Kindle Forum banner

34501 - 34520 of 34585 Posts

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Andra, stay warm and safe. be careful with the propane, and make sure you have good air circulation.

it's grey and gloomy here today and i'm still stuffy, so i don't want to go out, but i think i will try and do some stair walking.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I hope that none of you lose power.

Not bad here, temp was in low 30s today. I went out only to buy soda that I missed having for a few days. It was a very short walk, but I was all sweating and breathing hard going back up the stairs in a down coat, the heavy bag and a cane. The store was CVS and I took a look at Valentine's 50% off chocolate but didn't buy any. I should have bought some Lindt. I thought everything was very high-priced to begin with.

We expect rain overnight. Snow on Thursday.

Reactions: Annalog

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Morning. 5 degrees here with the sun peeking over the houses. We still have power for the moment, but internet is being somewhat flaky. We are collecting strays - out house sitter got kicked out of her hotel after they lost power, so she stayed with us last night. One of DH's co-workers has been without power since yesterday. DH told him they could come over here. We may have to do some bed shuffling if too many more people come over. It's also weird wearing a mask in my own house, but I've been too careful for too long to slip up now.
It seems like the natural gas is flowing better at the stove this morning.
Texas is a mess. There are even places with no water since the generators at the water treatment plants are out. We have filled lots of containers of water just in case. I really don't want to whine - so many people are in worse shape than we are - but I am tired of this weather. Texas is colder than Alaska right now.

mlewis - I usually go to one of the stores the day after Valentine's Day to get a box of chocolate. That didn't happen this year. My flowers from DH are somewhere in Austin (maybe). I don't know if they will actually get here. And since it's tulips and iris, I doubt it will be in decent shape if it does arrive. He gets brownie points for being thoughtful though :)

Keep your devices charged. Stay warm. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Good morning.

-5 here this morning with sunshine and warming up to 23. A low of 12 forecast for tonight. Snow starting again around 11 PM and then falling for the next 24-30 hours with a predicted accumulation of 8-12 inches. But, we'll be back to the 50s this weekend.

II called in to say he would not be able to make it to work last night and will do the same tonight. His doctor's office was closed yesterday so his check-up will be rescheduled at some point. I had a CT scan scheduled for today. They called to see if I planned on keeping the appointment and I said no. The scheduling people didn't come in so I wasn't able to reschedule yet. Nothing we can't delay until the weather improves.

Our plans for the day are to just stay warm and dry. So far we're luckier than so many.

Stay safe, everyone.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning. Ditto on LL's comment that we are luckier than many in this continuing, almost nationwide deep freeze. We generally have a few days like this most years, but never this sustained. At least here in the Midwest, our houses are built with the kind of insulation, have the furnaces, etc. to stand up to this kind of cold. I am more worried about areas that have never experienced this type of weather don't have alternate sources of heat if power goes out, or even the equipment to make roads drivable to get someplace else.

I've been trying to get ahold of Atunah down in San Antonio, Texas and have not connected for a couple of days. I have a feeling she may be in an area that has lost power and hope they are doing okay.

We are supposed to be back up to more normal "30's" temperatures by this weekend. Idiots here are likely to start wearing shorts and flip-flops with a 60 degree turnaround.

Stay safe. Stay warm. Be well.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Just got a text from Atunah and thought you'd like to hear. She says they are frozen solid with snow cover and has probably lost all of her fruit trees. They were on rolling blackouts giving them 5 minutes of power every hour. Now they haven't had power since yesterday morning and not likely to return before Thursday at the earliest. The temperature inside her house is down to 46 and they are without running water because the lines work on an electric pump. They haven't had any pipes burst, but says lots of people have. She's wearing so many layers of clothes to stay warm, she said she looks like the Hulk.

Ugh, that sounds so terrible. Wish I could do anything for them.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
bizarrely, it's very warm here today, and i'm trying to talk myself into taking a walk.

NYC is in a better position for dealing with cold weather because all our power lines are underground, so cold doesn't hamper that.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
The power lines are buried in my neighborhood but the transmission lines are not. At least there are not a lot of trees along the transmission lines. In the older parts of the city the electric lines have to compete with the trees. We just don't know how to deal with cold.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I was sitting on the edge of my bed and checked emails and looked at facebook for a long time before I realized it was 52 here. I knew the sun was out, even though I keep a blackout shade on my bedroom window (door is always open though). Then I got up and used the exercise bike, so I didn't go outside. Now it's 34 F and that will be the high tomorrow (low 23).

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good morning. Forecasters are calling today's weather here "not as cold" instead of "warmer" as the sub-zero temperatures are in single digits and supposedly by afternoon we will make it up to the balmy low teens. Get ready for the flooding stories everywhere when it does warm up enough for all this crud to start melting. If it's not one thing, it's another these days. I guess that's not a very positive attitude. Sigh.

Andra, bless you and your DH for opening your home to friends without power in the on-going pandemic. In normal times that would be a no-brainer decision, but certainly carries more personal risk now. True friendship and selflessness.

Everyone stay safe. Be well.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Good morning. It's a balmy 31 degrees here this morning. It finally "warmed" up enough that we have cold water running at the kitchen sink again. For the time being I will wash dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher. We also did laundry before this mess all started so we can leave that until things straighten up.
I suspect if the roads near my house were in better shape we'd have more guests. But it's hard to get across Austin without driving elevated roadways - and a lot of them are closed or just plain dangerous. This part of Texas keeps some de-icing stuff on hand, but have this kind of wet and cold for over a week is not normal, so those supplies are also gone.
I decided to stop hoarding my firewood yesterday. So we had a small fire from about 2pm onward. It was really nice. I kept it small to conserve wood. My big rack in the back yard is against the fence at the far side and is covered in snow. So I am a little limited to how much I can burn without having to deal with snow.
Thd kind of neat thing I've noticed is that folks are looking out for each other. On Next Door people are planning tree-cutting and hauling once it's safe. People are opening their homes and offering a place to get warm, charge electronics, shower, etc. We are not doing that since we already have guests and we are both still working. And I am still trying to be careful because of the covid.

Stay warm. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Good morning.

It was 15 degrees a little before 7 AM and a high of 22 is expected. Snow is falling and may fall until early tomorrow morning. 4-8 more inches are forecast. We figure about 8 inches fell here from the previous storm.

After posting yesterday morning I did discover frozen pipes at the kitchen sink. II aimed one of the space heaters under the sink and they thawed fairly quickly. We remembered to leave the doors under the sink open last night. We used to do that at least once every winter, but we hadn't had temps this cold or even single digit lows for several years. Also, the fan on the furnace quit working. We are in the queue for a repairman, but no telling how long it will take, between hazardous driving conditions and, I'm sure, a high demand for service. We have 2 space heaters and, while being cautious with them, we are able to continue to do a little more than exist, huddled under the covers.

I talked to our son in Texas around noon yesterday. At that time he had been without power for around 20 hours. I doubt that his circumstances have changed much since then. He said he was really, really cold. He and his dog were spending most of their time huddled under the covers.

The cat decided she was going to lie in my lap no matter what so she is helping me type this. I think I corrected all the typos she inserted.

We're trying to keep a positive attitude, but it ain't always easy.

Stay safe, stay warm.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Andra and Loonlover, thinking of you and others in the deep south. Been watching about Texas on the news.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Good morning.

Our son posted on Facebook yesterday that his power came back on, but they do have a boil order in place. Still so disheartening to hear about all the places that don't have power. I see our son in New York is now getting the snow, but like Telracs says, power outages are not nearly as much of an issue there.

We received an additional 10 or so inches of snow yesterday. I haven't heard a car go by this morning. But we might warm up almost above freezing today with the possibility of sunshine. Tomorrow we will definitely be above freezing and have sunny skies so the thawing can begin, and, hopefully furnace repairmen can start on their backlog. We're figuring it will be next week before we see one, though.

Nothing else to report.

Stay safe. Look out for one another as best you can.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Good morning. 25 at my house with more snow predicted. It's like I am in a nightmare. It just won't stop. How do people up north deal with snow all the time??
At the moment we still have electricity, natural gas, and water - oh and internet and cell service. So I am grateful. Tomorrow the forecast claims above freezing with sunshine. I'll believe it when I see it.
Take care.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Good afternoon. Some good news today, Atunah has power and water again as of an hour ago (under a boil order, but still ...). It also sounds like growing up in Bavaria held her in good stead for knowing how to deal with it better than many.

Andra, we deal with it because we know it's coming most every year and our houses are built to withstand it (like insulated pipes). It doesn't mean it isn't crappy every year, though! Downed power lines because of ice or big summer rain/wind storms are generally the only times we lose power. If they'd get everything underground, we'd have less trouble!

Clearing snow from sidewalks, driveways, etc. is the constant slog. Most everyone has multiple big snow shovels, ice melt, snowblowers, blades on their trucks or tractors, roof rakes, snow tires on their vehicles, back-up generators, kerosene heaters, camping lanterns and stoves or gas grills, ample accessible wood supplies for wood-burning fireplaces, etc., and of course even the smallest towns have pre-treat and road clearing equipment for highways and streets. I can understand why Texas and other southern states are not as prepared for weather (but the power grid really should be) that happens only once a decade or less often.

We are supposed to reach temperatures in the 40s by next week, but another few inches of snow are expected on Sunday.

Everyone stay safe and warm. Be well.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Good morning.

Crebel, thanks for posting about Atunah. And you are correct about states which get snow every year know how to be prepared. I remember the small towns I grew up in in Kansas all had some snow removal equipment and they started removing snow from the streets almost as soon as it started snowing. Arkansas' highway department has become more proactive in the years we've lived here, but the combination of the volume of snow and the extremely cold temps made it difficult to get a head start this time around.

We should start seeing more thawing today as it is sunny and is supposed to get a little above freezing. II plans on shoveling in front of his car so he can get it out today. Our water department staff also serve as road crews in our community and they have been out salting and scraping our street.

We're still hanging in there and know we are luckier than so many people here in Arkansas, let alone those in Texas. I can't imagine how depleted some of the stores around the area are. Seeing pictures of the semis lined up along I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis makes me think it will take a bit before deliveries resume to points both east and west.

Thinking of all those just trying to stay safe.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Happy Friday! We have reached 35 degrees and it is very sunny. It sounds like it is raining at times with all the ice melting. We are supposed to freeze again tonight and then warm up over the weekend.
We typically have a day or two of ice - occasionally snow. And sometimes we stay below freezing for a few days. But I really don't remember any other time that we had this much wet along with this much cold. If this is going to be a new thing Texas needs to figure out how to deal with it better.
It sounds like most of the city and surrounding areas have power again. But most folks in Austin proper have no water. So we are not out of the woods yet.
We did pretty well stocking up ahead of time. And we have been eating from what was in the freezer. I should have gotten one more carton of eggs because we may run out before we can get to a store. It is also possible that the stores will be out of things. Apparently delivery trucks don't like this kind of weather in Texas either. Who can blame them?
I am glad to hear that everybody is mostly OK. Hang in there.
Stay warm. Stay safe.

34501 - 34520 of 34585 Posts