Kindle Forum banner
35121 - 35140 of 35152 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
My Acer laptop died last week. It turns on and connects to my echo speaker but doesn't make it to the login page. After lots of thought (and a visit to an Apple store last Friday), I bought a Macbook Air at B&H today. I ordered and paid online and picked it up at the store. I have been using it all evening.

I still have to buy a USB/data card slot adapter. B&H didn't have the one that Apple has that has both plus other USB-C ports. The Macbook Air only has two ports and they are both USB-C. My external drive has the USB-A connection. I discussed the ports and the short power cord with someone at Apple. I also bought an Apple magic mouse 2 that pairs with the Mac when you plug in its USB-1, which is not on the Mac. Crazy. I did learn some options for the touch but I still want to use a mouse.

Hope you are all well.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Wow, sounds like a learning curve to me! Something new and fun to play with!

All is well here in central Oregon. We have about a foot of much needed snow on the ground and a pretty blue sky today. Looks like a White Christmas!

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
sorry, but i never can think of a foot of snow as much needed after spending 3 winter in the lake effect snow region of NY! snow was something pretty, but i hated having to move it or move in it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
When you're in a severe drought, you'll take anything! We usually get about 4' each winter. Now it's raining on and off so it's turning to slush. Ugh.

Hope everyone is safe and warm out there!

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
ah, didn't realize you were in a drought. as long as the stuff falls where it does some good, i'm all for it. but snow in NYC (or in my small upstate town) does not help with a drought situation.
omicron seems to be playing havoc with the broadway community and the last couple of times i went out i was sniffling and congested the days after, so i'm going back into hibernation mode.
i want good deli pastrami, but i don't want to get on the subway.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The whole west coast is basically Drought City, so everything helps.

I met a friend for lunch today and was surprised at how many people walked into the restaurant with no mask (and it's required). I think people are sick of it all (as am I), but goodness we all need to pay attention.

Everyone stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Good morning.

Made our last pre-Christmas trip to the grocery yesterday. Even busier than I expected, but they did have more manned checkout lines available than usual. Way too many people were mask-less, however. There were a few empty spaces on the shelves, but the only thing I couldn't get was my choice of vegetable dip. Guess it will be home made this year as I do have all the ingredients. I did hear stockers tell one customer that they hadn't seen shredded coconut available for quite some time.

We're as ready for Christmas as we'll ever be. Of course, that isn't really hard to do when it is just the two of us. No major plans other than a slightly more elaborate meal than most days.

Take care. Stay safe.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
Good Morning all. I hope you are all well and staying covid-free.
We are getting ready for Christmas. This week is cookie baking week. We make large batches so that we can give our children take-away packages. Jane does her specialties of biscotti and coconut squares, etc. I bake oatmeal and dark choc chip cookies and also ginger bread cookies.
Been busy doing minor construction work around the property. Had to replace some outside stairs that go from the carport to the back yard. The risers have to be attached to the retaining walls.
Have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Good morning. We started today in the 50s and will be in the 70s this afternoon. Yesterday we started at 37 so this is really strange for us.
Ginger had her teeth cleaned on Monday. I think she has forgiven me for dropping her off at the vet because she is being very demanding today. I am still working, but I am pretty sure I am not getting much accomplished.
We waited until the last minute to do Christmas shopping, so most folks on our list will be getting gift cards. My holiday baking has moved from December to January - I seem to have more time then. But I have also pared down my list to shortbread, some chocolate and peanut butter things, and some cashew things - all bar cookies :) I typically do at least one batch of snack mix before Christmas, but DH is watching carbs so I decided to skip this year.
We are still being careful around other people even though we have both been vaccinated and boosted. It has just gotten to be a normal thing to wear a mask. And last year I did not get flu or a sinus infection - pretty sure the mask helped with that.
I'm glad to hear from so many of you this time of year. Happy holidays. Stay safe.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Good morning. So good to hear from Geoff - do you still have my address somewhere, my box of cookies has not yet arrived ... 🤭

Today is our Christmas Eve. Daughter and spouse will be in this evening, son and spouse are bringing the grandkids some time this afternoon to spend the night and will stay for a bit before returning Friday morning. MIL is home from Florida until Saturday morning and my sister and her spouse will arrive in the morning with my mother. It will be the first time everyone will be together since Christmas 2019. We are all vaccinated and boosted. I've done a fair amount of baking, cooking, and cleaning over the last week, but I didn't get as carried away as some years.

Telracs and I had a message from Claw this morning and he lost his mother yesterday. I'm sure he would appreciate hearing from some of the "old-timers" who know him from all of our years on KB.

I wish everyone the richest of blessings. Be safe. Be well.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Good morning from central Arizona. It is currently 55°F and headed to a predicted high of 73°F.

We have been busy since my last post after Thanksgiving. Monday, 20 December, I finished the last of the work needed, caulking and touch up paint on the baseboards, on the backyard studio prior to moving our cats in. I drove to our home in Benson, arriving after sunset. DH had been working on move prep activities there while I had been working in Gilbert. Tuesday morning we ate breakfast, filled out the paperwork for change of address and mail delivery hold, paid the bills, packed the car with necessities for us and the cats, put the cats in their carriers in the car, turned in the paperwork at the post office, mailed the bill payments, and drove the 3+ hours to our daughter's house in Gilbert. It is now a three generation household. ❤💕

25 and a half years ago, on summer solstice, we moved in to our house in Benson followed by a few weeks moving the rest of our stuff. We promised ourselves that we would not move again during a hot Arizona summer. Two days ago, on the winter solstice, we kept that promise. We had planned to move sometime this winter but hadn't expected it to be on the solstice. :D ❤ Once again, we will be moving the rest of our stuff over the next few weeks. Unlike last time where our old house sold a month before we could move in to the new one, this time we will be getting our old house ready to sell after we have moved. The next month will be as busy as the past several months have been!

We will be celebrating Christmas with our daughter, granddaughters, and a niece who would otherwise be alone for the holiday. We are all fully vaccinated with those eligible for boosters boosted.

The cats are settling in to their new home. They are a bit concerned about Roxie, the dachshund, who comes to the door to see if they want to play. (The door is mostly glass.) Kawaii, my oldest granddaughter's cat, and Mochi, my youngest granddaughter's cat, have also come to the door to try to meet the new occupants. Our cats, Dusty and Sylvester, are currently not at all happy about the prospect of sharing their life or home with these strange creatures. Fortunately, we can easily see where the animals are on the other side of the door before opening it! ;)

Stay safe and healthy. I wish everyone the best possible holidays and a wonderful new year.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
Good Morning all.
It was 23 when I let the dog out this morning.
We will finish baking today.....getting ready for the big meal on Saturday.
One of our twins lives locally here and he and his wife have our two grand daughters. They had a covid scare when working on the wreaths across America effort at Arlington Natl Cemetery. The other granddad is buried there. Fortuneately they tested negative so we are ok to socialize on Saturday. I always cook for Christmas - Jane deserves a break from the big meals. But she still helps me some.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Good morning.

60 degrees this morning. A record high of 76 is expected for Christmas Day. 44 years ago I remember going to the store on Christmas Eve in my shirtsleeves which was unheard of where I came from in Kansas. But, Christmas Day dawned cold enough it definitely felt like Christmas weather.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Just wanted to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Reactions: loonlover

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

We are expecting a high of 82 - so it is Christmas in shorts for us.
From my family to yours - have a safe and winderful holiday.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Good morning.
Another day, week, month, year like last except for the month or two when Illinois was briefly freed from masks indoors.
First day without Betty White who did not age.
SNOW and COLD forecasted for this weekend in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
We had a rainy January 1st. Warm for this time of year at 55-54 F. degrees. I was inside all day Saturday and only went out for a little walk Sunday evening. It was raining hard.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
A dusting of snow has fallen this morning. No more than an inch is in the forecast and I'm not sure there will be that much. It is currently 29 degrees with an expected high of 34. Been awhile since we stayed that cold all day.

Have a good one. Stay safe.

35121 - 35140 of 35152 Posts