Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so last week or so, there was a great idea from Dean Wesley Smith about getting custom made giftcards with coupon codes on the back so that we could see our ebooks through stores. 

The idea hasn't left my brain.  I could imagine myself at a book with paperback AND ebooks (in the form of the cards).  I could have 8x10 printouts of the book cover to give away, signed, so that nobody leaves without something signed.  OR I could even do a deal with a book and an ebook together, something special for the signing... etc.

But I have one concern - and if it's dumb, I apologize in advance...

But for coupon codes on Smashwords, it's one code, right?  One code per book... so if I get say 50 cards printed and someone buys a card for $3.00 - who's to say they don't scratch the code and post it somewhere or give it to their friends to use too?  Not that I would expect people to do something like this, but hey, you have to think worst case, right?

My fear is that if you do this code thing, someone buys the card, gets the code, uses it, gives it away... you see you've "sold" 100 books but didn't generate any income.  Ut-oh.  You can't pull the coupon code because what if people bought cards and haven't used them yet?  Etc... etc...

So my question... is there way to have individual codes per giftcard and does Smashword allow more than one coupon code per book??? 

-jb 8)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Smashwords does allow more than one coupon code per book.  I don't think there's a limit, if any.

So you could use a separate code on each giftcard, and then shut the coupon down once you see it's been used.  But that may affect the cost of the cards, printing a different code on each card.

A cheaper alternative might be to place the cards in small sealed envelopes instead of being scratch-off.  You could then just hand-write the codes onto the cards.

Wonder if Smashwords would consider adding an option to limit the number of times the code is used?

·
Registered
784 Posts
jimbronyaur said:
...so last week or so, there was a great idea from Dean Wesley Smith about getting custom made giftcards with coupon codes on the back so that we could see our ebooks through stores.

The idea hasn't left my brain. I could imagine myself at a book with paperback AND ebooks (in the form of the cards). I could have 8x10 printouts of the book cover to give away, signed, so that nobody leaves without something signed. OR I could even do a deal with a book and an ebook together, something special for the signing... etc.

But I have one concern - and if it's dumb, I apologize in advance...

But for coupon codes on Smashwords, it's one code, right? One code per book... so if I get say 50 cards printed and someone buys a card for $3.00 - who's to say they don't scratch the code and post it somewhere or give it to their friends to use too? Not that I would expect people to do something like this, but hey, you have to think worst case, right?

My fear is that if you do this code thing, someone buys the card, gets the code, uses it, gives it away... you see you've "sold" 100 books but didn't generate any income. Ut-oh. You can't pull the coupon code because what if people bought cards and haven't used them yet? Etc... etc...

So my question... is there way to have individual codes per giftcard and does Smashword allow more than one coupon code per book???

-jb 8)
I say, so what? ;) Get the exposure. If you're giving away 100 of them, you're probably selling 100 too, or at least 25 or so. So don't become obscure. Do it anyway, if this is your only concern.

My concern with this is that you're kind of scamming Smashwords. Yeah, they'll have new members, but they won't make any money off your sale, which is a shame, considering all they do for/with indies and ebooks, with no big costs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
isaacsweeney said:
I say, so what? ;) Get the exposure. If you're giving away 100 of them, you're probably selling 100 too, or at least 25 or so. So don't become obscure. Do it anyway, if this is your only concern.

My concern with this is that you're kind of scamming Smashwords. Yeah, they'll have new members, but they won't make any money off your sale, which is a shame, considering all they do for/with indies and ebooks, with no big costs.
YES! That's a concern too... I'm considered maybe doing something a little different then... read all the comments on Dean's site and did a little research myself... I could get a bunch of postcards with a promo code printed on them for a certain dollar amount off. Win-win for everyone I guess. Say my upcoming title is $4.99 for Kindle. I could have the postcards handed out, etc. and set the date when the code expires and have it be $3.00 off the purchase. Or something to that notion.

Hell, if you do it that way, you could have a cart on your site linked through PayPal and do discounts that way too. Imagine at a book signing you have postcards with a code for $3.00 your next purchase at www.YOURNAME.com... or through Smashwords, etc.

I'm not against giving things away, by all means, I want as many readers as possible... I was just thinking in terms of those who sell say 10,000 books a month... I couldn't imagine giving out a code and taking a hit. But then again you'd probably get residual on other books too.

*and the cycle goes round and round and round and round* ;)

-jb 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts