·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Congrats, Telracs!

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
i miss burrito box.....

thanks for all the congrats, but to be honest, i thought i had been offered a full time perm job in January, so this transition is a bit annoying. i have to submit to a background check, fill out a job application and get a drug test.

getting set up for the drug test was amusing. they sent me paperwork for a site that was at least 1/2 hour to 45 minute train ride into a neighborhood that would not normally venture into. so i asked for a different site. they came up with one that is only 20 minutes away. then i realized what lab they would be using and checked if the location near me for that lab does the test, and once i saw they did, i now have paperwork for a site that is a 5-10 minute WALK away.

and to make things even more amusing, one of my references is the CEO of the company that i'm "applying" to work for.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning.

29 degrees here but we're heading to a high of 69 with sunny skies.

The doctor injected my right shoulder on Wednesday. It has helped enough that I will probably get the left one injected when I see him in a month. He was complimentary of how the rotator cuff repair from 1989 looked on the CT scan. He said II's shoulder replacement looked good and gave him a couple of suggestions on how he might still increase range of motion behind his back.

The doctor's appointments and II's work schedule have kept him from getting his normal amount of sleep this week. He had trouble going to sleep yesterday even after working Wednesday night. Hopefully a full night's sleep last night will have helped. He works Saturday and Sunday, then has 5 nights off. Looking forward to maybe getting a couple of outside chores dealt with next week.

Laundry and whatever else I find I'm interested in doing on today's agenda.

Hope your weekend goes well. Enjoy your extra day off if you get one. Stay safe.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
had a good day yesterday, then ended up crashing today.

yesterday i got up around noon, checked my e-mail and dealt with the drug lab thing (see my last post) and also got an e-mail from my supervisor to set up a meeting for her to teach me stuff to get me hours of work without fighting other people.

then i got dressed and took a nice long walk to the post office to mail my rent check and to a distant supermarket. got a few things, but didn't over do. managed to catch a bus on the way back, but didn't take it all the way home, got off and hit two bakeries, so now i have greek easter bread (yes, i know it's passover), baklava, an apple turnover, a cheese danish and a few cranberry walnut rolls.

took a brief nap when i got home, then logged on for my meeting. which never happened, apparently she got too busy to deal with it.

i slept in today (i don't seem to be able to do 2 days of outside back to back) and checked my e-mail. my supervisor wrote that she was going to send me the instructions and list. well, 4 hours later, still no instructions or list, but an e-mail from her phone that her computer crashed and she couldn't do anything.

so i'm looking at 25 hours instead of 40 this week. but keep telling myself something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
i am sure she does NOT have her act together. fortunately, the evening supervisor is a bit better, but it's still no fun.

last night there was finally enough work so that i got up to 32 hours for the week. but i'll probably get in trouble for taking too much work again.

today i slept till 1 PM, then took a walk to one of the grocery stores. it was kind of crowded, but not too terrible. it was nice out, so there were a lot of people out and way too many kids around unsupervised.

after i got home, i took a nap then spent a nice conversation with a friend in Arizona.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning and Happy Easter.

It will be quiet around here today as II will be sleeping. Not a bad way to spend a lovely spring day, however.

Hope your Sunday is peaceful. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Good morning and Happy Easter. It is supposed to reach 80 degrees today! DH is already working outside. A non-traditional meal is planned for later, ribeye, broccoli salad, and roasted maple bourbon syrup glazed sweet potato coins.

DS and family will stop by late this afternoon for grandkids to get their Easter bags - choices were slim this year, but I think they will still enjoy them. MIL returns from Florida for the summer on Thursday, she is now fully vaccinated - YAY!

Stay safe, be well, have a blessed day.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Good evening from southern Arizona.

I successfully completed the 5 mile trail race on Saturday in what mat be a record slow time. I was 61 minutes slower than the next slowest 5 mile racer and the slowest 10 mile runner finished nearly faster than I did. I suspect that this description is only one sentence from being able to be used as a word problem. 😉😆 I was being extra careful to not hurt my knee as I knew that I was not in shape for this race. I enjoyed the race and am glad that I signed up for it.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and have a wonderful week.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
A late Happy Easter.
I slept very late on Sunday. I went out just as the sun had gone down. Went to Westerly for some vitamins and then Rite-Aid on 8th Ave. and 50th Street. Walked to 9th and bought take-out dinner at Aqua Boil. They are a Cajun seafood place. I had shrimp basket with fries. The sauce that came with it was so good.

I bought two small packages of Prince of Peace ginger chews at Rite-Aid. They had "original" and "lemon." I bought only the original but was disappointed when I tasted a lot of lemon on them. It was like the lemon flavor they put on lollipops. There was no indication of lemon on the package. Last year I bought them many times at Amazon, 6 packages (4 oz. each) but they don't sell them in that quantity now.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
i slept in today (sunday seems to have become my crash day).
then i called a friend for easter, forgetting that she is in Florida visiting her brother and his family that just moved down there, so it was nice to catch up with them.
then crebel and i texted while watching food networks Tournament of Champions.
finally i made my appointment to pee in a cup for the drug test, and then i filled out my employment application and e-mailed it back to the HR people.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
Good morning.

II has crashed for a while. Last week's schedule was not conducive to him getting enough sleep so I think he will be out for a while. He was tired enough when he left work this morning that he forgot to leave building security's keys and cell phone at the arena. I drove him back up to drop them off. I need to get out and make some longer drives more frequently so I don't get out of practice. I didn't have any problems this morning, but I could tell it had been a while since I was in heavier traffic.

I'm feeling enough safer covid wise to spend a little longer buying groceries this week if I see Kroger still enforcing mask wearing. If not, I'll get what I prefer to pick out myself and schedule a pickup order for later. I'll still not spend a lot of time in one spot and hope I catch a short line at checkout.

I don't imagine we'll do a whole lot today, but we both have projects in mind for II's days off the rest of the week.

Hope your week is a good one. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Happy Monday! crebel, what on earth is going on in Iowa??? Today my big project is to drive up to Bend and pick up my completed taxes. Can you tell how exciting my life is? At least the dog will get to go for a ride.

Made plans to go up and visit my friends who live in the San Juan Islands (NW of Seattle) for a week in mid May. I just love that place!

If the weather permits, I'll work on my Vitamin D on the deck and either read or knit.

Stay well!

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Had some sleep problems last night. After one hour of sleep, I was awake for a few hours. Got up at 2. The weather was great. I used the bike at home first and later went out for a walk. I had the crazy idea that I might see cherry blossoms at Columbus and 81st in Margaret Mead Park (the yard behind the Museum of Natural History). The blossoms are not there yet. I took pictures of daffodils. I've been watching some current NYC walking youtube videos where there are pink blossoms. Most years I go out too early to see them or too late.

My knee was bad before I was half done with my walk. I never learn. It was 3.6 miles total. One of the reasons I couldn't sleep last night was thinking about getting knee replacement. I had some email exchanges with an old friend who had both knees replaced over two summers (she was a teacher). She had put it off a long time, but she was younger than I am now. She thinks I should not wait. At the time she had hers, she lived in rehab for a long time, but these days you go home sooner. I would have to be able to walk up 4 flights to get to my apartment. I would need to now more about this. I might do physical therapy. I know of people whose experiences didn't turn out well. The friend who contacted me yesterday thinks hers went well. She still walks very slowly. Her wife walks ahead of her when they are on a walk. I saw this first hand in Salt Lake City during the last flute convention I went to.

I got a slice of pizza just before I got home from my walk. Hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
mlewis. my sister has had both knees replaced and is now getting ready to have one of the replacements replaced. she is going home the same day and not going to rehab at all.

·
Registered
22,081 Posts
II is almost 11 years post-op on his knee replacement. He did outpatient therapy for a few weeks after a short stay in the hospital. I won't say it was a piece of cake - therapy was hard work but I don't think he has ever regretted it.

Good morning.

An expected high of 79 today with sunny skies. I think the plan for the day is doing some sorting, organizing, and cleaning in the small bedroom we use for pantry overflow and other assorted items.

The trip to Kroger yesterday was uneventful. It wasn't terribly crowded and all but one person I saw was wearing a mask. Announcements reminding people masks were expected were made frequently. Aisles were not crowded; I frequently was the only person in a particular aisle.

Our eldest has an appointment for the vaccine next week. He hates shots but is so ready to feel safer and be able to get out.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Good morning.

Spotsmom, I'm not sure what "going on" you are wondering about - crazy weather, crazy politicians, crazy residents in general, crazy me? My answer would be all of the above are currently present in the state. o_O:ROFLMAO:

I have some paperwork to do and it should be an uneventful day. Some rain showers are in the forecast.

Stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
last night started slow at work, but then there were some complicated batches (people were scanning stuff out of order), so i had to slow down, so by the time there was more work, i was ready for it. i worked until 7 AM, then called a friend for her birthday.
i have a lab appointment for 3:45, then i'm going to take a walk. haven't decided if i'm going to go inland to the park, or down to the water. problem with going to the water is that it means climbing uphill on the return and i HATE those grades.
i'm going to take my backpack with me, so i can stop off at one or the other grocery store (NYC charges for bags now)

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Thanks, Telracs and Loonlover, for your comments about knee replacement. I hadn't heard of anyone not going for physical therapy, but they seem to be improving the process a lot as time goes on. I think it's different for each person.

I don't know if I mentioned that my brother Stan's woman friend is planning on a knee replacement later this month. Stan got a new hip last year.

I used the indoor bike but did not go out today. It was nice out again. I had the living room window open for a while when it was 70. It is 61 now.

I watched part of a youtube video today where the guy went to Brooklyn Botanical Gardens to check out the pink blossoms. Many of the trees haven't blossomed yet, but some have and they were so pretty. He said he is going back next week. The channel is dutchmazz Yesterday he was in Central Park.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I have a friend who has had both knees replaced. She is single and lives alone, and the PT folks came to her house. She did just fine. I also have friends who have had replacements and were snow skiing the next year.

crebel, I guess I meant politics. Strange things...

Today was about 70 degrees and nearly perfect weather. A bit cooler tomorrow but still quite nice.

Wish we had blossoming trees where I live at 4100'. Our aspens haven't even thought about budding yet (below freezing at night).

34681 - 34700 of 34713 Posts