Kindle Forum banner
35101 - 35117 of 35117 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Hello, and especially to Geoff! Good to "see" you".

Storm coming in later this afternoon with wind and snow. We'll see. Not much else happening here. I did finish Cloud Cuckoo Land and must say I didn't care much for it. So it's off to the next book!

Stay safe, well and warm!

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Geoff, it was good to see you pop in here.

On Sunday, the heat went off in the afternoon and has stayed off since then. However, the temp went up to 64 Monday afternoon, so we would not have heat when it is over 55 anyway. But Sunday it was 50-54 and it was 48 overnight, so it is quite cold inside, about 66 F.

My arm was very sore on Sunday and I couldn't lift my arm (where I got the shot), but I've been much better today and did my 1 mile swim late in the afternoon. Had to get out of the apartment to get warm outside.

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

Continuing to enjoy dry, fall weather. The trees are finally presenting a lovely picture. Of course, what comes next is not quite as enjoyable.

The plumbing company fixed the pipe they broke and filled in the hole they dug on Tuesday. Now, if the city will just follow through with checking the main line I'll feel a little more confident that we won't have more issues.

Nothing on our agenda the next couple of weeks except haircuts. Nice to not have a schedule.

Hope this week is a good one. Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Good morning everybody. It is a nippy 54 here in Austin this morning. I had to pull out a light jacket when Ginger and I went walking at 6:30.
We spent November 5-14 down on Mustang Island (the beach)! It was a wonderful vacation. The weather was beautiful. We walked on the beach 3-4 times a day and I even got in the water a few times when my niece was with us (sidenote - she turned 16 last week - unbelievable!) Ginger is still not a fan of the waves, but by the last few days she was walking right along the edge of the water. I also remembered how to sit on the balcony where I could hear the ocean and do nothing. That's a lot harder to do at home, but I'm trying.
Glad that most of you check in occasionally. I did check when we were gone, I just didn't want to mention being out of town so I didn't post.
I have an appointment for my covid booster next Tuesday. I decided to get the Moderna as a boost to the J&J. We'll see how that goes. My mom got a J&J booster yesterday and she says no side effects so far.
Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. I saw that my previous post was over 3 weeks ago. 😲 Time flies!

I was dog sitting at my daughter's house for a week around Halloween while she was away.
Furniture Property Decoration Light Chair

My daughter decorated her yard in the spirit of the Disneyland Haunted Mansion ride. My granddaughter got home from school/work and, dressed as a Matrix character, kept me company while I kept the table full with bagged candy separated to reduce contact so that the kids only needed to touch one bag.
Hair Forehead Glasses Head Outerwear

I made a mask to wear with my costume. It has a nonwoven filter layer, as do all of my homemade masks.
Sky Photograph White Azure Door

This photo, a few days before Halloween and before the ghost bride had her ax, shows me in my costume as a Cast Member with a badge identifying me as Foolish Mortal.

Sky Vehicle Tire Asphalt Car

I did the 5K race in Everyone Runs/Everyone Walks Veterans Day Half Marathon and 5K event. This photo is shortly before the start of the half marathon. I finished penultimate in the 5K.

I drove from that race in Tucson directly to my daughter's house as she had left that morning for the Grand Canyon with a friend from her running group. The two of them had been training for a rim to river to rim hike of the canyon in addition to training for other races. The next morning, after spending the night at a hotel at the south rim, they took the first tram to the South Kaibab trailhead for a pre-dawn start. They went down to the river, crossed the two bridges on the trail to the bottom of the Bright Angel trail and came up that trail. They reached the top after sunset. My daughter said that it was much harder than a full marathon and the last mile and a half felt like it took forever. Their hotel was near the Bright Angel trailhead so they didn't need to go far. She is glad that she did the hike but said that she won't do it that way again. Next time she would rather go down one day, spend the afternoon and night at the bottom, and then come up either the next day or the day after. (This is the park recommendation. It is not recommended to do both the same day. However, on the way up, my daughter and hiking companion met a group that was on their last leg of a rim-to-rim-to-rim hike going for a 24 hour goal. 😲)

Property Window Ladder Wood Floor

Yesterday I finished the second primer coat on the drywall of our backyard studio. This morning I will do two coats of the ceiling paint. DH is driving up to install the ceiling fan and canless lights this afternoon. Meanwhile I will go buy the wall paint. We should be moved by the end of the year. My goal is before Christmas.

Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Good morning! DH and I have our boosters as of last Friday. Triple Moderna for both of us. We both had minor sore arms (DH finally got his flu shot at the same time) and felt run down until Sunday night but not "sick". Our adult children and spouses all have their boosters as of yesterday and the 8 and 11-year old grandkids have their first shots as well. I am thankful.

We are heading out tomorrow to drive the few hours to DD and spouse for Thanksgiving and will return by Friday evening so we can spend the weekend on Xmas decorating at home. Last year was somewhat depressing being limited to a Zoom Christmas. With everyone vaccinated and boosted, I am VERY excited about having them all here for a family holiday. YAY!!

Stay safe, be well, and have HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good morning from southern Arizona. I drove home from my daughter's house yesterday morning. She phoned me later that day to say that the AC company had finished the installation of the split unit AC and that she turned it off as it was freezing. It should be great in the summer. The people redoing the irrigation system after we removed major sections for the slab for the backyard studio had started their work and the irrigation plumbing added for my raised beds for my future vegetable garden looks great. DH didn't come up to put in the ceiling fan and ceiling lights so my daughter did it. The ceiling fan and its light work great but the canless lights didn't. The electrical contractor is coming back on the first of December to check out that switch and circuit.

Today we are paying bills and doing laundry. Tomorrow we will each drive our vehicles, loaded with more boxes and totes for the storage unit, back to our daughter's house to celebrate Thanksgiving with her. We will start Thursday morning with a 5K Turkey Trot race. My daughter has reserved/bought a cooked turkey breast with basic trimmings. She and I will make our favorite family side dishes and desserts. Our oldest granddaughter will spend the holiday at her other grandmother's house. My youngest granddaughter will be in quarantine at NAU for a few days longer. She was a couple weeks away from being eligible for her booster shot when her roommate got a breakthrough case of COVID-19. My granddaughter tested negative but had cold/allergy symptoms so she stayed in isolation. 5 days later she tested positive and went into quarantine. She feels like her symptoms are not much worse than a bad cold except for losing her sense of smell. We are glad that NAU set up a quarantine dorm wing early and set up well defined guidelines and procedures. Unfortunately the classes no longer have a Zoom option but some professors are posting videos. She will have make-up tests and work to do.

Hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe and as healthy as possible. Be excellent to each other and also to yourself.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
At 3:30 AM it is the coldest it has been so far this season at 32 degrees F. I wore my down coat Tuesday and it helped protect against the 10th Avenue wind.

Hope everyone has a great THANKSGIVING!

Reactions: Annalog

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving.

We'll have a quiet day. I have a ham to fix, the pies and rolls were made yesterday, and I used a sweet potato recipe that could also be made ahead of time so not much stress involved in fixing our meal.

Enjoy your day. Hope some family time is involved, even if it is long distance again.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Good morning.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Ginger and I are getting ready for our walk. DH is still sleeping. The booster hit him harder than me. I am just a little tired and achy. He has been taking tylenol every four hours to ward off the fever and chills. We are supposed to drive to my Mom's today, but I just want to stay home. We'll see how it goes.
Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Hello and hope you all had a happy turkey day! We still have no snow. Typically, our ski resort is open by now but it's going to be in the 60's the next few days. Very weird.

Take good care!

·
Registered
22,164 Posts
Good morning.

We have a dense fog advisory in effect this morning. It doesn't look all that bad out there, to me.

Our highs have been in the 70s this week, but will be slightly cooler next week.

We had the yard pretty well cleared of leaves for a few days last week. Time to get out there again today, though. We have to do them in stages anymore; the task is too daunting physically to wait until they all fall.

Monthly trip to Kroger yesterday. Wow, I haven't spent that much in one trip ever. There were price increases on multiple products, as expected. We also stocked up on a few non-grocery items. Prices were such that we didn't think the savings would be enough to make another stop worthwhile.

Hope everyone is doing well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Happy Friday!
We have been enjoying cooler mornings and temps in the 70s during the days. It makes my attempt to go for longer walks with Ginger twice a day more enjoyable. I'm not sure how I will keep up in the summer, but I have time to worry about that later.
Not much new going on, but the year is definitely running out quickly. It was just the beginning of November - how can it already be December?
We did go see family over Thanksgiving, but it was a shorter trip than usual. We left Thursday and it was late afternoon when we got there. We had lunch for my family on Friday and then went to my MIL's for lunch on Saturday before heading home early Sunday.
TSO is going to be in Austin on the 9th and San Antonio on the 10th. I really want to see them live again, but I don't want to be around that many people. There are still nose-bleed seats available in Austin that have empty seats around them, but I have spent too long being too cautious. I don't want to do something stupid. I wish they could figure out how to stream at least one of their full live shows. The streamed show last year was nice, but I missed seeing all the folks who usually play on our tour (we get TSO West).
Take care. Stay safe.

35101 - 35117 of 35117 Posts