Kindle Forum banner

34361 - 34380 of 34574 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Good morning.  It was 33 when I walked out of the house the first time.  I had to drive in to work to get ready for our big meeting next week.  I suspect I am going to run out of steam by lunchtime since I was up for several hours in the middle of the night again.
Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona.

Hope your day goes ok, Andra. Stay safe.. May you sleep well tonight.. This was my second night in a row awake too much during the night. Fortunately I don't have to drive to work!

Once again, dreams have woken me up way too early. Hopefully, after posting this then I can get back to sleep.

Monday I started the Decluttering Challenge from Just Get it Done Quilts. #jgidqdeclutter2021 I was already reorganizing and decluttering after my craft room move but this has added more focus for me, especially as I have a high tolerance for clutter. After yesterday's activities, I had cleared half a bookcase of stuff. I then set up the shelves for my current projects. The top shelf has the fabrics that I have pulled for the Nebula BOM and the complementary Gravity quilt that I will be making at the same time. Pat, my memory turtle pincushion, also fits on that shelf in a basket that I can move to my sewing table when I need her. She is still waiting for me to finish her with a green fabric skin. I will do that when I find the misplaced pattern. (Finish goal date is Mother's Day in memory of my mom who was known as Pat.) The second shelf has project trays and the patterns for Nebula and Gravity. (The Gravity pattern arrived yesterday.) There is also a tray with cut fabric strips from previous projects that might be able to used on the current projects. The third shelf has project trays containing the Journey2Nebula projects that are not yet finished. One is a quilted pillow cover that just needs binding, a couple are finished quilt tops that that need to be sandwiched with the backing, quilted, and bound, one is a fussy cut pillow cover that needs more pieces cut (Day of the Dead theme so planned for early fall), one is all the pieces cut for a table runner that hasn't had any of the sewing started, and the last is the Infinity Stones quilt  that I was in the middle of when we moved the craft room. I will probably work on Infinity Stones while working on Nebula and Gravity as all three use the same fabrics and will be used together. The other projects will be worked on after the room organization is done and I have time waiting for the next Block of the Month posting. (I am guessing I might be caught up in March.) My cutting table is completely clear except for the cutting mat and the rulers.  ;D

Jane, I do have a wheeled tote that I use when I need to transport my sewing machine, such as when I was sewing sofa cushion covers with my sister. I am thinking of using the carry bag for when moving my sewing machine and the associated tools and accessories within the craft room. My sewing/craft table will also be used for weaving, model building, paper making, and lots of other crafts. I will probably make dedicated tote bags for a few of my craft hobbies that don't already reside in tool boxes or baskets. (Note to self: Add roll up tool cases to future project list.) :)

Maybe now that is recorded, my brain will let me sleep a couple more hours. Starting Relax Melodies again. :)

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe and healthy. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
Good morning.

28 degrees this morning with a heavy frost. I was sure glad I didn't have to go anywhere early. I don't enjoy scraping the car. We will be in the 50s again this afternoon.

I can't seem to find a project to settle on, even if it is just re-organizing the kitchen cabinets. I know there are some items I use that could be made more accessible.

II is trying to get a couple of hours of sleep before haircuts at noon. We'll then either get something for lunch to bring home or come home and eat leftovers. Knowing us, we'll probably stop somewhere on the way home.

I'm still waiting on CVS to get me the epi-pen the new allergist ordered last week. Guess if it doesn't come in the order today, I'll be contacting the doctor's office to see if there is a different kind he can prescribe. I hadn't heard there was a shortage and the person I talked to at the pharmacy yesterday didn't know the reason they hadn't received it. Guess that may be a stop while we are out, also. It seems easier to get info in person than over the phone. The one I have is close to the expiration date so I would really like to get a new one.

Andra, hope your day improves.
Anna, hope you were able to go back to sleep.

Hope everyone finds a something to enjoy about the day. Stay safe.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Thanks, LL, I did go back to sleep and was probably asleep for 3 hours before another dream woke me up. This one was much better as in the dream I was able to have a conversation with my mom and hear her voice again. That kind of dream doesn't happen often.

I hope your epi-pen arrives and you find a good project to settle on.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
Good morning.

33 degrees with partly cloudy skies and heading to 59 degrees.

The epi-pen did arrive yesterday, but of course the notification it was ready came after we got home from our haircuts. So, we actually were out twice yesterday.

II's car going in for an oil change today. Since we'll be halfway there when we drop it off a run to Trader Joe's seemed in order.

Any trips out of the house are probably good for the mental health. I realized when we left yesterday I hadn't been anywhere since last Friday. It seems I either have lots of trips to make in a week, or almost none but there isn't any reason we can't just go for a drive (other than laziness) just to keep those skills in use.

Hope you have a good day. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Good morning, just checking in.  It was good to see posts from Claw and Spotsmom!

My hand/wrist are making very slow progress, but there is still progress.  I maintain my recluse status, but have spent the last week glued to the tv in disbelief and horror at current events.

Weather-wise, it has been pretty mild here for January in Iowa. There may or may not be a blizzard coming in some time today.  Since I have maintained staying stocked up, I do not need DH to make the obligatory run to the store for milk, bread, and t.p.  :D  On a store run last week he was able to get 2 bottles of toilet bowl cleaner which has been out of stock in our stores for months, and just as I was running out of previous stock (we have 3 bathrooms in every day use).  For what once seemed like a small thing to have access to, I was pretty darned excited!  ::)

Both of our adult children and one of their spouses have received their first vaccination, my mother is scheduled to get hers on the 23rd, so I feel blessed by that even though DH and I may not get ours for months yet. I keep hoping DH will be eligible sooner because criminal trials are restarting here in February and the prisons and jails are ongoing hotspots.

Be well, stay safe.  :-*

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Good morning.  45 and sunny to start the day.  I didn't even have to speak sternly to DH's truck before driving to office.  For the first time in a long time I was belting out tunes with the radio - I can't remember the last time I did that.  I have to sit in front of a computer most of the day, but I keep sneaking outside for little bits of sunshine.  I should be driving home between 2-3 so I can finish my last meetings from the house since they run almost to 5pm.
Not much else going on here.  We still need to clean up our mess from last weekend's snow problems.  Hopefully we get at least one nice day over the weekend.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
Good morning.

32 this morning and we'll warm up to 44 or so with mostly sunny skies. And yesterday's gusty winds are gone.

When we picked II's car up Thursday we left mine to have a tire that kept losing pressure checked out. We were home in time for me to go walking. That was not a good idea as, on a stretch I have walked countless times, 3 dogs came out from behind cars parked in a driveway and attacked me. (Do I look enticing or do I look like an enemy, or what?) Two bites on the back of my calf. No way to know which of them actually got me. One area of pretty good bruising also. There were no holes in my jeans or the long underwear I was wearing which was a good thing. I couldn't get in with my doctor yesterday so I ended up in the emergency room mid-morning yesterday. The doctor didn't think rabies shots were necessary, partly due to the fact that it wasn't a lone dog, partly due to the fact the wounds were not deep and the pants were not torn. I was comfortable with his evaluation and all I can do is hope we made the right decision. I will be taking antibiotics to prevent infection at the site. When I talked to the police officer Thursday evening, he said he thought he knew which dogs they were based on my description. They have had calls before about them running loose, but of course, no one really claims them. We don't have animal control in our town, do have a leash law, but it does prove to be very hard to enforce if you have nowhere to take dogs even if you picked them up. But, now I don't really want to get out and walk. They were small dogs, I didn't have any advance warning they were around, and not sure I'd have been able to fend them off even if I had been carrying a stick. Still trying to decide if I'll feel safe walking anywhere around here or not. Another example of how others don't accept responsibility when they let their animals run loose.

II worked last night, is off tonight, then works again tomorrow night. He decided he will sleep as long as he can today, stay up late tonight, and sleep late in the morning. I still think it would be easier for him to work 2 nights in a row than have one day off between. The arena has furloughed 3 more people until mid-March. Not sure how much basic maintaining of the place can occur with the few people still working. I'm sure there are lots of buildings everywhere that are being terribly neglected and will take some work to get back to "normal".

Do something that makes the weekend feel a little special. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
How scary, LL! I'm glad you're mostly okay and hope the wounds heal quickly. I can understand your safety concern about continuing to walk, what a shame. :(

We didn't get hit too hard with the blizzard/snow accumulation in our corner of the state, folks not very far north of us were slammed pretty good.

No particular weekend plans except playing cribbage with DH some time each day. We are having fun keeping cumulative round wins (although he's ahead of me 23 games to 22 after last night). No, no, neither of us is competitive -- all strictly for fun ... ::)

Everyone stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry that happened Loonlover. Hope you are not in pain.

I'm watching Nationals ice skating (ice dancing). I completely missed the women's (ladies?) that had the finals Friday night. I saw the result on facebook when it was over. Saw some of the pairs earlier this evening.

We had a lot of rain last night from the storm that came across the country. It was over mid-morning. Not bad at all when I went out this evening to Whole Foods for basic stuff. It was in the low 40s. 39 now. It will be between 36-45 and sunny on Sunday.

Hope you are all well.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
Good morning.

We're to have a high around 60 today with mostly sunny skies. Rain in the forecast later in the week, but it has been cut from 6 out of 7 days to 4 out of 7 days.

The pain has been minimal from the bites and the wounds look like they are healing nicely. I did fill the antibiotic prescription Saturday as there was a little more redness around one of the spots than there was on Friday. Figured it was better to be proactive against any infection.

Crebel, your remarks about your cribbage "rivalry" remind me of when II and I were more flexible and could sit on the floor and play double solitaire. We played almost daily for several months until I improved enough to win consistently. Then II decided it just wasn't as much fun. I don't think I was overly aggressive or bragged about it excessively. It was a long time ago.

After working last night, II doesn't work again until Friday. Hopefully we'll get a couple of things done around the house with three days of him not having to sleep all morning. The only other thing on the agenda this week are my allergy shot and a follow-up visit for me on the blood pressure issue.

The state added people age 70 to the eligibility list for covid vaccines starting today. So, maybe I'll be able to get a slot once I turn 70 next month. But there is still such a limited supply and no one seems to be doing mass clinics anywhere in the state. I remember lining up at the high school (small town) for polio immunizations on a Sunday afternoon in the mid-fifties (the one I took was given on a sugar cube). It seems we are less able to figure out a workable plan in this age than someone managed back then.

Find something enjoyable about today. Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,901 Posts
*wanders in with chocolate, assorted candy and good news*

hello all. yes, i am alive and have been monitoring things, but since mlewis was handling our weather updates i didn't really have much to say, but now i have news.....

TL/DR version-- i've been thinking about people and sending good thoughts when people hurt their wrists, get ill or get bitten by dogs, and cheering when good things happen.
and i now have job....

as some of you may recall, 2 years ago on Valentine's Day was my last day at work for the same company (with different names, but i never moved from my office) after 18 years. well, in 2019 i was depressed and recovering from the job and lived on my severance package and savings. just when i started to feel better about things later in the beginning of 2020, covid hit and we went into lockdown, and i started living on unemployment (i applied for it two weeks before the shutdown and mass filings, so was fine getting in, and getting all the related extra money) and my savings.

then in September i got a notice for jury duty. but not regular duty, for grand jury. i'm not being sarcastic, i love doing grand jury. it's interesting, varied, and you're not voting guilt or innocence. my first report date was the day after Columbus Day. they announced they were seating 2 juries one for month and one for 3 months. and that it would be a random pick because nobody wants to serve 3 months. i raised my hand and voice and said i wouldn't mind it.... so i got on the 3 month jury. it pays terribly, 40 dollars per day, and not weekly, BUT in NY state, you can still collect unemployment while on duty. it got boring and depressing at times, and i'm glad that i was not on a trial jury with some of these people, but at other times it was interesting and mind opening [Big Brother really is watching everywhere, and people are stupid]. and there were some nice people, who i enjoyed listening to when they did their work meetings on their phones or tablets at lunch time.

the other good thing about it was that i would get a lot of walking in, by choice walking a mile to the subway most mornings, and a half mile in the evening. and i would pass trader joe, and if the line wasn't bad, i could pop in. i will miss that....

and then the best news... out of the blue in mid-December, i got a text from a friend/former co-worker asking if i would be interested in a remote data entry job. he'd been trying to get me in the door for a while, but things finally fell into place. they were supposed to send me the set up the week between Christmas and New Year's but it got delayed, so i didn't get everything until after i finished jury duty on the 8th. literally. i got the computer on the 9th...

i set up the work stuff in a different space from my home computer, so it is definitely helping to get into the "going to work" mindset. we had training on Thursday, and i started working Thursday night. on my second day i work i got an e-mail saying that i was being given the rush/sensitive clients to work on and we're setting things up so that they text me when there is work and i start my "day" then. and i am answering to someone who i also used to work with, and the person texting me that work is to be done is a 3rd person i used to work with. they all left the company i was at to move to this one years ago, while i stayed behind.

it's boring, repetitive data entry, but hey, it's an easy commute (i do miss my forced daily walks, though) and it's money.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
telracs, congratulations on the job and thanks for the chocolate.

Good morning.

We will have cloudy skies for quite a bit of the next few days, but there is less rain in the forecast than was previously predicted. Highs will be in the 50s for most of the next 10 days.

Allergy shot on the agenda today. Going every 3 weeks will take some getting used to, I guess. As usual, we will bring lunch home from somewhere. Just haven't decided what sounds good.

We still have some tubs of Christmas decorations to be put away in the loft. Think I'll push for getting that done this afternoon so II's worktable gets cleared off.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,901 Posts
i vote chicken wings for lunch, LL....

that's my plan for the day, i'm going to order from buffalo wild wings on line, get dressed, take a nice walk to the train, pick up my wings and head home and then start my work day at 6 PM

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona.

Congratulations on the new job, telracs!

LL, glad the dog bites are healing well but sad that dogs bit you.

My best news is that, after over an hour on the computer, DH and I now have confirmed appointments for our first COVID-19 vaccinations! Our appointments are three weeks away at 6:39 AM about an hour drive from our daughter's house. Our daughter received her second vaccination shot earlier this morning and can already tell that her reaction is going to be stronger. She is working from home and is trying to get as much done as early as possible. She deliberately scheduled for an easy day tomorrow. Our oldest granddaughter also has an appointment for her first shot due to where she works. I don't know the date. That leaves my youngest granddaughter at NAU as the only one in my daughter's immediate family without at least an appointment.

I have been working on organizing and decluttering my sewing/craft space and slowly working on the Nebula quilt BOM and the Gravity quilt.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe and healthy. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Good morning?
I am at the office today getting some last-minute stuff ready for our big meetings Wednesday and Thursday.
Happy to hear from telracs - I was just thinking that she hadn't passed out chocolate in a while.
It's terrible about the dog bites LL.  I am glad that they seem eto be healing well.  I was bitten when I was a little girl and I was terrified of dogs for quite a while after that.  Note to self - don't fall off the bike when the dog is chasing you - pedal faster.
Good news on the vaccination front for everybody.  My mom is not in a big hurry for hers yet since she has some immunity from having it plus the antibody treatment.  She knows that if she gets an opportunity she should get the shot.
I had to take DH to doctor this morning.  Guess who has a sinus infection?  I am annoyed that mine is not totally gone yet and it's almost been three weeks.
Hoping everything goes well tomorrow for our country.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,901 Posts
*wanders back in and passes out teriyaki and salt/vinegar wings and fried pickles*

as i was doing my hike to the train, i pass 2 Covid testing sites and thought... "more work for me"

andra- i have a question for you.  do you know where TSO did their streaming show from?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
telracs said:
andra- i have a question for you. do you know where TSO did their streaming show from?
I think I saw Nashville mentioned somewhere - I have no idea if that's accurate or not...

·
Registered
19,901 Posts
Andra said:
I think I saw Nashville mentioned somewhere - I have no idea if that's accurate or not...
that's what my friend who watched it thought, so i'm going to believe the two of you are correct

*passes more chocolate*

off for a nap before starting my work "day"

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I am so happy to hear from you, Telracs, and that you have a job. My last jobs (since 2003) were evenings, but not from home. All that jury duty!!! I had a summons for grand jury for August and then when I called in to check, they said all of us will get a new summons in March.

Also thanks for chocolate and wings, Telracs! I just had a slice of chocolate babka. It's not quite Breads Bakery babka, but about half the price from Whole Foods. In the past few weeks I've had the two cinnamon ones and now working on a chocolate one. I thought I would prefer the chocolate, but the cinnamon is better.

We learned a week ago Monday that age 65+ could get the covid vaccine, but I have been unable to schedule an appointment. I've tried a few different sites, including a city one. The city one requires filling out a detailed form that self-erases after you go offline and it resulted in no appointment. I had to put in all my insurance information and post front and back picture of my insurance card. The city site showed two high schools in Manhattan and I tried for those plus one in Sunnyside, Queens (not too far into Queens). The Manhattan schools are in Harlem and lower east side. I have also tried two places that are in walking distance, but they never got back to me.  I'm 69. Will be 70 in August, so that shows I was born in the same year as Loonlover.

I thought the federal government had stated age 65+ on the day that New York did, but then they ran out of vaccine, or they weren't sending any more to our state for a while. Bad trick.

39 degrees F now and will between 27-39 tomorrow. I see a 50% snowflake for Wednesday on my weather app. Hope everyone is well!

34361 - 34380 of 34574 Posts