Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, this came close...

But I ended up cracking with this...

Before I knew what I was doing, I clicked "buy now." Even though I've never owned a dog in my life, Marley and Me is really funny and endearing and it just compelled me to continue reading.

·
Registered
788 Posts
, for sure. I've put a lot of samples on my "save for later" list, but when I reached the end of my sample for Infected, I felt like I had to know what happened next.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm pretty sure this one was the first. I was about half way thru the sample and knew right then that I was going to be buying it as soon as the sample ended. It was so cool to download it right on the spot and keep right on reading. This is also the most I've paid for a book so far ($9.99), and the only one thus far that I've purchased at that price point. (I'm really enjoying this book, btw, and I am very pleased with the purchase, well worth the $9.99 I paid.)

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time

by Michael Brooks
$9.99

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is my first sample book...the good thing, is it was free from Jeff ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I first sampled The Lucky One, Dreams from my father, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.  I bought them all and enjoyed them all.  I thought I was maybe being greedy clicking on three samples the first day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dori said:
I first sampled The Lucky One, Dreams from my father, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I bought them all and enjoyed them all. I thought I was maybe being greedy clicking on three samples the first day.
You call that greedy? Oh, boy. Then I am guilty of down right Kindle-sample gluttony. I've been downloading 5 to 20 samples per day for the last 12 days.

But, I'm going to blame all that excess on the Kindle Honeymoon period. Yeah, that's the ticket... ;)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xia said:
You call that greedy? Oh, boy. Then I am guilty of down right Kindle-sample gluttony. I've been downloading 5 to 20 samples per day for the last 12 days.

But, I'm going to blame all that excess on the Kindle Honeymoon period. Yeah, that's the ticket... ;)
I love the free samples. Easily one of my two favorite features on the Kindle (the other being Whispernet and its wireless downloading in under a minute).

·
Registered
377 Posts
CS said:
I love the free samples. Easily one of my two favorite features on the Kindle (the other being Whispernet and its wireless downloading in under a minute).
Ditto! Those are my two favourite features as well.

-X-

B

·
0 Posts
The first book I bought because of the sample was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This was also the first book which was so good it inspired me to write a review of it.

·
Registered
569 Posts

When you find yourself actually talking to your Kindle while reading the sample, what choice do you have but to buy the book?

Linda Cannon-Mott said:
The Book Thief for me. I still can't do the covers :mad: but will work at it again this weekend.
I had some difficulty with it as well but I decided to "cheat".

Open one of the links used in this thread to a seperate page, come back here and quote a post that has a working link. From there you should be able to find out what you're doing wrong as you'll be able to see what information they used in their post, and where it came from on amazon's site.

I had been able to make a working link on the first try but I couldn't get the image, by "cheating" I found that I was leaving off half of the image URL.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Selcien said:

When you find yourself actually talking to your Kindle while reading the sample, what choice do you have but to buy the book?
I just requested a sample. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The actual first book I sampled and bought turned out to be only so-so (it lost steam about 2/3rds of the way through) so I am not going to recommend it. But, early on in my Kindle ownership, I was reading the New York Times book review (from my New York Times subscription!) and saw a review of this book. I immediately downloaded a sample and then bought the book. It was good--funny but poignant at the same time. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Actually, it was my Amplified Bible.  Even before I got my Kindle, on one of the discussion pages it was recommended that before I chose which Kindle Bible I wanted to buy.... that I download a sample to make sure it had a good TOC for ease of navigation.  So... I took that advice as soon as I bought my Kindle, and got the Amplified Bible sample.... saw that it worked wonderfully.... and ordered it!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mikuto said:
We must have been separated at birth or something Xia. I'm interested in pretty much everything you read. :D
Ha! Too funny. And, in that case, I'll be sure to pay extra good attention to your book recommendations!

-X-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts