Kindle Forum banner
35041 - 35060 of 35080 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hi folks, nothing much to report on here. Claw, I saw a photo on Facebook taken last night in Alaska of the Northern Lights. I hear you can pretty much guarantee seeing them in the winter in Iceland. Want to go back?

We have had heavy smoke here for days, and temps up in the high 80's and 90's. Calling for rain tonight and tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it. Dry lightning storms we do not need. Tomorrow is forecast to be mid 60's. Ahhhh.

Hoping my bored mood will improve somewhat with football and baseball edging towards the playoffs. I am glad that I'm not dealing with health issues as so many others are. Just dealing with the usual COVIdiots. And that can be very wearing.

Have a great weekend and hope for rain for me!

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

We're keeping busy - actually did some sort of errand every day this week. Cabin fever is a bit evident. Risks are weighed before venturing out. Our trip to Georgia is getting really close. We decided our mental health needed the break and we'll do everything we can to stay safe while we are gone.

Mystic has been scratching at her ears so we're headed to the vet this morning. I will actually go inside with her this trip and meet the vet. Our previous visits have been curbside.

Spotsmom, hope you get your rain.

Stay safe, everyone.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Good morning.
Just checking in since this week is going to be crazy.
We have a tropical storm headed for parts of the Texas coast that will probably affect my brother, my mom, and my MIL. I think we are far enough inland that it won't have much to do with us. I have to go to office all week since we have a special Commission Meeting about Chronic Wasting Disease on Wednesday and a Texas Farm and Ranch Committee Meeting on Thursday. We are trying new to us technology that is making me very nervous. The good news is that I have gotten used to that over the past year and have managed to find some good coping techniques in addition to eating chocloate :)
We are wearing masks and staying away from people - nothing new there.
Take care everybody. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Andra, I just tried to get up to speed on which hurricane or tropical storm is the current one and saw Nicholas, that it made landfall in Texas, but that is all I know. I hope all your people are safe.

I learned on Friday that my brother's woman friend has covid again. She had it in August 2020, was fully vaccinated this year and has it now. Not sure if she is better yet. She was to start training in a new job on Monday, the 13th. Then I learned that my niece Nancy and her 7-yr. old daughter Millie both had covid recently. She tested negative on Aug. 26 and days later tested positive. She was fully vaccinated but the 7-yr. old can't have vaccinations (as you all know). Nancy teaches 6th grade near Chapel Hill, NC. She said they mask up but there is no social distancing.

We had a big thunderstorm about 10pm for 45 minutes. It feels humid now. It was nice out on Monday but a bit warm. I went to PT and then walked up to W. 72nd street to a good shoe store to find better walking shoes. Tried on Hoka and ended up with top of the line New Balance that cost more than I ever would have imagined. I had figured it would be about $130. No. they were much more. Also bought a pair of expensive inserts and another pair by Birkenstock that have a good arch form (hard like my old custom orthotics). I hope that the new shoes will help with my walking, considering my knee problem.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
mlewis - yes it was Nicholas. It turned enough that it went in higher up the coast than originally anticipated. My mom and MIL both got about half an inch of rain. It totally missed my brother.

We had a successful meeting today. I should sleep well tonight!

Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
It was very hot and humid today. I had to turn on the AC during the night when I could not get back to sleep. I had my annual physical at the doctor today and they moved my appointment from 2pm to 11:40am only the day before. It was so that the doctor could leave earlier to prepare for Yom Kippur that started at sundown tonight. It worked out OK. Took a bus up to W. 72nd for that appointment and afterwards got the downtown bus from Columbus & 72nd to 42nd in order to swim.

I used to never take buses, because sometimes you have to WAIT a long time for them and sometimes they never come. There is an app that shows where the next bus is and how long it should take to get to my stop. I'd just missed one after the swim and the app showed that none were coming for a long time, so I walked.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Spotsmom, my friend Emily in Portland, OR reported that she was so happy to see some rain on Saturday.

It was 84 and humid on Saturday here in NYC. I didn't go out until after dark and that was to have a slice of pizza and buy a few groceries at Morton Williams on 9th Avenue. I was pretty lazy after having a busy Friday afternoon evening with physical therapy and going to the pool to swim. The PT clinic is located inside an Equinox, and they have had me using some machines. There was a trainer with his client there and when the client left, he was pitching himself to me about having him as a trainer. I listened to him, but I wasn't interested.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

Wow, Spotsmom, 46 degrees. I'm not ready for it to be quite that cool but am really looking forward to it being cool enough our walk doesn't have to be the first thing we do every morning. Glad to hear it rained.

We have appointments a couple of days this week plus we'll be getting ready for our trip. I've been checking the weather where we're heading. At the moment the ten day forecast is looking good.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
It is supposed to freeze tonight, but in the low 80's a couple of days this week. Fall is here. I'm thankful. However, no rain in the forecast for at least the next week.

Where's Telracs?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Good morning!
Freezing already? I thought we were doing pretty good in the cooling off department with temps in the 60s.
I took my mom for a stress test on Friday so the cardiologist would clear her for a colonoscopy. The results were textbook for a good-functioning heart, so now she has to get the gastro to schedule the next thing.
Our meeting last Thursday did not have a quorum, so it has to be rescheduled. Oh fun.
Not much else going on here.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 63°F and sunny with an expected high of 90°F. However in Gilbert, where we will plan to be moving later this year, it is currently 73°F with an expected high of 97°F. I am NOT looking forward to the hotter weather in central Arizona!

Spotsmom, we also had rain here on Saturday and wish we had more.

Our move is definitely getting closer. A few days ago I reserved a climate controlled self storage unit at a place about a mile from our daughter's house. The unit is inside a building with air conditioning and 24 hour security. The plan for the storage unit to hold stuff that doesn't go directly to our daughter's house but that we would want later, our granddaughters might want later, or is stuff that we still need to sort through to decide what to keep and what to donate. That last category contains all the boxes of stuff inherited from my mom as well as more than 10 bookcases full of books still left after donating at least 3 bookcases worth of books. After we move I will have a sturdy folding table and office chair in the storage unit to use while I go through the boxes and books. My goal is to downsize the storage unit within 6 months.

Tomorrow morning we will fill our pickup truck with packed plastic totes to put in the storage unit. Most of these are totes that I packed back in 2019. Today I will be choosing which totes go on this first trip. After the storage unit, we will go to our daughter's house for a short visit, see the completed concrete work, and determine what remains to be done before the TuffShed is installed October 5th. We have an electrician scheduled to come October 11th. Then we install insulation, dry wall, the split air unit, paint, and flooring.

We will build a safe outside enclosure for our two cats that they can access from a window of the shed. Then we can start moving our stuff from here into the backyard studio and into our bedroom at our daughter's house. We will move in with our cats last. The backyard studio will be filled with furniture and other stuff that they are familiar with. We will wait until they are settled before we introduce them to the other animals at our daughter's house.

We will still have a bed and enough stuff in our current house for trips to finish getting this house ready for sale.

This Sunday I have a 5 mile trail race that I have done no training for. I will be getting A lot of walking in over the next few days. I will take it easy during the race and expect to finish last. 😁

I hope that your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. I am currently a passenger in a pickup truck headed to Gilbert, where it is currently a sunny 84°F and headed to 100°F. We have 18 plastic totes (19 gal./72 l.) In the back. We put a shed door on top and strapped down. Those totes are secure! After lunch and stopping at our daughter's house, we will head back home. 😀

I hope that your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Good morning. 66 and sunny in Austin right now.
I am sitting at the dealership waiting for a state inspection on DH's truck. He came by on Monday and things did not go well, so I decided to do it myself. There are almost no new cars on the lot. And this early in the day there are very few people.
I keep talking myself out of ordering a new Kindle. I wonder how long it will be before I give in? I really want the usb-c charging, but I want it on a device with page-turn buttons.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I found Telracs (or she found me), so all is well. Kind of like the old days when we would lurk around the chat room. Absolutely beautiful weather here. Now that most of the tourons have gone home, the locals get our area back. And the mountains have a little dusting of snow.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently an overcast 72°F and headed to a high of 77°F in Benson. My car is loaded with totes and I am headed to central Arizona where it is a sunny 90°F with a predicted high of 96°F. I will be there until Saturday when I head to Tucson to stay at my sister's house before the early morning Catalina State Park 5 mile trail race. I will head home after that.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

Cooler mornings have certainly been welcome. We've increased our pace a bit on our walks, at least until I stop feeling chilled.

Hope everyone's coming week is a good one. We'll be hitting the road for the first time in almost 2 years. I almost have to pinch myself to believe it is true.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Good Morning Everybody. The weather here in Virginia is awesome today. Going to find a new outfit to wear to fancy schmancy French restaurant for my birthday. And also to all my old friends and new friends (I hope to make) I hope you will go over to the Introduction Thread and read my blurb about coming back here to Kboards. It was sad being away, but duty called and took all my me-time away. Love you guys!!!:love:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently a partly cloudy 55°F and headed to a high of 77°F.

I did complete the Everyone Runs/Everyone Walks Catalina State Park 5 mile race yesterday. I had a fun race but very little went as originally planned. The plan was that the 10 mile race would start at 6:15 a.m. and the 5 mile race would start at 6:30 a.m. starting in waves of 30 runners spaced a minute apart. Instead, notices went out by email and Facebook the evening before to check for updates before leaving for the race. A rainstorm had moved in and the road into the park was flooded. The road was cleared and the race start was rescheduled to 7 a.m. It was raining lightly when I arrived at the parking lot at 6 a.m. I had brought the trekking poles that had been my mom's to help on the trail as my knee had been acting up. Due to the rain and staggered arrival of runners, both races started together at 7 a.m. with a rolling start to allow others to start later when they arrived. I wore a mask in the start area and until I reached the trail and people were well spaced out. I put my mask back on when I approached the finish line and kept it on until I was back in my car. I only ran at the start and the finish. The rain had turned the normally dry and sandy trail to mud in some places and shallow running water in others. All of the wash (water bed) crossings had running water with places more than ankle deep. I was very glad that I had the trekking poles but I was the only runner with them. All the runners passing me seemed to be enjoying the cool weather and intermittent rain as much as I was. I met my goal of finishing the race without slipping, falling, or further aggravating my knee. For a trail race in the rain with hills and stairs, that was an accomplishment. 😁 I was last of the 5 mile runners and one 10 mile runner finished a minute after I crossed the finished line. At the end of the race I learned that the road out of the park was likely to be closed fairly soon. It was a successful race in unexpected conditions.

After the race I went to my sister's house to shower, change, and help with a sewing project. Then I drove home, put a load of clothes in the washer, and took a nap. Today I will be taking it fairly slow and easy while DH and I prepare to take another load of totes and boxes later this week to our storage unit in Gilbert and visit with our daughter and granddaughters. 😀

35041 - 35060 of 35080 Posts