Kindle Forum banner
34961 - 34980 of 35114 Posts

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good evening from central Arizona.

No new raised bed today but the old bed is dismantled and the water line that went under the location of the third new bed has been cut a couple feet past the tree well with an orange tree. We finished working by the time the temperature dropped to 96°F. I should be able to finish the last bed tomorrow. Then I can start laying the paths between the beds with the pavers from the old garden.

I hope your tomorrow is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hello from HOT (for here) Central Oregon where the temps are supposed to be in the high 90's and low 100's for at least the next week. So glad we have A/C, but so many people don't because it's usually not needed but a couple of days a summer when the temp gets into the 90's. So I'll be inside sulking and reading. Just in the middle of the James Patterson and Bill Clinton book "The President's Daughter". A real page turner (at least for me).

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend. Stay cool and safe.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
We have been lucky about the weather this week. After a hot/humid Monday, it has been cool for summer -- 70-75-81 during the day (Friday the warmest in the afternoon at 81 or 82). Very dry, no rain. It rained a lot Tuesday, but we've had three good days since then.

I swam Wednesday and Friday. Now up to 50 laps (x 25 yards), so 5/7 mile the last two times. My PT person has been on vacation this week, so I had someone else Tuesday and then on Wednesday he decided to take Thursday off. They offered me a morning appointment on Thursday that I turned down. I diligently did my exercises on Thursday.

Having a little trouble from a neighbor at the bottom in my D column and the managing agent. The neighbor complained to the super about my AC unit dripping and he texted me Monday night. Then on Thursday the assistant to the agent called me rather threateningly and told me to let her know when I have had my AC removed or serviced. I was scared enough to think I might buy a new one from the company that reinstalled my unit in 2018 last time the agent complained (they were right that it was not installed according to NYC code, no bracket -- I'd had a handyman install back around 2011 and he did it wrong, but it was working fine for me). I had an AC company reinstall it in 2018 for $250.

Then I searched my old notes to myself in emails and through google and see that a drip, especially in very hot, humid weather is indeed normal and that if it doesn't drip, it's because the drain in the unit is clogged and that can make it leak into the apartment. I sent the article in an email to the assistant and haven't heard back yet. I'll probably receive a hard copy letter soon from them. They've wanted me out of here for years because my rent is low. If this bothers the first floor neighbor (they have a yard downstairs), then how do they manage when it's pouring rain? Flash floods?

We may have 90 degrees in a few days. I only use the AC when I really need it and go by how it feels, not what the weather says.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Well, here I am, a day later, with two posts in a row. I was home most of the day until I took a walk an hour before sunset. It was so humid and my knee was aching. Earlier when I took out garbage, I looked up and noticed there are a lot of window air conditioners next door and even on the front of my building. As my landlord renovated apartments in the past 10 years, they put in sleeves with an air conditioners. I suspect some of those units died and people bought window ACs.

I noticed dripping from some of them, especially next door on the 3rd floor. It was coming down on a planter and the sidewalk. Saw another dripping one in that building. Our management owns 4 buildings in a row, including that one. The two beyond mine are floor-throughs with twice the space of mine (mine is a half railroad and theirs are full ones). One of my neighbors who is also on the back told me that her AC drips. So there!!!

I still haven't turned on my AC since last Monday. The humidity hasn't hit my living area yet and I'm doing well with fans and a breeze through the window.

Hope everyone is well!

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Good morning.

Breakfast out Friday was enjoyable, but then I was lazy the rest of the day. I mowed the yard yesterday and II started cutting down the tree that died during the cold this winter. (It was a young one compared to the ones in the yard when we moved in over 43 years ago.) We hadn't been in the house 20 minutes and a pop up shower blew through. Cooled things off for oh, 15 minutes or so.

Not much on the agenda for today other than feeding us. I tend to be a little slower the day after I mow.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Good morning. Much the same here as the rest of the U.S., excessively hot and humid with scattered rain, storms, and severe weather.

This coming Saturday is FINALLY my planned trip to my sister's house for a week. I am so excited (and already packing). DH has a yucky week of extra work/meetings into the evening hours trying to stay ahead of everything before his trip to the NW (now those are some crazy temperatures there). I'm really happy to not be joining him this time. On the bright side, the extra busy week nights mean I don't have to do any cooking this week - woohoo!

Stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good morning from central Arizona.It is shortly before 6 a.m. and 86°F. The high is expected to get to at least 106°F.

I am headed home this morning for a couple days to do laundry and repack for a return Wednesday for the next stretch of relatively cooler (~100) weather. Next time I will be bringing our portable outside flood lights for working after sunset. ;) The raised beds are moved. Next is completely clearing the old garden area, laying the paved paths in the new garden area, and moving the compost bins. That will leave the area ready for the concrete person to provide an estimate for leveling the area and adding the concrete slab for the backyard studio and additional parking by the driveway. I will also be here while my daughter is away for a couple weeks. I will be able to give her dogs their medications when both granddaughters happen to be working at the same time.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Good morning! It's pretty muggy here right now even though it's only 75. Extended forecast calls for rain pretty much the next 10 days. That will make pulling the trailer down to my mom's for the Fourth a lot of fun. I'm glad we have the trailer as an option, but it's a lot more work than just staying in the guest house at my mom's. I am ready for my uncle to find his own place to live.
We got a LOT of cleaning done the weekend. The "game room/dining room" is now the gym annex. We took the legs off the dining room table and stored it out of the way. Then we moved the seated elliptical over to that side of the entry. Wednesday morning I will move the weight bench and the Total Gym to clear a path to the treadmill. Then once the new treadmill is in place we will decide where to put everything else.
We made a trip to the storage unit and got some stuff out of the garage. The pile of stuff for Goodwill is pretty large and it kept raining on and off yesterday, so that will probably stay in the garage for a while. It's not like my car is here and needs the garage space...
Have a great week.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Photo of old raised garden bed a few years ago.

Current state of old garden. Central pavers and pavers in front of back bed to be removed. There are pavers around the edge of the garden that had been supporting the old raised bed that will also be removed. Those will be used to make a place for the compost bins (not shown) to sit instead of just sitting on gravel. The section of the back bed with the first 4 Mexican Bird of Paradise trees will be removed later.

New raised beds in side yard. The leaves in the foreground belong to a dwarf orange tree. It grows yummy oranges. 😀

I hope to finish the paving around the new beds later this week with the pavers still in the location of the old bed. That mismatched front row and back row are temporary to hold the leveling sand in place.

I will be working at turtle 🐢 speed in the heat. 😉👍

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Good morning. 74 and mostly pleasant right now. I did drive in rain on the way to the office, and it will probably be raining when I drive home also. Ginger and I went for a walk before I left and it was just kinda misty, so that worked out ok.
We have to move the remainder of the gym equipment this evening so there is a direct path to the treadmill. But all that's left is the Total Gym, the weight bench, and my Bosu and Terra-Core balance trainers. Oh - and the yoga mats hanging on the rails of the current treadmill - not sure where those are going to end up.
Have an awesome day.

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Good morning.

77 heading to 88 with thunderstorms possible this afternoon.

We're headed to the endodontist's office in North Little Rock this morning. The dentist wants some sort of scan of II's mouth before he begins the work on implants. Apparently, the endodontist can only do it in his NLR office.

Otherwise, particular plans for the day. Made a trip to Fresh Market and Trader Joe's yesterday. It was a nice outing as we also stopped at a different Hallmark store and I got a new Vera Bradley duffle bag. I plan on exploring that store again.

Hope your day is going well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Good morning. Our temperatures and humidity levels are down this morning from "sweltering" to "mostly normal". We've had more than our share of rain the last two weeks in the southeast part of Iowa while the rest of the state is still in drought conditions. I'm thankful rain is out of the forecast here for the next week and wish we could share what we already got with some others.

Only 2 more sleeps until my week with my sister!! LOL, how many of you counted down days with little ones by "sleeps" left? Softball game tonight watching granddaughter and then maybe take-home tacos for supper (one of the few fast foods available within the points we're counting). My refrigerator is looking pretty bare trying to clean it out before being gone.

I hope everything goes well for II with his implant plans. It does seem like dentists are leaning more and more to implants rather than partials or bridges for everything. I'm sure my long and involved process was exacerbated by my dental phobia. Our son is getting 2 implants this month starting with a bone graft after a failed root canal created problems leading to the loss of 2 teeth.

Stay safe, be well.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Good morning (well almost). My trip to the dentist went well and I have a temporary crown. The permanent one should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Our new treadmill arrived yesterday. We are still figuring out how to arrange all the gym equipment, but we don't have to be in a hurry for that. I am looking for a weight rack that will store my 8lb - 15lb dumbbells and my kettlebells. No hurry there either.
The big news here though is that my car is fixed! My brother got the gas tank out over the weekend and discovered that there was a wet spot on the top where the fuel pump is located. There is a short (1 foot) hose that connects up there and he was just barely leaking at the fitting. So he replaced that hose and also replaced the fuel pump since it was original and he had the tank out. He says he drove it home last night and when he put it back on the lift this morning he could no longer smell gasoline. I'm so relieved. I was starting to think it was all in my head.
Stay dry. Stay cool. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Andra, good news about the car.

Good morning.

II said it took longer for them to make the CD to take to the dentist than it did to take the xray/scan. He wasn't in the office for much more than 5 minutes.

Laundry on my agenda for today. We don't have any plans for the weekend so we'll just see what we get ourselves up to as each day goes by. The forecast is for slightly cooler temps the next few days. We did get 1/2 inch of rain during a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon. The rainfall was fairly gentle so runoff was minimal.

Have a good weekend. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Good morning.

Hope everyone has been enjoying their weekend.

We had more neighbors shooting off fireworks this year than we've had in many a year. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear more today.

Our air quality index is 123 and unhealthy for sensitive groups but there is not an air quality alert. Still not sure II should walk today and I think I'll wait until another day to mow. The forecast high is 91 with sunny skies.

Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
It was cool and cloudy with some rain on Saturday, about 64 degrees and I stayed in. Sunday, the 4th, I went to the pool for laps and some jacuzzi time. The weather turned out beautiful, not getting above 79. I was starving after the swim, so I went for a slice of pizza. Got home in time to watch fireworks on TV. Watched the Macy's on NBC, Capitol Fourth on PBS and some youtube of Coney Island fireworks. It looked so crowded at all of these places.

Anyone else watch the Macy's fireworks? They even created an illusion of fireworks shooting out of the Empire State Building. What a show.

There were also a lot of illegal fireworks. Seems they were all over the country. Last summer there was so much of that but for a long period even before the 4th.

About 1am last night I saw a mouse. It went right for the wall where I have glue boards and it was trapped. Relieved that it was trapped so soon but disturbed that there was one. Last time was in November (caught it same way). I'd heard that an apartment on the ground floor in back has had them but I don't know how bad it is there.

My brother has bird feeders on his deck. He said he has caught a few mice outside on the deck (they wanted the bird food) with sticky board. (He's in a small town in Georgia.)

Belated happy Independence Day, everyone.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
DH says it's hotter than the hinges of hell here, plus our a/c went out on the hottest day ever recorded (110+). Can't get anyone out here for another hot week. It has started to cool down in the evenings so sleep isn't impossible.

But the great news with the heat and fire danger is that the local city and county banned fireworks until July 9. I hope people will have forgotten about them by then

Stay cool everybody.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good evening from southern Arizona. As of late Monday afternoon, I am back at home.

I have moved the garden beds and compost bins to their new locations. I have all of the pavers moved except for the ones under the retaining wall that will be moved when the landscapers remove the four tree sized Mexican Bird of Paradise bushes. I didn't finish the new garden paths but did get to spend some wonderful time with my granddaughters. Also, when it was too hot to work outside and the granddaughters were at work, I started the 100 days 100 blocks sew along on July 1st. We spent the evening of the Fourth trying to keep the dogs calm. Thankfully, Ricky is now a bit deaf.

Sunday I will be in the 5 mile Run With the Rosters race and Tuesday I am scheduled to donate blood to the Red Cross followed by taking my car in for maintenance. I am hoping to get a few days ahead in the sew along so that I don't need to worry about how late I might get home on Sunday or Tuesday.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Good morning.

Isolated thunderstorms possible today, naturally they are expected about the time we leave for my appointment with the orthopedist. I'm due for injections in my shoulders again. Since the diagnosis of osteopenia in one hip, we'll have to discuss the risk of side effects from the steroids. However, since the pain in my shoulders kept me awake last night, I have just have to take my chances in order to get some relief.

I am walking most days, but do wish it were possible to make use of more of the existing sidewalk. Make the trek south of the house maybe 1 out of 10 outings due to being able to see the dogs are out of the fence a couple of houses down. When I go east, I don't go as far as the house where I was bitten in January as I have had dogs come running toward me when I'm 2-3 houses away. So I just go back and forth on the areas I am comfortable walking. So tired of people not really attempting to keep their animals under control. Rant over.

II's birthday is Friday so we will be going out to celebrate it either tonight or tomorrow night. Going out on a Friday night just does not appeal. Our 50th anniversary is Saturday, but I think we might just do takeout for it from one of the steak houses. We've kind of gotten used to bringing meals home, although we might go out for breakfast Saturday morning.

Hope your week is going well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Good morning (12:08 am) from Reykjavik, Iceland! I arrived at lunchtime after my flight was delayed six hours, took a taxi into town, and when I got to my hotel room showered and fell asleep for four hours. Tomorrow I join a photography group and we will go to an island north of Iceland, literally on the Arctic Circle, and we will photograph birds for a few days. First airline trip since the pandemic! Other than flight delays everything is going okay. Be safe out there!

Reactions: mlewis78
34961 - 34980 of 35114 Posts