Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised David Adams didn't post this first! :)

Hugh Howey Explains Everything

My favorite part:

"We (he and his agent) both understood from the beginning that it would likely be against my best interests to take the sort of deal that would be offered (by Big Six NYC publishers), but we also dreamed of a future where publishers and authors had a different sort of relationship...And so we pursued an impossible dream hoping that the strangeness of our demands (for a print-only deal where he kept his digital rights) might pave the way for future demands from other authors."

Hugh's determination to change the way publishing works - and succeeding with a print-only deal after turning down three rounds of offers - shows just what can be accomplished when you have clarity of purpose.

His books will be in US bookstores tomorrow, a triumph for indie authors everywhere.

Who's in Chicago? Any KBers want to meet me at Hugh's signing at the Book Stall?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hugh Howey said:
How have I not seen your book trailer before? It rocks! I got goosebumps.
I got seriously lucky with the talent of the filmmakers involved in the trailer! (I'm going to have a goosebump overload when Wool comes to the big screen!)

Can't wait to meet you in Chicago.
Very much looking forward to it! I've been told I need to shake your hand for all 25 Indelibles in my indie author group. ;)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Susan Kaye Quinn said:
I can't have eyes and ears everywhere, alas. :(

It's an awesome story though, and of course, pretty much tells us all what we knew already; Hugh is awesome.

·
Registered
773 Posts
:mad:

Hugh's not coming anywhere near Connecticut, so how do I get my copy of WOOL autographed?

Hugh ... can I persuade you to mail me a signed bookplate?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Loved reading the piece, thanks for sharing it here, Susan. And loved your trailer. Hooked me...

Betsy
Yeah, heck of a trailer ... whoa. I'd love to hear more about the process of having one made, Susan.

Ah, I wish I lived in an urban area where HH might put in an appearance. If he showed up around here, he might be tramped by cows. ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm really glad Hugh made this public, I knew most of this because of some conversations he had with my wife on podcasts, but it's good seeing it all laid out as it is here.

We are very similar in our approach - advances mean nothing...it's the terms that drive us nuts.  There is simply no reasonable explanation for "life of copy right" or non-compete clauses. I've had my battles and won a few rounds, but not to the extend that Hugh has.  Bottom line we just got to keep chipping away until they realize they HAVE to change.

Hugh, Bella, Coleen, and Brandon Sanderson have gotten their print-only deals - and there was a time I thought I would never see that happen. Now we just have to widen the hole in the wall they made and get these types of contracts available to people with "mere mortal" sales.  I'm willing to sell the print only rights for Hollow World, but my sales for my prior work isn't going to be high enough for anyone to bend over backward to get it.  Hopefully when it is is released in January it can catch fire...I'd like nothing more than to break down the wall just a little bit more.  It really needs to come down.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Becca Mills said:
Yeah, heck of a trailer ... whoa. I'd love to hear more about the process of having one made, Susan.
Full story of the trailer here, but the upshot: a friend connected me to the amazingly talented Beth Spitalny (she did work for MTV, and now is directing a show on the Discovery Channel). She liked the story concept and pulled together more talented friends, and for the price of production costs, they organized a shoot in NYC (right after Hurricane Sandy!). I'm still in awe that all these talented people wanted to bring my little indie story to life on the screen - basically for the experience, a chance to add to their reels, and for the love of it. I learned a lot about the indie moviemaking scene - they're all about the art, and it seriously rocks!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That was a well-written account of an incredible and nearly impossible journey by a talented and insightful author of some truly amazing books.

Did I miss anything?

Hugh - I printed out that story to reread one day, should I ever find myself fortunate enough to be in a similar situation...

Thanks for writing it and cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Susan Kaye Quinn said:

Hugh Howey Explains Everything

My favorite part:

"We (he and his agent) both understood from the beginning that it would likely be against my best interests to take the sort of deal that would be offered (by Big Six NYC publishers), but we also dreamed of a future where publishers and authors had a different sort of relationship...And so we pursued an impossible dream hoping that the strangeness of our demands (for a print-only deal where he kept his digital rights) might pave the way for future demands from other authors."

His stalwart stance is certainly inspiring. I wish his same success to every author on KB right now! ;D
Hugh's determination to change the way publishing works - and succeeding with a print-only deal after turning down three rounds of offers - shows just what can be accomplished when you have clarity of purpose.

His books will be in US bookstores tomorrow, a triumph for indie authors everywhere.

Who's in Chicago? Any KBers want to meet me at Hugh's signing at the Book Stall?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Will you ever make a swing through the south? Specifically anywhere within a 3 hour drive of Huntsville? I already bought 2 digital copies, but we want a signed hardcopy--my wife is hoping the sexiness rubs off on me.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Diane Patterson said:
That trailer is awesome.

Hugh's story is awesome.

I couldn't stop myself from rubbing in a bit of Hugh's awesome story on another site. In case they'd forgotten.
A FB indie friend sent me a link to that, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Was that you that I messaged? It's interesting that the person who banned me from the site is thrilled for my success, then goes on to say it's irreproducible. If you hang around these parts, you'd know that Bella and Colleen are getting the same treatment. And more to come, I hope!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts