Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I can't recommend this book too much. I just finished it and its awesome.

The plot:
George is a 30 yo man who is afraid of his newborn son. He cannot touch , hold or even love his son or he will get extreme panic attacks. His wife gives him an ultimatum, therapy or divorce, so he goes to a therapist.

George casually mentions to his shrink, that at age 11 he was under psychiatric care. The shrink asks for details and George cannot remember so the shrink says to write about his childhood in journals.

The book jumps from the present (30 year old George) to the journals (11 year old George) and back again weaving a tale along the way about how George lost his dad and his coping with the grief with an imaginary friend called Friend.

I won't say more without ruining the plot but that has to be one of the most lyrical and literary modern horror story I have read in a long time. To think this is a DEBUT novel is amazing.

I just hope Hollywood never finds The Good and Happy Child...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MichelleR said:
I'll check out the sample. :)
Angela said:
I wasn't sure if I should also post this is the Christian books section. Its not written as a 'Christian book' per se but faith and religion does play a part in the book.

Also the ending is ambiguous. You make of it what you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts