Kindle Forum banner

34661 - 34680 of 34713 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Happy Friday!
I took the day off because I could. I am still just a little achy. I don't know if I should be glad I'm not miserable or worried that I am not developing antibodies...
DH got an appointment at a drive-thru clinic Tuesday afternoon. He won't know what brand he's getting until he gets there. I am planning to go along since he tends to react more strongly to flu shots and things than I do. It's in far south Austin and the drive back will be in the thick of rush hour. We may find someplace to get food and just eat in the truck.
Have a great weekend. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning.

Sunny skies in store for a couple of days. The worst of last night's thunderstorms missed us. I haven't checked to see how much rain fell, but it did not rain for nearly as long as originally predicted.

Mystic had some conjunctivitis in her eye. We are putting ointment in 3 times a day. So far, with both of us involved, it has been relatively easy to treat her. She is definitely a people cat (pretty much follows me around, more like a dog than a cat) and doesn't run off to hide after we treat her eye. She'll hang around for petting from both of us, then settle down on the towel II wraps her up in for the treatment.

II worked last night, is off the next 2 nights, then works again Tuesday and Wednesday. An early morning doctor's appointment tomorrow had him request off around it.

Nothing much going on around here. Most of the time that is a good thing.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Good morning! It is 42 here at 8am, and hopefully the sun will shine all day. It got to 60 yesterday and signs of Spring are everywhere!

Someone asked about the Oasis. I keep and Oasis 2 (purchased in 2017) next to my bed. I almost always immediately turn off the touch screen because it is too easy to accidentally touch when in bed. I like the buttons when in bed reading. I have not experienced short battery life, but that is probably because it does not get used more than 1/2 hour day. A few days ago I received a new Paperwhite, after trading in my old Paperwhite that I got in 2018. It is a beautiful mauve color and I got the matching leather mauve cover....a splurge. The Paperwhite is my go-to Kindle. It is next to my chair and is always with me when I travel.

We are now 2 weeks past second vaccine. I am starting to get in the groove of going places again. For the first time in over a year I went in to a grocery store and to Target. The trips were a bit overwhelming, but I managed. The best news is that after more than a year, the closely family is getting together for Easter dinner. The kids are all healthcare workers and have been vaccinated for several months. The grandkids are under 8 and very low risk. It will be a happy day, mostly outside if the weather allows. I am in charge of the ham. I am sure deviled eggs and baked beans ( I belong to a bean club) will make their way across the bridge too.

Enjoy the day! Jane

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Good morning. It was 47 this morning when I drove in to office. It is bright and sunny outside - looks like it will be a pretty day.
I still had no side effects from my vaccine over the weekend. Apparently I was lucky. About half the folks I know at work who got it when I did were feeling pretty crummy on Friday.
I moved my window AC so I could drain the water per the error code, but no water came out. So now I get to see if I can contact the company for more advanced troubleshooting. In the meantime I have replace my mattress pad, switched to bamboo sheets, and added another fan blowing right on me. I can sleep comfortably without needing the extra AC. But since I have it, I'd like it to work.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Woke up to a bit of fresh snow this morning! Spring in Central Oregon! It will probably be gone by noon.

Had the 2nd shot on Saturday morning and except for a really painful arm I had no other side effects. Feeling relieved it's over.

Jane, that was me asking about the Oasis. Got mine yesterday and so far I like it. I like to be able to hold a Kindle in one hand and so far this works the best. Thanks for your observations! I almost traded in my old Paperwhite, but then thought what will I do if I don't like the Oasis?

Hope you all have a pleasant,,safe and healthy day.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Hi. Just checking in. Not much going on here. We had a t-storm warning last night but it was just a very heavy downpour, right at the time I wanted to go out to get a slice of pizza (so I didn't go). Very sunny today, 54 now at 4pm. I need to push myself to get out into the sunshine for a little while. Hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Good afternoon. I should have posted over the weekend after I got the vaccine, but I just didn't. The shot was a piece of cake, very minor sore arm Saturday morning. I was exhausted all weekend and did a lot of sleeping. I'm not sure whether that was vaccination related or I have just become so lazy over the last year that excitement about the shot, take-out food eaten outside with a friend beforehand, stopping at the pharmacy and a little grocery shopping before coming home wore me out. DH had zero side effects. I did get emotional after getting that 1st shot; all I could think about was I'm about 6 weeks away now from being able to hold my grandkids. Feel great today.

Temperatures are in the 70s today, but very, VERY windy - just howling out there.

Everyone stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
About 5pm I went out and took a walk to Riverside Park South (entered at 59th St.) on up into original Riverside Park (which starts at 72nd St.). It was a long walk for me (considering how my knee is) at 4.3 miles. I even walked up a very long flight of stairs above 72nd to get to the street level part of the park and walked up to 78th. When I saw the stairs I didn't think I would do it, but it wasn't so bad and best done without the cane. It was either that or walk back to 59th St. with no ramps or stairs or a ramp at 70th that goes for two blocks. I did not stay long enough to see the sunset.

I took out a slice of pizza on the way home.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Jane, that was me asking about the Oasis. Got mine yesterday and so far I like it. I like to be able to hold a Kindle in one hand and so far this works the best. Thanks for your observations! I almost traded in my old Paperwhite, but then thought what will I do if I don't like the Oasis?

Hope you all have a pleasant,,safe and healthy day.
For some reason I am most comfortable having 2 Kindles. One by my chair and one by my bed. The Oasis is best when I am reading in bed because it is easy to use with one hand. The Paperwhite goes with me wherever I go. It fits better in my purse than the Oasis. I might just be imagining this!

Anyway, enjoy the Oasis.

Jane

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning.

The weather yesterday was really enjoyable. I mowed as we are expected to get another inch of rain over the next 24 hours or so.

II works tonight and tomorrow night plus we both see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. His is for the one year checkup on his shoulder replacement last February. His original appointment was canceled during the snow event. I will finally find out the results of the CT scan of my shoulders.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Good morning. Winter has returned to Iowa for a few days! Wind chills have the temperature down to 17 degrees this morning and there is snow in the northern half of state. Crazy swings.

Nothing new happening here. MIL gets her 2nd vaccine today in Florida and will be returning home in a couple of weeks.

Stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Good morning. We are cooler again here as well. It's only 57 and it is cloudy and kind of damp.
We got lucky with the weather at the drive-thru vaccincation center for DH's first shot. He got the Moderna one and so far the only side effect he's had is a sore arm. He got it scheduled through Austin Public Health and they are supposed to set him up for the second dose automatically.
I would like to know how my 25-pound doggie can force me to the extreme edge of the bed without appearing to move.
Glad to hear everyone is doing OK. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning.

Weather here is cooler also - I guess we needed to be reminded that winter wasn't quite through with us. Lows will be in the 30s the next couple of nights. At least we didn't get the amount of rain originally predicted yesterday.

Andra, I am asking the same thing about a 6 pound cat. I've never had a cat that slept as soundly as Mystic does or is as hard to get to move so you can straighten out your legs.

We got our second doses of the vaccine 2 weeks ago today. Of course, the governor lifted the mask mandate today. A lot of businesses are saying they will continue to require masks but I wonder how well that will be enforced. We think we might try dining at a restaurant sometime in the next week or so. But I won't go to one that has gone back to 100% capacity. And I'm sure we'll go late afternoon or early evening.

Hope things are going well for all. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hopefully our temp will go over 70 this afternoon! Yay!!

One of our local businesses that refused to require masks was just fined $27,000 by the state. They were very blatant about it too. Now that the weather has improved, there are lots of people heading out for the lakes for fishing, hiking, etc. so at least they'll be outdoors. I'm all for that!

Our tax volunteer program ends on the 8th, so I'm about through with my part of it and I sure hope that next year we get to go back to what was normal for us before. Then someone else can handle making and then confirming all these appointments and I can just prepare taxes. I've sent out almost 500 emails since mid-Feb to clients. Yikes!

I'm off to go deliver some yarn to a friend of mine. And that's my day. Stay well!

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
it's grey and gloomy here today, and that's how i'm feeling.

i'm kind of annoyed that i'm being yelled at for doing as much work as i'm doing. people are saying i'm taking too much work at one time, but i'm not. it's just that 1) i'm working at a time when few other people are and 2) i'm just faster than the rest of them, so i can two batches in the time they do one.

but the good news is that i'm being transitioned to a permanent full time position, so i'll get a bit of a bump in pay and be eligible for insurance next month.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Congrats, Telracs for permanent full-time. I hope this goes well for you.

I stayed in Wednesday because of rain, except to go to building next door to give my rent to the super. Our managing agent has asked us to do that since pandemic started because she does not trust the mail. I had writtent the check Monday and suddenly remembered early this evening that it was the last day of the month.

It may continue raining this morning for a while. 55 now. We may hit a low of 30 today!

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
Thanks LL and ML.....

Bad night tonight. everyone had computer issues the last two days, so everyone jumped on all the work earlier and i couldn't get a lot of time in to make up for the time I lost!

finally got a bit of work now, so i'm going to type sloooooowly and try and milk it a bit.

i think our rain is due to stop around 11 AM, although it looks like it'll be in the 40s. but i have to mail my rent check and my phone bill check, so i'll try and go out around 2 PM and hit the grocery store also.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Good evening. It's been a horrible day. I had too many things go sideways at work to even count. I am glad I'm off tomorrow.

Congrats on the job telracs.

DH still only has a sore arm. I am thankful he had no bad side effects.

Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Andra, I am sorry about how things were at work on Thursday.

I've been growing out my gray hair by not coloring it since July. It is taking much longer than I expected. I was thinking of coloring the gray part -- planned to do that when I got up today. But it looked much better after I got up, so I thought, hey, this is OK for now.

It is getting colder. It was in the low 40s when I went out to Target Thursday evening. 39 now. I wanted to buy a slice of take-out pizza on the way home but was wary about going over to 10th Avenue and I was carrying enough with the things I'd bought. I took out from Burrito Box on 9th Avenue instead. It was very filling and of course I ate it all.

Hope you all stay well. Happy Easter if you observe it. I don't do much now, but I sang in a church choir in the 1990s and I took off Good Friday for the long service. I liked those solemn things we sang for the long service. Easter service was always loud brass and choir.

34661 - 34680 of 34713 Posts