Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who has written a graphic novel and then commissioned someone to do the artwork for it? And if so, would you be willing to share how much you paid? Or even a ballpark figure, like 'low four digits', for example. I have a story that I think would make a good graphic novel, but I can't draw to save my life, and I'm wondering if paying an artist would be something I could afford to do at this juncture. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It depends.

Artist generally work for a page rate, rather than a price for the entire project (and in any case, always better to pay them in smaller chunks) and it can vary a lot.

But Marvel and DC (i.e. the publishers of The Avengers and Batman, respectively) start at 200 per page. That's just for pencils and inks. Colors and letters are done by somebody else and are more. That's the bottom basement for them - it only goes up from there.

Now you can get artists for less than that, but you are unlikely to get anyone pro quality for less than 100 a page.

Artists can, generally, at most do a page a day. So when someone is only charging 100 a page, they're barely making a living wage.

Having said all that, it IS possible to get artists to work for backend only pay, which is the only way I do it, now. I've found that artists who only get paid if the project gets published have more skin in the game and are less like to flake on me. But that's me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts