Kindle Forum banner

33721 - 33740 of 34582 Posts

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Good Morning

No surprise in the desert weather with no change in sight.....but gosh we are half way through July already !! I am digging through some bookshelves looking through books, pamphlets, etc. from some of my travels...wonderful memories !!

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Be safe, my Friends

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Good afternoon from southern Arizona. I am glad that my windshield wiper blades were replaced on Monday. When we left the courthouse on Tuesday, it had just finished raining. I stopped at the Boothill parking lot in Tombstone on my way home from Bisbee to eat yogurt that I had brought and to drink a can of Squirt. I had a headache and needed a mid-drive break. I also played Wizards Unite for a bit as there were a couple inns and a fortress there. I finished sewing a couple more masks that I added iron-on turtles that I had printed on my ink jet printer. I wore one in court yesterday and am wearing the other today. I am doing laundry as soon as I get home today.

It turns out that both of Dusty's supplements are medications. One specifically for his joints and the other for general pain and inflammation. His blood calcium levels were elevated which could be from a multitude of possible problems.

Hope your day is wonderful. Be safe and be excellent to each other.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
telracs said:
Thanks NapCat. I will wear my Scardy Cat badge with honor.

you mentioned getting the antibody test. i thought about it, but as i said, i have a weird immune system. i just don't titer. Meaning, even after multiple mumps/measles/rubella vaccinations, and 2 series of hepatitis vaccinations, i don't show antibodies.
Telracs, not sure if you were referring to me, but I meant I was thinking of getting the Covid-19 test. I don't trust the antibody test since I've been hearing there are a lot of false results. I still haven't gone for it. Since it is not required and none of my doctors have even mentioned it, I don't feel a push towards it. The line I saw once discouraged me from going.

I used the Lifecycle today and had intended to get in a short walk outside and some flute practice. I didn't do those. I slept more than usual, since I got sleepy earlier than usual last night. I have pulmonary appointment Friday afternoon. I asked for it and want to find out if I am deficient in some way from the pulmonary embolism two years ago or otherwise. I've been told there was no damage. Also want to find out why I don't have as much air to get through a musical phrase in my flute playing. I have to wait until Monday to see the ENT doctor.

My father's birthday was July 16, so I've been giving some thought to him and posted a photo on facebook of him at work when he was a draftsman before WWII. He got his architect's license in 1954 (according to my brother in a text today). He was born in 1918, so he would have been 102. Died on the same day 30 years ago (1990). He was 72. My brother Stan was the first man in our family to make it to 73 (this April). Actually the first of any of us siblings, since I am now 68. Our great uncle (grandfather's brother) made it to 81, which was pretty good considering he smoked almost all his life. Short Camels. He was single. We lived with him in his house. My grandfather was 65 when he had a fatal heart attack. I was 6, so I didn't get to know him that well. He lived two blocks from us.

We had great weather today, in the 70s, and I did not have the AC on all day. Heat wave is predicted for the weekend and beyond. Hope everyone has a good, kind and safe day.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning.  Continuing hot and sticky here. 

The last few weeks we have spent Friday evenings having supper with MIL (she lives with us) and playing three double rounds of cribbage on a 3-person board.  We are maintaining running scores, and so far I have stayed in the lead, woohoo (not a competitive bone in any of us ...  :p)!

Yesterday DH got a hold of some fresh trout fillets to grill.  I am very much looking forward to tonight's supper.

Everyone stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Happy Friday!
It's 77 in Austin this morning once again heading to 99.  There is the potential for some rain south and east of us, but apparently we have a "heat bubble" over us that will keep things dry.
I've been cleaning under my desk this morning.  My little Cubii elliptical that I keep under there has been very noisy lately.  I got an email today from Cubii support about lubricating and cleaning it, so I thought I'd give that a try.  I also grabbed the vacuum cleaner since I am pretty sure it's been a while since I vacuumed under there.  I had success.  The noise level is pretty much back to normal - that is, very quiet with an occasional squeak.

My talk with the AC folks went well yesterday, but talk about sticker shock!  Now we are debating whether to just replace the upstairs or do both.  The quote only saves $500 for doing two units instead of one.  The total for both is around $14,000 - yikes!  We have some savings, but we don't want to clean that out.  DH works for GM and he's already had to take a pay deferral; he's worried that layoffs are coming if the Covid stuff doesn't turn a corner soon.  And I work for a state agency who has already been asked to submit cuts for the rest of this year (through August) as well as the next two years.
Turns out that our original units were SEER12.  The replacement ones will be SEER16, so they will definitely be more efficient and much quieter - not that I've ever thought the current ones were loud.
I guess our next step is to look into the financing options.

Have a great weekend!  Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

No heat advisory - yet. But it will still be hot with a forecast high of 92.

Some laundry this morning and a couple of errands after that while II is sleeping. He said they are using the portable air conditioner in the security office so he at least gets to cool off some after making rounds. And he is taking a break between doing each level.

Another quiet weekend in store, I'm sure. Not much change there for us. Hope yours gets off to a good start.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Good Morning

No change in our desert weather, although the evenings have cooled off again and are delightful. I got a text from my pharmacy that two prescriptions are ready...drat, I really did not need to go to "town". Oh well, I am sure I will find something to spend my money on (Cookies!!).

Happy Friday I hope everyone has some sort of fun plans for the weekend, but please be careful. COVID is still out there and there are some people doing some truly stupid things.

Have Fun, Be Safe

Andra: That is a pretty high quote on your A/C units. Unless you have an emergency, I would keep shopping. If you can wait until winter, you we get better "off-season" prices.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
NapCat (retired) said:
Good Morning
Andra: That is a pretty high quote on your A/C units. Unless you have an emergency, I would keep shopping. If you can wait until winter, you we get better "off-season" prices.
A good bit of that is labor since both of the inside units are in an attic - not the same attic, mind you, two different attics. I am checking other places to see how much prices vary. The Googles said to get at least three quotes...

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
afternoon--

didn't go out yesterday even though it was the coolest day in a while thanks to a tummy ache.  am feeling better today, so i decided to go for a nice long walk.  proved to myself that i could get 1/2 way to outback with no issues (turned back home after that point), so if we ever have a day that is highs in the low 80s, i may order from there (i have a 25 dollar GC to use). 

annoying thing about walking.  well, not actually walking, about when i get home.  i am cool enough while walking, but the moment i get home and stop moving, it feels like all the sweat in my body comes pouring out.  does that happen to anyone else?

i'm planning on staying in this weekend, i'm going to binge some more versions of the man in the iron mask and the count of monte cristo.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Telracs, yes I am more sweaty after I get home, or after I arrive somewhere else (today it was an appointment at pulmonary doctor). I kept wiping my forehead with a bandana while waiting to see the doctor, all while keeping the mask on. I was thinking that at home it was because of all the stairs in an unventilated hallway. But now I recall that when I worked on Broadway and 56th that I used to arrive sweaty there. Had to rush and it was the 2nd closest job to my apartment.

I am going to have a breathing or pulmonary test at Mount Sinai West soon, but I have to have a Covid-19 test first in order to do it. Doctor didn't find anything wrong and says I had no damage to lungs or heart from the pulmonary embolism two years ago. I went because of occasionally getting short of breath while walking uphill and always on the 3rd and 4th flights to my apartment, especially now with mask on. Also noticed right after the pandemic got going that i don't have as much breath to get through musical phrases on my flute. He said those were two very different things. I should find out something about breath capacity for flute when I have the test and see him again after that. He said that the lack of conditioning since I stopped swimming in March and the weight gain contribute to the shortness of breath. Had to get on the scale there. I told him that I started using the Lifecycle last week.

Stopped at Whole Foods after the doctor. It is better to go there in the evening just before their 9pm close. I waited in line outside. It was more crowded in there than it ever is (lately) at the Morton Williams store. I also noticed this evening that the Amish Market, which is smaller even than Morton Williams was not at all crowded. The restaurants along 9th Avenue were busy with outdoor tables. Friday night madness. Some of these places only have two tables outside. It was so humid out today. I ate at home.

It will get into the 90s the next 4 days and then 87 the day after that, according to phone weather app.

Anna, I hope you finished at jury.  Wishing everyone well for today.

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

We're to be around 95 again today. Current humidity is 84%.

Mowing on the agenda for today. Plan on starting shortly 'cause it certainly won't get any easier to cut.

II is asleep at the other end of the couch. I don't think he planned on sleeping this morning, but looks like he didn't have a choice in the matter.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Stay cool, stay safe.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. Today's forecast is partly sunny with thunderstorms in the evening with a high of only 98°F; it is currently 81°F and it isn't even 8:30 yet.

The trial is over. We started yesterday with closing arguments, followed by ordering lunch, final instructions from the judge, and the drawing of juror numbers to see which two jurors were the alternates. The alternates were told that they could wait for their lunch but were free to go. They would be notified by phone to be told when they were free of their admonition or needed to return. The rest of the jury was given the courtroom to deliberate in after everyone else was cleared out and the audio visual system was shut off. We deliberated to resolve juror uncertainties until we had a unanimous decision. Our decision was guilty. I felt most at risk of infection during deliberations after lunch as most jurors did not put their masks back on. I stayed near the under window air conditioning unit as it was getting outside air. Other than that, the jury service experience was as good as it could have been considering that the case involved a young girl who had just started kindergarten at the time of the event. By the time of this trial, she was 9 years old and seems to be a happy and well adjusted child.

Today I have an origami Zoom meeting which will help me take my mind off the past two weeks.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
afternoon-

mlewis, i hope the breathing tests go well.  i hate having to do them, as i always start coughing in the middle.  i wouldn't want to walk along 9th ave if all the restaurants have outside seating, i think it must get kind of crowded.  or are they doing what some of the Brooklyn restaurants are doing, seating in the STREET as opposed to seating on the sidewalk?

and it's funny, my phone app has 90s for the next 2 days then high 80s after that.  i'm hoping for low 80s on Tuesday.

anna-  glad the jury duty stuff is over and that it seems to have gone pretty well.

my weird body thermostat is acting up today, and even though my phone claims 92 degrees out, i'm shivering.  so i think i'll do a little motown dancing to get my steps in while my body thinks it's cool.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
yes, it is 6:25 am and i am posting.....

went to bed around midnight, tossed and turned for an hour, then fell asleep for a couple of hours, then was up again, tossing and turning.  finally just gave up and logged on to do my daily swagbucking.  hopefully i'll be able to go back to sleep for a couple of hours shortly.

really want to go to Papa John's today, (i have a 25 dollar GC to use and they have a couple of 6 dollar deals), but we're going to be close to 90 with 85% humidity and it's about a 1/2 mile walk each way. 

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

Another sunny day in store with a high of 95. At least triple digit temps aren't in the forecast - yet.

Dew wasn't very heavy yesterday morning so got started on the mowing early enough to finish before noon. With no rain  in the forecast in the near future, maybe I can go close to 2 weeks before the chore has to be done again.

Maybe someday breakfast out will be an option again. In the meantime, I'm thinking oatmeal-pecan pancakes might be just the thing. And the recipe makes enough to freeze another day's worth.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning.  I about fell off my chair to see a post from telracs so early in the day!  :eek: ;D

There are some minor thunderstorms happening right now, nothing severe is anticipated.  Temperatures will eventually reach the high 80s with lower humidity.  That will feel positively balmy after the last couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it.

Our DS called yesterday to report he is back to work-from-home for the next two weeks after after 2 co-workers tested positive for Covid-19 and they shut down his offices again on Friday.  He has his own enclosed office and mask wearing has been required since they returned, but he has still had contact.  It is frustrating that he made calls to multiple health resources in the area and he is unable to be tested because he personally has no symptoms.  We had planned to have the grandkids here for a while on Monday for DH's birthday.  Obviously that won't be happening at all now.  :(  I just can't imagine what is going to happen here when our Governor has announced schools will re-open as usual in August with pretty much no mitigation plans in place.

Everyone stay as safe as you are able and be well.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Good early afternoon from southern Arizona. It is currently hot (95), humid, and overcast with a high of 97 predicted. We did not get rain yesterday and only 10% chance tonight. :( If we are lucky, we will get rain Thursday or Friday.

I spent yesterday in two different origami Zoom meetings for a total of a little over 5 hours of paper folding. :D

I live in a state, county, and city with no required mask ordinance. DH and I needed to go to Walmart for food, medications, and hardware items. I had not seen the store so crowded in months! It appears that everyone came to get in some shopping for the last day before the Walmart mandatory mask wearing requirement takes effect tomorrow. I stopped counting people not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly at 24 instances. After 5, I started counting the people out loud as I was getting irritated and passive aggressive. Fortunately, about 80% of the people were properly masked.

DH was recently notified that a close relative has undergone hereditary cancer genetic testing and has been diagnosed with PALB2-related hereditary cancer. It has been recommended that DH get tested and/or screened for this condition. The email implied that the PALB2 test would be free if done prior to September. I am looking today to see if he can be tested tomorrow or Tuesday. We would like to know the results in time for our daughter and granddaughters to be tested prior to September if DH tests positive.

I will also be looking to see if there is a place with free testing for COVID-19 for me. After speaking with my daughter and letting her know about my concern about exposure Friday during jury deliberation, she said that if I had been infected then, the test would be positive on Monday, even if I am not showing any symptoms. After I find out the various testing possibilities, I will spend the rest of the day setting up my craft room so that I can sleep in there if necessary. The room is right next to the hall bathroom and on the opposite end of the house from our bedroom, kitchen, and living room. I do not believe that I was infected but I do believe in being proactive and prepared.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Update that a third person in DS's office has tested positive.  After that news, he was able to get in for a test at a local walk-in clinic at noon today.  Results will supposedly be received by Wednesday.  Hopefully the personal precautions he has continued to follow will result in a negative test - the 3 who have tested positive already, though, had determined masks were no longer "necessary" in the work space so he has had his mask-to-their face contact with each of them.

Anna, we are in the same boat you are (and I hope you are able to quickly get a test).  No state, county, or city mask ordinances (and individual cities are not allowed to supercede the Governor's no-mask mandate).  If Walmart does enforce their national mandate here, I will start doing my once-a-month grocery shopping there instead of the closer local grocery store that has stopped senior shopping hours and does not require masks for anyone but employees (even those are not properly worn by maybe 20%) and the aisle directional/spacing arrows are ignored by almost all.

Online ordering and curbside pick-up has been lousy here, but I may try again next month to see if they have improved. I can deal with a "new normal" of rules.  I have a much more difficult time wrapping my mind around having to adjust to so many people who only care about their own needs and wants and not those of others.

/rant over

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Update: I have an appointment to be tested for COVID-19 on Friday at 2:30 pm in Tucson. Not as soon as I wanted to be tested, but better than nothing.

I have not yet been able to determine how best to get DH tested for the possible genetic variation that he might have inherited. I have sent emails to get clarification.

I did not get around to reorganizing the craft room.

Tomorrow is another day. ;)

33721 - 33740 of 34582 Posts