Kindle Forum banner

33781 - 33800 of 34582 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. It is already in the low 80s and headed to the low 90s with rain in the afternoon. The same is predicted for tomorrow.

Today will be laundry and an origami Zoom meeting after lunch. I will just be learning in today's meeting so no prep other than having paper and a beverage ready. :D I will figure out how to transfer my music from Google Play to YouTube Music on the family group account.

Crebel, yesterday's schedule probably sounded like more work than it was. Alternate description: Eat breakfast. Amble around the neighborhood playing a game on my phone. Sit at my desk having fun folding paper and video chatting with friends with breaks to get food and drink. Talk with my daughter on the phone. Eat and go to sleep.  ;D Today is the same but replace amble around the neighborhood playing games on my phone with laundry while playing games on my phone.  8)

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Good Morning

No wind at all making our 103 feel ungodly. I drove to one of the highest viewpoints in Death Valley (Dante's View) last night to see the Neowise Comet. With the moon roof and windows open, it was nice and cool and of course spectacular views.

It is a three and a half hour drive at night and in the mountains....so I am tired this morning, so I do not plan on doing much today.

Have a restful Sunday

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

71 degrees with 94% humidity and heading to around 92 with sunny skies.

Had the mowing done by noon yesterday. II spent a good part of the day straightening up his shop. It was in dire need of some attention. He works tonight but hopefully he can spend some more time out there on the days he doesn't work.

I woke up way too early and that seems to be happening too often recently. It is like the brain decides it can only go so many hours without thinking of issues it can't solve.

Laundry on my agenda for the day. And I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the ground turkey I thawed for dinner. Too many options sometimes.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Good morning.  It's 78 and foggy at our office building today.  I am up here because we are having some new network drops installed in our big meeting room before our August meeting.  I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in - they actually have the AC on.  Usually it's hot because there are not many people up here.

Great news about the negative COVID test Anna!

Let's see...  We have two new AC units at the house.  It took them from about 7:30am to 6:30pm to get them both done.  They had quite an interesting time with the tight spaces in the attics.  But the installers said that was pretty typical.  Oh wow - they are QUIET.  I never thought the old ones were particularly loud, but you can barely hear these even if you are outside standing right next to the condensers.
Hurricane Hanna went into South Texas on Saturday.  My brother and his family are in Corpus and they had wind and rain at his house, but they had already boarded up windows and stuff the day before so they were OK.  They still have power also.  Saturday was also my brother's birthday...
After having to replace my mom's cell phone without going down there - my MIL has decided that her iphone is not holding a charge and maybe she needs a new one.  I can't win.  I rarely use my work iphone - it's more for troubleshooting and stuff than actual use - so it's hard for me to answer questsions about it.  And she acts like she has never had to change out a phone.  sigh

Have a wonderful week.  Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning. Heat index warnings are gone here with humidity down, temps in the 80s, a few rain showers, dry by afternoon. Much better.

loonlover said:
Good morning.

I woke up way too early and that seems to be happening too often recently. It is like the brain decides it can only go so many hours without thinking of issues it can't solve.
Great way to put it. I am the same. I wish we still had chat here so we could "meet" in the middle of the night.

Andra, my mother and MIL are the same way any time they think something is screwy with their Kindles. They call me in a panic so I can once again walk them through the same fixes they have done before but haven't "learned" for themselves. Frustrating. They both even refuse to order anything from Amazon for themselves anymore. They tell me what they want, have me order it from my account and shipped to them and send me a gift card to cover. At least I finally convinced one of them they can peel off the strip on the back of the card and read me the code to enter and they don't have to physically mail me a card. ::)

Everyone stay well, be safe.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Good Morning and Happy Monday to those of you on some sort of schedule...

Not of breath of wind which make for dead silence, but also accentuates the heat...it was uncomfortable just to fill the bird feeders, I have many indoor plants which need dusting....Boy ! Isn't that the epitome of retirement ?? "Polishing the Philodendrons" Ha !

Hope everyone has a great and safe week.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona.

My lab work appointment is for 11:30 am. I am trying to decide if I should go in fasting or not. I forgot to ask.. It is already after 9 and I am not yet hungry. The drive to the lab is a bit over an hour since if I am going to eat, it should be soon. I think that I am just going to drink a few glasses of water and take a water bottle with me.

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
after the mostly fun day last Tuesday, i kind of crashed the rest of the week.  didn't go out of the apartment, but managed to get in about a mile of "walking" every day through Saturday.  But Saturday night into Sunday i just hit bottom.  didn't get out of bed at all on Sunday, and barely ate or drank anything.  didn't even text crebel!

i was bound and determined to do something today before it got to hot and humid.  so i set a goal for myself.  today i was going to see the Statue of Liberty (not visit her, just see her).  The Statue is one of my personal touchstones.  during the 5 years i was not in NYC, whenever i would come for a visit, i had to see her at least once. 

it's about a mile walk from my apartment to the brooklyn ferry pier where i can see the Statue, New Jersey and lower Manhattan in the distance.  walk there was okay, but hot.  on the walk back, i stopped at the grocery store.  the walk back is uphill and by the time i got to the store i was definitely feeling it.  and by the time i got home, well, i'm guessing it was a bit of heat stroke and dehydration that led to the blurry vision and dizziness....

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

We're to be warm today with sunny skies again. Then thunderstorms possible for the next 3 days.

You know how the more features a car has, there are more things to go wrong. The mirrors on II's car are motorized and the motor quit shutting off when he got to work last night. So it went to the dealer this morning. We are buying a new driver's side mirror, but at least they were able to turn the motor off so it won't drain the battery. Part has been ordered, they'll paint it once it gets here, then let us know when it is ready to install. We had already replaced the passenger side mirror after I hit a reflector sign with it pulling away after pulling over for an emergency vehicle. So we already know with labor and the paint job it will be around 500 dollars. Maybe I should be glad the new car doesn't have that same feature.

After we dealt with the car I got my allergy shot. We also stopped at the pharmacy and the produce stand, thus allowing me to put off the trip to Trader Joe's until tomorrow. I was able to find supposedly USA made hand sanitizer at CVS. I was correct about not finding disinfectant wipes.

Some more laundry, II resting after working last night, then seeing if the Braves look as bad as tonight as they did last night.

Hope your day is going well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Good morning/afternoon.
It's only 89 here right now but feels hotter than that to me...
We had an entertaining night last night.  One of the smoke detectors chirped yesterday morning around 4:30.  I couldn't figure out which one it was and it stopped, so I let it go until after work.  After supper we changed out the batteries in all 8 smoke detectors in the house.  And one or more of them kept chirping.  Personally that chirping noise just doesn't do it for me.  We have 4 of them in a cluster on the upstairs landing (one in eadch bedroom and one on the landing itself).  I find it impossible to tell which one is the culprit...  Well for some reason that noise set Ginger off.  She was terrified.  I've never seen her so scared.  She was shaking and hiding between the ottoman and the wall.  So DH was a mess because the pup was a mess.  We ended up taking all of them down - and even with the batteries out and them disconnected from the house wiring one or more were still making noise.  We ended up taking Ginger for a ride to get her settled down.  (Stopping at Dairy Queen so she could have a little ice cream helped too)
So it was late to bed and none of us slept well.  I've been reading about smoke detectors and we are just going to call an electrician and ask about recommendations.  Supposedly the ones we have are pretty good -  I just need a better way to tell which one is being noisy.  We also found out that they are over 10 years old and should be replaced anyway.  So maybe the noise was just one of them trying to tell us that we need new ones.  I don't know for sure.  I'm still cranky about it.  Good thing I don't have to talk to people today :)
Hope your day is less eventful.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Andra, ours started chirping like that a few weeks ago. Changing the battery didn't stop the chirping so we ended up buying a new one. I'm sure it was time anyway. We found one that is not supposed to need the battery changed and they say it will last 10 years. We'll have to see about that. I can see the pitch of the chirp being at a frequency hard on  Ginger's ears. Lucky dog - her owners know how to treat her right. Ice cream soothes lots of issues.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Good morning.  Our heat wave has been going on two weeks, although there was a break last Saturday when I could open the window but still used the AC.

I had to change the battery in my smoke detector last year because of the chirping, but then it chirped some more. I bought new batteries, but it still chirped. Showed it to the super. It didn't chirp for a few minutes while he was here and after he left it started again. The managing agent provided the smoke detector (this is the 2nd one I've had) but won't buy another. I turned the battery around and it was quiet, but it is probably not working. I cannot handle that noise. Once a long, long time ago (in the '80s) the one in my parents' house was chirping and my father refused to take the battery out until he got around to buying a new battery and he was not in a  hurry to do that. I wanted to scream.

I stayed in Sunday and Monday. Got up very late those days and used the exercise bike. I needed a walk though to stretch out my legs. I got a walk in Tuesday evening to go to Whole Foods. Needed more things at Rite Aid but brought the food home first so the milk would not go bad from the heat. I got in 3 miles just doing those errands. Used the indoor bike earlier.

I still have not gone to CityMD for covid test. I'm hearing there is a long wait, more than a week, for results, so I don't want to go. I needed it to schedule my breathing test at the hospital, but I could put that off.

I've been watching some baseball. I was a good Mets fan in the '80s (easy when they were good). Went to a lot of games then. When watching on TV, the announcers help to make it good. ESPN the other night was boring and they were losing by a lot. When they are on SNY, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are on with Gary Cohen. I am trying to watch more now in case we don't have it soon, considering all the Covid cases on the Florida Marlins.

When I was working on Maiden Lane (2014-18), we could see the Statue of Liberty from the offices on the west side of the floors. Our word processing office had no windows though. The best views were of the Brooklyn Bridge on the East River from a conference room. We were on the 39th Floor.

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
Good morning.

An expected high today of only 84 with the possibility of thunderstorms starting around noon and possible for the next 3 days. It is dry, but worry about power outages if the storms become severe.

I awoke with a headache; it is easing now that I've had some coffee. I am addicted to caffeine and didn't even drink 8 ounces of coffee yesterday. Could have been a contributing factor. I usually drink from 12-16 ounces in the morning, then just water the rest of the day. Back when I drank sodas I was staying with my mom after she had surgery. She wasn't supposed to have caffeine so I was drinking all decaffeinated beverages for a couple of days. I woke up nearly non-functioning the 3rd morning. She dug around until she found some M&Ms she had used in a recipe. I got enough caffeine from them I was able to make it to a store for some regular Pepsi. I would have a hard time if I ever had to quit caffeine cold turkey.

Heading to Trader Joe's later this morning. I do have a fairly long list. Still one of the places I feel the safest spending time in.

Hope your week is going well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning.  When I got up at 5 a.m. it was raining in my back yard, but not in my front yard.  That's happened a few times over the years, but it always surprises me!  It is now sunny, going to 86, and then rain with possible storms late this afternoon and evening.  The farmers are begging for rain across much of the state.

For those who want easy, quick relief of a caffeine headache, always keep Excedrin (or it's generic equivalent) around.  The active ingredients are acetaminophen, caffeine, and aspirin.  Works like a charm.

In looking through old pictures on my phone last night I found a couple of fun things my sister sent me so I thought I would share.

"I've been to a lot of places, but I've never been in Cahoots.  Apparently you can't go alone, you have to be in Cahoots with someone.
I've never been in Cognito, either.  I hear nobody recognizes you there.
I have, however, been in Sane.  They don't have an airport, you have to be driven there.  I have made several trips."  :D :D :D

and

"I started a new daily workout routine!  Every day I do diddly-squats."  ;D

Everyone stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Good Morning

Yesterday, I had one of those days where the "wheels fell off" anything I touched.....maddening. The worst was; Monday night we had a rare power outage which apparently damaged the pump in my water well. The damage is beyond my abilities to repair, so the Well Company is sending a crew out this morning.

110+ in the forecast as far as the "weather guessers" can see...Be Well and Safe my Friends.

Crebel: Thanks for the giggles....those are cute.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Good morning.  It's 77 and muggy in Austin this morning.

I have talked to a master electrician this morning about the smoke detectors and we have decided to replace all of them (big surprise) since they were manufactured in 2009 and that is old.  There is a strong probability that age is a contributer to the chirping that won't stop.  We also decided to add a motion-detected security light to the front of the garage in addition to the lights on either side.  It won't stop someone from breaking into DH's truck, but it might surprise them :)

Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
it's 88 degrees with 60% humidity here, so i think i'm going to crawl back into bed with my fan on and read romance novels.

i am thinking of getting something from the pizzeria later, and i have to remember to ask them if they want payment in quarters, because there seems to be some kind of coin shortage.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
telracs said:
it's 88 degrees with 60% humidity here, so i think i'm going to crawl back into bed with my fan on and read romance novels.

i am thinking of getting something from the pizzeria later, and i have to remember to ask them if they want payment in quarters, because there seems to be some kind of coin shortage.
My mother's building still has quarter-only washers and dryers. I spent the postage to mail her 2 rolls of quarters from my change jars because of the coin shortages here! Stores will only take exact change or round up to the nearest dollar if you try to pay for anything in cash. Supposedly round ups are going to the local food bank, so that's not too bad.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I think paying with cash is going out and rushed by the virus. I noticed a small bakery today that had a sign in the window "no cash."

Crebel, you made me laugh.

Loonlover, my caffeine of choice is Diet Pepsi. I gave it up two years ago for a while. Then I was careful about how much I drank. Now I don't care. I just don't drink it at night. I never owned a coffee maker. Used to keep instant coffee in the refrigerator in case it was needed. Main reason is that I don't drink it often and a lack of counter space. There is one other reason from pre-2000 that I won't mention.

I just tried to open a jar of Talenti gelato (Belgian Chocolate). In the past when I couldn't open it, I ran the top under water (warm or cold, didn't matter). I tapped on the side of the top and ran water several times and gave up. My wrist is unhappy with the effort. I wrote on their facebook page to ask for help. Once in the past, they sent me a coupon when this happened. The consolation tonight was that I had some vanilla Edy's. I was going to have them both in a mug.

Heat wave goes on. It just made it up to 90 today. My AC worked better today because I left it on while sleeping. It was in mid-80s when I went out at 7:30. Just awful. I did a few errands and went home. Wine store on 10th Ave. and Amish Market on 9th. 9th was rocking. Wednesday night. Not only the outdoor tables of restaurants, but people walking there like they did pre-Covid. At one point I stopped to let about 8 people by and said something about the crowd.

81 degrees now at 3:30, going up to 91 later. Today Echo told me to enjoy the sunshine (after I asked for the time). I said "Alexa, it is too hot out" and she said "I don't know that one." I said "you don't know much."

I wish you all a good day.

33781 - 33800 of 34582 Posts