Kindle Forum banner

34481 - 34500 of 34569 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Checking in after being missing for a while. The PNW is expecting a whopper snow storm this afternoon, which always shuts us completely down. The de-icing trucks have been coating the roads for a couple of days. It is nice to have them proactive. We stocked up on supplies yesterday, and are ready to hunker down. Right now it is raining softly and 36 degrees. My hourly forecast says snow is supposed to start about 4PM. It will be a weekend of watching TV and sewing. Stay safe, everyone!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Good afternoon. It is around 32 with some sort of precipitation. It's days like today when I am really grateful to be teleworking.
I am wearing a heart monitor until Saturday afternoon and should have an echocardiogram scheduled for next week after the weather clears. The Dr said my heart rhythm was good but fast. So we'll see.
Glad I got firewood moved yesterday.
Stay warm. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Good evening, we are digging in for a huge by our standards snowstorm 8-15 inches on Sunday and Monday. I hit the grocery store today to lay in supplies. Good possibility of a second smaller wave next Wednesday. It has been below freezing here since Sunday, and will stay below freezing all next week! We in sunny Oklahoma aren’t used to this! Andra, good luck with the heart monitor! Hopefully it will bring nothing but good news.

Reactions: Annalog

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Good morning. It's 26 and foggy here right now. The trees and everything else are still totally iced from yesterday. We have had the tops of two trees break out and large limbs have come out of two more. Some of the limbs are on the roof and we can hear a scraping sound. Once it gets more light we need to see if we can figure out where that's coming from. I don't want to have a fire if there is anything going on near the chimney. sigh So much for trying to manage my stress levels. The forecast has changed to mostly dry weather for the next ten days with snow and brief sleet and Sunday and snow on Monday. Those are definitely moving targets though. The low on Monday now shows 1 - what the heck is that? There is a reason I live in Texas... Oh well. At least our neighborhood has buried power lines. So if we lose power it will be from a larger transmission line - and those are usually higher up. A lot of folks in Austin are without power.
Take care. Stay warm. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

We'll be above freezing today and tomorrow (barely at 33) but then have 4-5 days of highs below freezing with snow forecast beginning Sunday evening through early Monday evening and a low of 1 for Monday night. Sunny skies on Tuesday with the possibility of more snow on Wednesday and Thursday. It has been many a year since we had temps this cold or snow predicted for that many days in a week.

II works Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. Worry wart me will try not to spend all my time worrying about him getting to and from work.

A trip for bird seed and some produce will probably be made this morning. Just trying to decide which grocery I want to go to. Otherwise, I think we are good for a while.

Andra, hope the news from the heart monitor is good.

Our eldest is scheduled for a covid test tomorrow. He said he was around the person he was exposed to for less than 10 minutes and he was wearing a mask. But he has self isolated and felt it was prudent to get tested.

Everyone, stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Good morning and sympathies to all who are experiencing extra cold yucky weather. Our high for today may reach zero! Currently it is -4 with a wind chill of -26 and snowing. Schools are closed. Temperatures, wind chills, are amount of snow are expected to be worse tomorrow. Bah humbug!

Both of my adult children and one of their spouses have received both shots and my mother gets her 2nd shot tomorrow!!! DD and DS both felt pretty rotten the next day (headaches, body aches, low grade fever), but were fine and dandy the following day.

Everybody stay safe and WARM. Be well.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona.

Andra, hope the results from the heart monitor are good. At least you will know that stress results are included. However, I hope your stress levels go down.

We will be driving to Tucson today to pick up DH's new glasses. Since he got new frames and his prescription hasn't changed, he will try to remember to wear his old glasses when working outside and in the workshop and his new glasses the rest of the time so that the new glasses will last longer. While in town, I will do some shopping for food and unscented cleaning supplies that are not available locally. We will be wearing the new masks that I made with improved fit, nicer nose bridge metal, and newer non woven inner layer.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe and warm. Be excellent to each other.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The PNW got the snow that was predicted, but it really is not a lot so far. After living in Montana for 30 years, we would call this a skiff. However, a skiff of wet icy snow causes havoc on the roads, so all schools and many businesses are shut down.

The good news is that we finally have our COVID vaccine appointments set up for next Tuesday at Costco. Availability made a big difference when doses started being sent straight to pharmacies. One of our sons quickly found appointments for us. Feeling very relieved. We will be getting the Moderna vaccine.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Loonlover, hope your son's covid test is negative.

I had my first dose (Moderna) vaccine today. Got there 35 minutes early. They were pretty well organized for a small store (Duane Reade owned by Walgreens on 9th Avenue). I wish good luck to everyone who is trying to get an appointment or going to in the near future.

I picked up a few things at a grocery before I came home. Expecting snow on Saturday starting late afternoon (40% chance).

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

I woke up way too early, around 5 this morning. Wouldn't be surprised if a nap won't be in order this afternoon.

It is cold, but will get way colder before this is over. We're supposed to have a high of 33 today, followed by 4 days where we don't get above freezing. Snow moves in tomorrow afternoon and will end Monday evening. Around 5 inches predicted with more to come on Wednesday and Thursday. It has been years since this much snow has been in the forecast. I grew up where there was a lot more snow, but it was snow without the icing beforehand that we get here and I have gotten spoiled by the lack of frozen precipitation the last few years.

II works tonight, has tomorrow off, then is supposed to work Monday and Tuesday.

Potato soup going in the slow cooker shortly, then just some routine chores for the rest of the day.

My eye appointment scheduled for Thursday was canceled. They called yesterday to reschedule in a couple of weeks. Pictures from Little Rock showed that area of Little Rock received more freezing rain than we did so I couldn't blame them for not opening Thursday.

Enjoy the day. Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
evening....

* wanders over to the corner and sets up a buffet: miso soup and brown rice, agedosh tofu, curry puffs, eggplant in miso sauce for appetizers, and coconut pumpkin curry stew, general tso soy, black pepper seitan for mains *

enjoy....

i am stuffy from being inside for a week, so i wanted comfort food, and decided to go hearty with the pumpkin curry stew.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Sounds good, Telracs. I've been in Saturday and Sunday. I wanted to go out to buy diet Pepsi, but my walking wasn't very good today. Tonight I did walk down the 4 flights to take recycling down and checked Saturday's mail. Ran out of Pepsi Saturday. It's the only caffeine I drink.

Tonight I had spinach salad with onion, chickpeas and the last of the chicken breast I cooked a few days ago.

Wishing everyone the best.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Good morning. It was both a great weekend and a lousy weekend here.

Saturday we bundled up and I was out for a purpose other than a Dr visit for the first time this year. We got to see our grandson participate in a 100% masked and socially distanced archery match in a huge gymnasium. It was so wonderful to at least see him and the rest of our son's family in person even if from a distance. A trip to the grocery store followed that. Does anyone else get excited by actually going in to a grocery store for an outing these days?? :D

The happy outing was subdued by returning home to hear we lost another good friend to the epidemic, and that threw me into a funk for the rest of the weekend, feeling guilty for having been out at all even with all precautions. 😢 I have a feeling my now ever-present fear of gatherings, even when we get this epidemic under control, will remain. How sad. I used to be a pretty social person.

DH did give me a card and box of Valentine's candy. I served him a dinner of prime rib (with horseradish that made his nose run!), twice-baked potato, and a blue cheese wedge salad. One of his favorite meals. We played two rounds of our on-going cribbage tournament and he now leads 40-35, harrumph ...

The deep freeze weather continues. Today is supposed to be our worst day before minor warm-ups. The current temperature is -10, wind chill is -34 and more snow is coming tonight. I'm trying to gear myself up to not faint when the next electric bill comes in! It has been pretty crazy for the last week.

Everyone stay safe and warm. Be well.

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

Crebel, sorry to hear about your friend. It is getting tough to comprehend the number of people lost and the cost to society. And you aren't the only one that looks forward to an outing at the grocery store, or, with the new cat, a trip for cat food and buying a scratching post for her. And I think I will continue to have some trepidation about crowds from hereon out.

Snow, snow, and more snow at our house today. Somewhere between 4 and 7 inches from what I am reading. (I realize this is a minimal amount for some people, but we haven't seen this much in a long time.) It is supposed to end about noon with temperatures staying in the teens. Sunshine tomorrow with a high of 23, then maybe another 10 inches on Wednesday. It has probably been 30 years since we saw this much snow in back to back storms.

II is supposed to have a doctor's appointment today. We are thinking that will be canceled. But, he is supposed to work tonight and tomorrow night. My anxiety level will increase as the day goes by, I'm sure.

Ditto on Crebel's comments on the electric bill. The gas company sent an email asking people to lower their thermostats and the electric company says they are experiencing high demand. So, if I lower the thermostat, then I want to have the electric heater on more. Crawling back in bed may be the best way to stay warm.

Find some joy in the day. Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
From the National Storm Prediction Center, here in Norman, OK. I’m just glad to have power and heat and no frozen pipes! Hope everyone is safe and warm.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Crebel, sorry about your friend! Epidemics suck. :(

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Well, it's Monday. It was 7 degrees in Austin, TX this morning. Wind chill was -10. DH measured 7 inches of snow on the driveway when he got up! That is absolutely crazy. We had a few more limbs come down. We may get up above freezing tomorrow. At least the sun is shining.
The state of Texas' power grid, Ercot, is directing the electricity suppliers to do rolling blackouts across the state. We have not lost power yet, but my Mom's has gone out twice and my brother's was out until noon today. Apparently we don't know how to build wind turbines that don't ice up.
We also have a natural gas shortage - something we don't know how to deal with here. My water heaters, kitchen appliances, and furnace are gas. Our backup plan for cooking is to use propane in the garage. Backup plan for heat is the fireplace. I have been hoarding my wood in case I NEED to use it - grumble, grumble.

Crebel, I'm sorry about your friend. That really bites. I don't know that I want to be around people again for a while.

Stay warm. Stay safe.

34481 - 34500 of 34569 Posts