Kindle Forum banner
35081 - 35100 of 35117 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Hi all, good to see crebel and The Claw here. Old regulars.
Fall is here and hopefully we'll be getting some rain this week. The Dept of Forestry is declaring the end of fire season this weekend (how they know that?). Went today and had my teeth cleaned followed by a mammogram. Get 'er done, I say! I had the mammo results in my inbox before I even got home. That's new

Looking forward in 10 days to going to the Oregon Coast for a 3 night weekend with a friend who lives in the San Juan Islands NW of Seattle. Us and our dogs. And the World Series. Hoping it won't end up the Braves and the Astros...

You all stay safe and well out there!

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

Good to hear from everyone.

We're enjoying some nice fall weather. Did put some flannel sheets on the bed yesterday. I stayed much warmer last night and II said he didn't suffer from being too warm.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since we got our covid boosters. Can't say that changed much about what we do or how we interact with the public. I have an appointment with the orthopedist today. Time to get the shoulders injected again. I think II has agreed to eat in a restaurant after the appointment. We did that quite a bit while we were on vacation, but he has been hesitant here at home. Guess he felt like we didn't have a choice while traveling since our friends were used to eating in.

I've not made myself be as busy as I should be around the house. But, no appointments after today for over a week so maybe that will change.

Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Happy Friday!!

We are in that weird time of year where it can be in the 50s or 60s in the morning and still get up to 80s or 90s in the afternoon. It is still way too early for me to think about flannel!
After approval for covid boosters for our age group, we are starting to think about which one to get. I originally had the J&J and he had Moderna. So do we stick with original or go with the mix and match approach? Too much information available right now, but none of it is specific enough to make a decision. I think I am going to send a message to my doctor and see if she has a recommendation. I'm not comfortable going with my MIL's suggestion without some medical backup. (My MIL is a wonderful lady; she spends too much time on FB though)
Hope everyone is well.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Andra, I am a bit confused about the mix and match idea. I would like to get Moderna since I had that before. Are they saying it's the same or just go get one that is easier to find. A few days ago I looked on Walgreens, CVS and Rite-Aid websites and could find none of the 3rd shots.

My brother got his last week and I think it was a full-dose of Moderna (I think most of the 3rd Moderna that I'd hear about were half doses). He got his when he had an infusion for immunotherapy periodically, so I think it was at Emory in Atlanta. He got the immunotherapy, flu shot and the 3rd Moderna all on that day.

After a few days of it being in 70s/high 60s, it will be cooler tomorrow. It is 55 now going to 52 by early AM and then getting up to about 59. I know that there will still be no heat at home. It is fine right now though. Once it is very cool all day, I can ask where the heat is and they might get the boiler fixed. It happens every year now. It's supposed to come on automatically but it never does at the start of the real fall weather.

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

We're in the upper 40s this morning but it will warm back up to the mid 80s today.

The steroid shots in the shoulders Wednesday messed with my sleep the first couple of nights. Slept much better and for a longer time last night. The shoulder pain has eased - at least for a couple of months.

On Wednesday, we ate on the patio of a place that opened early in the pandemic. The food was really good and they have a large selection of menu items. Quantities were large enough we had enough leftovers to bring home to add to our lunch the next day. We'll be back and may also try carryout from there. It is closer to the house than other non-fast food choices.

Hope your weekend is a good one. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Good afternoon! Well, my coast trip got cancelled (DH ended up in the ER yesterday with AFib again and I'm not risking a trip right now). So I'm home with the World Series as predicted. As much of a fan that I am, I only plan to watch elimination games of these two teams. Yuck.

Big rains over the weekend, but too warm to really lay down some snow in the mountains. Every little bit helps!

Stay safe!

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Good evening. Thank goodness we don't have to wait for someone else to turn on heat on! We've had frost already and temperatures won't get out of the 50s this week. Yesterday was pretty dreary with (much needed) rain all day. Cold and wet - but not cold enough to snow, so YAY for that.

I don't blame you for not travelling, spotsmom. Healing thoughts for your DH. I'm with you on the World Series as well. First time in years I don't want to cheer for either team left so I'm not watching any of the games.

Mlewis, my understanding on the booster shots is the major pharmacies/drug stores have not updated their appointment systems and they are all showing no appointments because you are already listed as "fully vaxxed" with the first 2 shots, and because of that, folks are able to walk-in, fill out paperwork, and get them without an appointment. That could be an Iowa circumstance, but it seems to me that it's likely true for any nationwide chain. DH and I miss the age cut-off on the boosters right now, but I think we'll be able to get them when we hit the 6-month from fully vaxxed mark anyway (between Thanksgiving and Xmas).

Everyone be well, stay safe.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good evening from southern Arizona.

Spotsmom, healing thoughts for your DH. Hoping they figure out the cause of the AFib and that is as easy to treat as mine was (electrolyte imbalance - potassium too low).

Our move is progressing. I forgot to post that the TuffShed took longer to install due to not all the right material sent from Tucson. Instead of two days, it wasn't complete for almost a week. It was OK because the structure was finished Friday before the electrical work was scheduled to start on Monday. 😀

Saturday DH and I took most of our old computer equipment to the storage unit for me to deal with after we move. Then we went with our daughter to Home Depot to pick up the drywall, insulation, can-less LED ceiling lights, and ceiling fan with DH's pickup truck and our daughter's SUV. We left DH's truck in our daughter's garage for the handyman she hired for installing the insulation, drywall, lights, and split unit AC. Insulation went into the backyard studio yesterday and drywall started today to be finished tomorrow or the next day along with the split unit AC. I am driving DH so that he can drive his truck home while I will be staying at our daughter's house for a week and a half. Except for the front two seats, my car is packed with most of my sewing projects, some of my fabric stash, and my sewing machine. Since I set up a temporary crafting table in our bedroom at our daughter's house, I realized that my mind already considers that my home location has moved. I expect DH's mind will realize that we have moved when he can move his cats, craft, and hobby stuff into the backyard studio. Moving the rest of the stuff and preparing our house for sale will just be finishing details.

DH and I have both had our booster shots. My daughter got hers on Sunday due to working in health care.

Stay safe. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

Spotsmom, hope your DH's health issue is improving.

Sorry, but I have to say we are enjoying the World Series for the first time in many a year. The most recent years all we did was note who won at the end.

At the moment we are dealing with having to have a portion of our sewer line replaced. The whole line was replaced 9 years ago, but, unfortunately, it has been damaged out near the main line. We had it scoped yesterday and are now waiting on someone to come give us an estimate for the work. We have an estimate from the company that did the scope, but wanted to get one from the company we usually use. However, the decision may come down to who can get the work done the soonest. We're planning on staying in a hotel for one more night, but then I guess we'll be living with a limited amount of water use until the work gets done.

We got our boosters early in October at the hospital where we had gone for the original shots. They already had it set up for picking boosters or 1st or 2nd dosages. Not sure how the pharmacies are set up around here, but more boosters are being given statewide on a daily basis than either 1st or 2nd doses so some body is making them easily available.

II starts the work on his dental implants tomorrow. One reason for staying another night at the hotel was figuring it would be easier to get ready in the morning there than here at the house.

Take care, everyone. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Oh boy- dental implants! So much fun! Have had a couple.

DH has had diagnosed AFib for several years, but this time his pulse was 135! Doc gave him some new pills so we'll see how that works.

So, LL, who are you cheering for? I guess I'm for Atlanta. My brother lives there and is a die hard fan. He also knows the umpiring crew chief, Tom Hallion. I can't cheer for a team with cheaters on it. Although the tomahawk chop is not my favorite thing either. I just mute the sound!

Leaves are blowing around, and there is snow on the mountain tops. Not at our elevation yet (4100'), but that's fine with me. I'll take the rain just fine.

Still no boosters for Moderna relatively available. And I want to stick with them. Will be here soon I'm sure.

Stay safe, my friends!

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

Fall has definitely arrived. Highs in the 50s for a couple of days, a slight warm-up, then some overnight lows down into the 30s over the next week.

We've been Braves fans since we first had cable TV available to us so we are enjoying them finally getting back to the World Series. And, yes, the chop bothers us also. Seems like it should be put to rest. But as hard as it would have been for me (Giants fan back in my younger days when we lived in Reno) to root for the Dodgers had they beaten the Braves, I certainly have no desire to see the Astros win.

II's appointment at the dentist went OK yesterday, although he said it was interesting having the dentist pushing so hard on his jaw. Now we wait 4 months for that to heal, then on to the next step.

I finally got the estimate I was waiting on for the sewer line repair. Now I'll be anxiously awaiting the response letting us know when the work will be done.

Have fun this weekend. Take care, stay safe.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
It has been colder the past two days (40s-56). Still no heat in the building. I sent text to the super this afternoon about it. It does get above 55 in the afternoon, but it was about 48 in the morning, so we should get heat. October 29th today is the latest we've gone with no heat in the fall. I would call 311 about it, but by the time they send an inspector the temp outside might be 57 or higher and then landlord is allowed to have no heat until it is under 55. (It is 54 this evening.)

Hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Happy Halloween!
We are having rotten luck with Ginger and allergies this year. We just got back from the vet with her reacting to an insect bite of some sort. She got a steroid shot today and has to take prednisone and Benadryl for three days. This is more stress than I need. I have no idea what she got in to or where.
Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Good afternoon. We received our first snow of the season this morning. Mostly just flurries in the air and nothing on the ground. Nevertheless, MIL is very happy she left for Florida yesterday. She also got her booster shot this morning!

Sorry about Ginger, Andra, I'm sure she will recover quickly and mama's stress level can go back down.

Equipment is to start coming in today to repair the bridge that is part of our driveway and bring it back up to code. I about had a heart attack when we got the estimate for the work, but it isn't something we can avoid having done. Access while work is being done will be across our yard to the highway access for farm equipment in our neighbor's field - that should be fun...

Everyone stay safe and be well.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Good morning! Walked into my grocery store Sunday morning and there was no line for COVID shots, so I walked in and got mine. Not a very good day yesterday, though. Lots of pain in my arm and just felt crappy. Better than the alternative though!

No snow at our house yet, but thankfully we've had a bunch of rain. We'll take more.

Hope you're well and safe!

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
It was colder today (high of 52, I think). We just got heat in our building. I sent a text to the super at 8am when it was 50 degrees (it was 46 earlier). Still no heat until some time after 5 while I was out. I sent an email to the building management in the afternoon and they replied that there was heat and they would have the super look at my apartment. He didn't do that and he didn't need to. They just needed to set the boiler to have more pressure or give more heat. It will be colder over night and on Wednesday.

I've been looking for the booster online. The drug stores are a big fail, but Mount Sinai West (hospital) has Pfizer appointments. I wanted Moderna but will mix/match if necessary. I stopped in at CVS after I took care of ordering new eyeglasses near Rockefeller Center. It was 7pm and they said I could only get it as a walk-in earlier in the day. They said Walgreens/Duane Reade across the street has Moderna (CVS didn't), so I went there but the pharmacy had closed at 6pm. When I checked Walgreens online a few days ago, they only had appointments in other parts of Manhattan. Not sure why this has to be a big search.

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

We're having our second morning below freezing, but it won't be that cold again for at least the next 10 days.

This week has been a mess with the sewer issue. Rain kept the work from starting as originally scheduled on Wednesday and equipment issues then delayed the work until yesterday. It appears, however, that the problem is not with our line. The plumbers yesterday found no breakage where tree roots could have entered our line so now the city has to have their line videoed to see if they have a problem. As of last night, our line seems to be draining fine, but I still listen intently when the washer drains. We still have a big hole in the right of way so they'll be here Monday to fill that in. We've spent a lot of money but sure don't feel like the problem has been eradicated. All we can do now is see what the city finds.

Hopefully, I can get a couple of loads of laundry done today. Otherwise, not sure what we'll get up to.

Hope your weekend goes well. Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I got my Moderna booster this afternoon. The two people ahead of me were 11-year old girls. I was the last one of the day (scheduled for 3:30pm). There was a delay for some reason between the first and second girl. At 4pm they gave us forms to fill out. Oh well, it's done. I took a short walk afterwards into Central Park. There were flags from many countries for the marathon tomorrow.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
Just popping in to say hello. I have been busy with many projects and especially around the property. Now that I am 77 I find that it takes me longer to perform physical labor (such as replacing rotting outdoor stairs). And with Covid I have had very little interest in having someone come and do these things. So I must do them myself. Anyway, glad to see so many of you are still here.

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good to hear from you, Geoff and to hear how you are doing. We definitely understand the part about it taking longer to get things done, physically.

Good morning.

Still waiting for the plumbers to come finish the work they started Friday. No telling how long it will be before the city checks out the main line. Everything worked fine over the weekend. Guess I'll be apprehensive for a while longer, if not forever. Since we had our entire sewer line replaced a few years ago, we never really expected to have sewer problems like this again.

I have to make a produce run today. That supply hasn't been this depleted since we got home from vacation.

Hope your week goes well. Stay safe.

35081 - 35100 of 35117 Posts