Kindle Forum banner

34521 - 34540 of 34569 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Snow showers here today in Central Oregon where we've received over a foot of snow in the past week. Our ski resorts are happy, but the snowplow people not so much! Hopefully things will clear out this weekend.

I'm still in the midst of making appointments for people to get their taxes done for free through the AARP Program so that takes quite a lot of my day.

Hope you all stay warm and dry and healthy!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Good not-morning! Here in Oklahoma, I have survived the big freeze with only trivial problems compared to what many are going through. We are predicted to get above freezing Saturday for the first time in two weeks, and today I didn’t use my space heater for the first time in about a week. Wednesday night I had quite a scare when the high-rise I live in told us that they expected to lose water service that night and that the heat would shut down when the water shut down. It ended up that we lost water for about an hour before it was restored and there were no real consequences. Water pressure has been very low for several days but is better today. We had the second lowest temperature ever recorded here on Wednesday, -14 F. But all the real badness passed me by, thank goodness. My only hazard has been boredom. I haven’t been outside our building in over ten days, and only ventured out of my apartment twice to visit the tiny convenience store in the building. Sending positive vibes to all the people who had it worse than I did! In what may be really good news, I will become eligible to get vaccinated starting Monday. But there is a lot of coverage of how vaccine deliveries were disrupted by the weather so it may be an even bigger challenge to get vaccinated than I expected. Everybody stay warm!

Reactions: Annalog

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
We had two days of wintry mix, although the news was saying snow even during it. I stayed in. Late Friday night I took recycling downstairs and opened the front door to see what it was like. There was no more snow on the sides of the streets than there was before the 2-day "snow." Probably slippery though. It's cold enough for the mix to be frozen on the ground. I need to get some groceries today, but I'll see. I could get by eating more eggs, bread and milk, but I want something else. I should appreciate that I have running water, gas and electricity, and . . . oh, heat.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. I have recently been occupied with family issues that are minor compared to what everyone else has been and is dealing with. Hoping everyone is able to get what they need to stay safe, warm, and healthy. Best wishes!

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

Google shows a temp of 14 this morning, but everyone else is showing it is in the single digits again. Highs today will be in the 40s, though, so hopefully a lot of melting will occur today. II shoveled the end of the driveway yesterday and was able to get the car out. Shouldn't have any trouble getting to work today at 3, but he'll have to watch for refreezing on his way home. Lows after tonight will mostly be around the freezing mark or a little higher.

I'll try to keep myself busy with housework this afternoon. That will also help keep me warm. Also need to make bread today. We haven't heard anything from the heat and air people, but I'm not sure how many service calls they would have been able to make during the first 3 days after I called them. We're managing with the space heaters and with the temperatures rising it shouldn't be quite so bad from now until they get to us. Just hope parts or brand new furnace will be available.

Hope conditions are improving for all. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Good morning. We had a freeze again last night, but it's sunny and should get in the 40s today. I am planning to get the flat shovel out of the shed in the backyard and try to clear the snow from the driveway and sidewalks. Next year I am buying a snow shovel to keep in the garage - then I should not need it!
We have been opening curtains where the sun is shining to help the heaters. I am glad ours are natural gas instead of all electric.
Glad to hear everyone is managing ok.
Stay warm. Stay safe.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Thanks crebel for posting. Thawing out slowly here. Fellow Texans, I hope you all came out of this ok.
I was in a daze this morning going outside. In my cul de sac and street it was like "The day after".
We got lucky as far as I can tell with plumbing indoor. We do have a leak outside we don't know where yet. But we were able to close a valve that stopped the water hemorrhage for now. Its a separate line in the garden we don't really know where it originates from. We didn't put that in. No plumbers are not available right now anyway. We are ok for now on that score though.
I will not complain right now as I know how horrible others have been hit. From fires, to freezing to death to piles flooding houses and apartments.

I am worried though about the electric bill. We are being told that next bill might have to be spread out over 10 years. Our electric company is saying that. So I try not to worry about this part, but I its hard. I am a worry wart.

I am having some darn wine right now. Day drinking. By golly I need it right now. I can't load the smilies so just picture a open mouth one and a confused one.
I have been drinking gallons of coffee and tea since our power came back. We were out not as long as others, but still about 2 days. And then it wasn't consistent on after. 4 on, 4 off or so. Before they totally cut it we had 1 to 5 minutes of heat for 1-2 hours of off. Useless really. The lowest temp I saw inside my bedroom was 42 degrees. In the morning after the first night of no power. During which we went down to I think 8 degrees. But we are mostly healthy and no kids, elderly or pets in the house. So I consider us lucky on that score. I am horrified at the stories I am reading and all that is still coming out in the days to come.

This didn't need to happen. People didn't have to freeze to death in their homes and cars.

I'll go back in the thread now to read how you all fared in this mess.
We just got internet back today after its been out since Sunday and I am no good typing on my phone really. I ran out of my phone GB alotment, its not unlimited.

Husband found some charcoal somewhere and some steaks so we will be grilling out. We have been inside for almost a week, I stuffed towels and plastic in windows and doors so it felt weird. I haven't seen this much snow in a very long time. Twice we had snow. how quick we forget. I got spoiled.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
i'm in hermit/vampire mode. i've been working overnight the past few nights and sleeping during the day. i haven't left the apartment, and have no clue what the weather is actually like.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Good morning. It is fantastic to read everyone is recovering pretty well from weather woes (including LL's post in the Happy Thoughts thread)! Hearing from Atunah directly instead of me passing information along is SO much better.

We will get another 2-3 inches of snow this morning, but it will get slushy quickly as temperatures will climb into the 40s this afternoon. Hopefully the foot of snow still on the ground underneath the new snow will melt a little more slowly to avert flooding.

Nothing else interesting or different here. Everyone stay safe and warm. Be well.

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

So good to hear from you, Atunah.

Our son in Arlington wasn't without power as long as Atunah was, and apparently their water issues are improving.

II was relieved to get home last night. There was still some icy spots on the rural road leading to our community. He left as soon as his relief got there last night. We're to have some rain and a high around 50 today with the temp being right around freezing for his drive home in the morning. Things should be much improved long before then.

Finding all the burst water lines is now the priority. With businesses closed no telling how many will find damage when they reopen.

Good to hear that things are improving. Hopefully that continues for all.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Hi! It is sunny and 70 and I am running around in shorts!
My Valentine's Day flowers arrived yesterday. They are iris and tulips and even though you can tell that they froze, it looks like most of them will open.
We got DH's truck started this morning and went on a grocery hunt. I did pretty good ahead of the storm, but we are almost out of eggs. I found some in the 4th store we tried. I pretty much managed to finish my list.
DH got the chain saw running today and we at least cleared the limbs hanging down on the sidewalk. I have to call our regular tree trimmers tomorrow to see when they can come out and fix the high stuff.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
i decided to take the day off from work today and veg out. then i felt like pasta, and the weather seemed okay, so i ordered penne with garlic/oil sauce and grilled chicken and an order of garlic bread and then i saw they had chicken rice soup, so i got that also. took a nice walk around and picked up the order. soup was really yummy, but they didn't give me any parmesan cheese to go on the pasta, so that wasn't as great as i wanted.

tomorrow i'm going to meet my sister who has an appointment in my area, then hoping on the subway and heading to to Katz's deli and hopefully trader joes.

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

A high in the upper 50s today with lots of sunshine will be turning the yard a little soupy. I can live with that.

Been meaning to mention I saw robins on the bird feeders the past 2-3 days. I had never seen them eat from the feeders before. Didn't expect them to be worse bullies than the mockingbirds that also showed up over the weekend. I've seen the mockingbirds eat from them before, but I guess robins weren't in the area when we've had lingering snow before. In the past I had seen bluebirds check out the feeders but never linger to actually eat. Not the case this winter. I counted 9 of them out there at one time last night. While the snow was on the ground we put seeds out on the cover for the fire pit for better access for the sparrows and juncos. All of the birds seemed to enjoy the easy access. There were usually too many of each species for me to count.

II sleeping today as he works again tonight. He said the parking lot was a sheet of ice, but the roads are clear. I could use a few groceries, but not sure how well supplied the stores are so decided to give them a little more time to restock.

Hope things are improving for everyone. Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
our weather (and a tummy ache) are keeping me from going out today. and more snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so i think i'm staying in until wednesday.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Telracs, hope you feel better. I'm thinking about going out in a few minutes to buy a few things including TP. It rained all afternoon. I couldn't sleep after I went to bed at 5am, so I slept in. I often have very crazy dreams in the afternoon and then I just want to go back to sleep (and do). I did get out Saturday and Sunday -- once to go to Whole Foods and Sunday was to buy soda. I read posts here last night and thought about how my life lately has been so limited that I'm saying the same things about "going to the store" or not going. Hope you can bear with me.

I am planning to get back to swimming next week as the freeze on my health club membership ends. I won't get there as much. We have to sign up in advance for a lane. I looked at the sign-ups last night and saw that it's hard to get a lane one-two days in advance. I am going back on there to sign up for a lane for next Monday late afternoon. Also, they close two hours earlier than they did in normal times. 30 min. maximum time for the swim now. I also noticed that it is easier to reserve one of the alcoves, which are not full lanes. The shallow alcove and the deep one.

I don't expect to get results right away, but I am hoping to get my knee working better and w/o pain with swimming. I think it's even better than other physical therapy, but if it doesn't work, I might do PT. I've had the knee arthritis for many years and the swimming kept me pain free.

Hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Good morning. It's 62 and sunny here. Our high is supposed to be 78 today. Just last week it was literally freezing here - talk about whiplash!
I am still on the hunt for bacon. Sprouts has some at the butcher c ounter that DH likes when he runs out of the Hamilton meat market bacon, but their counter has been empty the last two times I've gone in the store. I may try again at lunchtime today. It's worth the extra effort to not have him complaining first thing in the morning.
I think we are all stuck in ruts mlewis. Maybe that will get better as the year progresses.
I have to go up to the office tomorrow and Thursday. I am trying to determine if the office is still under a boil water notice. I think I'll take water and ice just in case.
Take care.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
feeling better, thanks.

i worked last night/this morning and got into bed around 5:45. next thing i knew, it was 3 PM! took a while to fully wake up, as i suffering from that "overslept" feeling. finally got dressed, took a walk around the block then hit the pizza shop for a chicken roll and soda.
i'm trying to come up with a schedule, and be consistent throughout the week. i am thinking of pretending that i have to commute to work, so that i'll go out for a walk before and after my day, and try and stay up after work so i can do laundry early in the day.
i'm plotting a brisket run to the greek restaurant tomorrow and hopefully outback later in the week.

·
Registered
22,052 Posts
Good morning.

Our high yesterday was 76, but we'll only make it to 64 today. Hard to believe the turn around from last week.

I had a CT scan on my shoulders yesterday. Have no idea how long before I hear from the doctor about what comes next.

Grocery pickup from Walmart this morning, but not from my usual store. Not sure why/how it changed locations on me. I'm sure it was something I did, but was surprised when II said the email he received said Benton instead of Bryant where we normally go. After picking up those groceries we'll make a stop at one of the regional chains to see if we can find some produce and maybe some eggs. Then an early afternoon appointment at the podiatrist.

A little busier this week, but probably good for us after so much time staying in last week.

Hope the week is going well for all. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Well it's still morning here, so Good Morning! It was 62 when I got up and we are up to 72. I had to go to office today and tomorrow for a meeting and to work on inventory.
I forgot how to get up early enough to make the drive across town.
Nothing else going on here.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
well, it's MY morning, so......
eating breakfast, watching GGG, then i'm going to order dinner and hit the drug store before work tonight.
it's in the 50's today, but seems to be going into the 40s for the rest of the week and rain all weekend.

34521 - 34540 of 34569 Posts