had no intention of writing all 3. I meant to make the first one a stand alone at least in part because I didn't want to write it.
 
G

·
JRTomlin said:
I wonder how many are like me. The end of a novel is so hard to write. I honestly think I grieve at finishing. This one has been particularly hard. I kept putting off writing the finish. Now I have to. I'm out of any possible excuse to procrastinate, but saying goodbye to this series is really hard.
Is that why you have more than 10,000 posts on this message board? ;)

Congrats and condolences!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Joe Vasicek said:
Is that why you have more than 10,000 posts on this message board? ;)

Congrats and condolences!
Probably. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top