Kindle Forum banner
35061 - 35078 of 35078 Posts

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Spotsmom, I’m always eager to see more northern lights!

once again, I have a hole in my head. Back in the early 2000s, I had a mastoidectomy and a growth removed from my ear, and the growth recurred. I went under the knife Friday for ear surgery. A buddy stayed with me over the weekend, and I am on my own and even worked from home today. I’m not in pain, they gave me painkillers but other than taking one at bedtime I don’t need them. Getting some reading done this evening.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Hooded Claw, sounds like you are doing well. Just wanted to wish you all the best for recovery.

It has been much cooler here in NYC for a few days. It will go down to 54 this morning but then head up into the 60s. 54 is actually when we should have heat, but we won't have it here in my building. They are very slow to get it going. It usually doesn't work until I call and let the super (next door) know that it is cold out and we have no heat. Since it will get up to about 70 soon, we won't have heat for a few weeks. It usually gets rather cold in mid-October.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Hooded Claw, I hope your recovery is continuing well and quickly.

Good morning from southern Arizona. It has been raining off and on the past couple days and has cooled off a bit.

Wednesday afternoon I got my flu shot and Pfizer COVID-19 booster shot. I don't recommend getting both at the same time if you are a side sleeper. Also, my side effect symptoms seemed stronger, mostly the headache and muscle aches. Now, over 36 hours later, all side effects seem to be gone except for the sore lymph nodes under my left arm which was the booster shot side. I picked Wednesday as Thursday was the only day in the next few weeks that I could spend resting.

Later this morning we will pack the pickup truck and my car with more stuff to take to the storage unit. Then we head to my daughter's house to celebrate our oldest granddaughter's birthday. DH will head home tomorrow morning while I will stay at our daughter's house until after the TuffShed (backyard studio) arrives on Tuesday. Between now and then, I have a couple more tree roots to remove. After the shed is in place, I can take inside measurements and plan for furniture and electric outlet locations.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Good morning. I can’t believe it is already October!
I hope you are all doing well. I miss catching up with everyone more regularly…
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

Looks like another week of good weather here.

We arrived home yesterday evening from spending a week in Georgia with friends. We drove through a little rain 3-4 times yesterday, but otherwise the weather was great. The cabin we shared near Dahlonega, GA worked really well for the four of us. A great breakfast was included with the cabin, we ate lunch while doing touristy stuff, and the restaurant at the resort had an excellent dinner menu. We had a good time just catching up. The last time we had seen each other was almost 2 years ago in Nashville. We're making plans to get together again in the spring. The friendship has been going strong since 1982 despite them moving to Georgia in 1988.

Now, to catch up on the laundry and make plans for the week ahead.

Hope your Sunday is a peaceful one.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Good Morning All! It's a little cloudy here in Virginia but it's been beautiful for the last week. No complains. I am planning a trip up to the house in Maine in a few days before the cold weather sets in. Need to see what's going on with the son and granddaughter up near the polar regions. Looking forward to seeing them again.
Everyone have a great Tuesday and do all those things you ever wanted to do on Tuesday.
If you can't climb the mountain, at least enjoy the Fall.
Brown People in nature Plant Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

A little cloudy this morning, but no rain in the forecast. We had about 1 1/2 inches in the rain gauge from the weekend, but North Little Rock received over 5 inches on Saturday. Not going to complain that we avoided that much.

Trying to get back into the routine of things. We walked twice on Sunday and Monday, but just couldn't make ourselves get out this morning. We'll make it out at least once sometime later today. It's allergy shot day, followed by picking up an order at Kroger. You'd think we'd eaten out enough last week, but since we didn't have Mexican while we were gone Tacos for Life is our choice for lunch today.

Hope your week is going well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Loonlover, my brother lives in Dahlonega, GA. Did you go into the town? I have never been there.

I wanted to get my flu shot on the way home from my swim Saturday evening, but the Duane Reade/Walgreens store's pharmacy closed so early (about 5pm) and I didn't want to walk out of my way to the CVS at Columbus Circle. I ended up getting it Sunday afternoon at that CVS. It's big and busy, so I had to check in and take a walk for 30 minutes before they could give it to me.

Monday afternoon I got my flute back from its clean, oil and adjust (repairs). I had not been practicing much at all over the summer, mainly because it needed repairs and the foot joint was so loose that it would fall off sometimes while I played. This flute is a Nagahara that I bought in 2003. I have a Haynes (bought in 1982) that I thought of as a back-up, but when I took it out to play a couple of times last week, it was very hard to play. I had work done on it in 2018 and hardly played it and I think the guy who took my money and "fixed" it did a terrible job. I'm glad to have found the current place where I take my Nagahara flute.

Tuesday evening I went to my health club and first went down to the training floor to use some machines for my legs that I've been using at my physical therapy. It's different at my club. No elevators, and I had to walk down 2-1/2 flights (or so it seemed -- the stairs go around a few times for one flight). They didn't have the leg curl that you sit right side up for; they only had one you lie on your stomach. A member offered to help me with it, but I could not slide far enough forward because of my bad right knee, so I skipped that one. I used 4 machines and then went back upstairs and eventually went into the pool to swim. I think it was a bit much to do all that in one visit. As of this week, they are open one hour later, which is still one hour earlier than pre-Covid closing time. If I continue to use those machines, I just need to do it twice a week. My physical therapist is now at a facility that doesn't have the machines (he was at a clinic inside the Equinox health club where he got me started with the machines).

The weather was very dreary Monday and Tuesday, mostly in the 60s F.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Good morning. It's a lovely, somewhat nippy 61 here right now. Ginger and I will do her walk a little later once I get some daylight. We walk in the dark on days when I have to drive to office, but I'd rather be able to see where I'm going if possible.
It's nice to be home, but I have a lot of laundry! It's a good thing I am working from home most of the week. I'll get a chance to wash decent clothes before I need them. No, I don't wear jammies to work, but yoga pants and t-shirts are not considered proper for the actual office.
I got my trade-in discount for the old kindle that I sent in, so I pulled the trigger on a new Paperwhite. I really don't want another Paperwhite; I want buttons. But I want the USB-C charging worse... Since I waited, I won't see mine until later in November. It's OK. I can wait. That's a far cry from the early days when I wanted a new device on release day.
Flu shots are on the agenda for the weekend. There is a CVS pretty close to us.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Good morning.

We didn't have quite as cool temps as Andra this morning, but it was still pleasant when we ventured out. The expected high today is 78 - that sounds a little more enjoyable than recent days.

mlewis, we did go into Dahlonega. We enjoy visiting the variety of shops around the somewhat unique square. It is a pretty little mountain town. We had an interesting conversation with one of the shop owners that had lived there for 40 years. II bought me some earrings for our golden anniversary that are made from gold from the area. Commercial mining is not allowed, but locals and tourists are allowed to pan for gold in the area. We visited the museum on a previous visit so we skipped it this time.

Nothing on the agenda today other than what we try to get done around the house. Covid boosters are scheduled for tomorrow.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Andra, buttons are wonderful. That's a long wait time!

Low 60s today and 30 tonight. The mountain of snow is gone.

Finally bought an iPad. I had a big credit at Apple so I did it. A knitting app I have runs much better in ios.

Glad to hear you're signed up for your boosters. Are you getting a flu shot too? I hear you have to wait 30 days between the two. True?

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Spotsmom, we got our flu shots September 23, before we went on our trip. But what I'm seeing in the news around here is that you can get them both on the same day. There was a picture in yesterday's paper of a woman getting them at the same time. I still think I would prefer a few days separation. Maybe CVS or Walgreen's websites would provide information.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Our doctor said flu shots plus the others are ok. But she said the shingles shot is different, so I am holding off on that for now.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
A nurse friend advised waiting several months for that shingles shot after getting the COVID ones. I'm not eligible yet, so I'm standing by!

Nice day here in the low 60's. Hopefully some rain later!

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
After a friend had a miserable experience with a second bout of shingles, I got the shingles vaccine, completing the second shot in February 2020, just before Covid changed things!

I drove to a Tulsa and took my mother out to eat Saturday, her first time eating out in months. Today we were told severe weather was a big risk. Other than some lightning in the distance, I haven’t noticed anything.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Good morning.
We have temps in the 70s today with rain in the forecast. We should start seeing colder temps by the weekend. It has been pretty nice to get up and walk in the mornings. Ginger and I got a little wet today.
Saturday DH and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary. We stayed home and played Minecraft and ordered dinner from Salt Grass. On Sunday we went to see the new James Bond movie. I enjoyed it - not sure about the ending.
I am still trying to get a flu shot scheduled. The CVS down the street is short-handed and they said even with an appointment you typically have to wait. So I am checking out other options because I want to get in Thursday at lunchtime if I can. I do my workout with my trainer on Thursday after work and that will help minimize the soreness in my arm after the shot. I usually don't have any issues with the flu shot, but I want to do it after the Town Hall on Wednesday and well in advance of the meetings I have to babysit at the end of October/beginning of November.
My niece has a basketball game scheduled during the time we will be down at the beach. So I might be able to see her play! She is a sophomore this year. Las year she played a few games with the Varsity team, but I have no idea where she ended up this year. She will turn 16 in a few weeks - that's crazy! She was just this tiny little baby. How can she already be 16?
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Andra, belated anniversary greetings. Hope you are successful getting your flu shot. I'm not sure what it would have been like at our normal CVS, but the one inside the Target near us involved no waiting. But that was the 20th of September. No telling what it is like now.

Good morning.

The expected high today is still in the 80s, but every day next week is predicted to be in the 70s. I'm ready!

Fresh Market on our agenda today. Time for chicken breasts and ground beef (the price has gone up on the latter by $1 per pound, I noticed). We're also trying to get ourselves out of the house more days per week than we managed last week.

Hope your week is going smoothly. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Happy Friday!
I was able to get a flu shot pretty easily yesterday. No side effects and the pharmacist was really good with the needle. I barely felt a prick.
We have a cold front due tonight. Our high tomorrow should be low 70s!
Not much else going on here.
Take care. Stay safe.

35061 - 35078 of 35078 Posts