Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this topic should be as verboten to discuss in public as sex, religion, and politics due to the potentially extremely volatile nature of the discussion, but I'm really curious. :)

The argument started a few weeks ago as the weather improved. The cheapo gas grill that we've nursed along for the last couple of years needs too many parts to make yet another repair worthwhile. Having lived with the supreme convenience of gas since I first moved out on my own, to me this was a no brainer--buy another gas grill.

To my husband, this was also a no brainer--"Charcoal is the only way to go."

The subsequent sniping, cajoling, and outright attempted bribery on both sides lasted a month, until last night a compromise of sorts was reached. Exasperated at not being able to enjoy cooking outdoors in the only decent weather we may see all year, I bought one of each.

Weber One Touch Silver 18.5" Weber Q-100 Portable Gas Grill

Reasoning: DH does most grilling, while I handle all the marinating and all stove/oven dishes. If he's going to handle the cooking, then I might as well let him use what he wants. And hopefully I won't have to hear the moaning & groaning about how charcoal grilled food "just tastes better".

However....

I know full well that half the time, I'm going to hear something along the lines of, "I don't feel like waiting an hour to start cooking." LOL And there are days during the week when I start dinner before he gets home; frankly, I'm not dealing with charcoal, EVER. Why bother when I can light the gas and start cooking in about five minutes? Who needs all that mess or the wait? The gas grill I chose is compact enough to put away in one of the deck storage cabinets, and portable enough to just pull it out only when it's needed. I'm all about convenience in this case.

So how do you handle this in your house? What's your personal preference and why? Favorite grill brands? Tips & tricks?

For the record--

• I went with Webers this time because of their exceptional reputation for quality. I was astounded to read the reviews for the Q series grills especially; I'm so used to have to replace out a grill every few years, and there are people who've used these or other Webers for 10 years before having to replace them! Picked up the charcoal kettle today & put it together in about 10 minutes...now I'm off to go marinate some chicken. :D
  • My mother in law is very pro charcoal--which blew my theory that women prefer the convenience of gas over the mess of charcoal. But the area she lives in limits charcoal use some days, and after a lifetime of Weber kettle grills, she finally got her first gas grill a few years ago. Now even she's not sure she would go back!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Weber is the only acceptable grill, whether charcoal or gas.  :D  Ours happens to be gas.  (It is way less messy.)

I'm only half funnin' about this; our friends have a Char Broil (gas) that they got to replace the Char Broil that stopped working after 2 seasons and it's still not right.  Our Weber is going on 14 years and all we've had to do is replace the bars and grates.  It lives outside -- and we use it -- year round and about half the time my husband forgets to put the cover back on so it's been in lots of weather.  The sparking starter even still works.  My dad's is a similar model and is even older.  He got his to replace his Weber charcoal weber that rusted through after 20 years or so.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It depends on what is being cooked.

I can not do hot dogs on a charcoal grill

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
If "being green" is important to you, the propane gas grill would appear to be the best choice among gas, charcoal, or electric grills:
..."While more grills are fueled with liquefied petroleum gas, the majority of carbon dioxide emissions are from grills using charcoal briquettes, because the amount of carbon per Btu of gas is about one-third that of charcoal," West said.

Although electric grills emit no on-site carbon dioxide, West said they have the highest emissions per hour of all the grills when accounting for fossil fuel emissions from producing and transmitting electricity. A liquefied petroleum gas grill operated for an hour would emit 5.6 pounds of carbon dioxide while a charcoal grill would emit about 11 pounds. An electric grill would account for about 15 pounds of carbon dioxide.

West's calculations were based on the common charcoal typically sold at grocery and convenience stores, as opposed to charcoal that is made solely from wood. Common charcoal has a heating value of 9,700 Btu per pound while solid wood charcoal has a heating value of about 13,000 Btu per pound....
From: http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/get_press_release.cfm?ReleaseNumber=mr20030703-00

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The only thing I use charcoals for is cooking with my dutch oven.

This is my setup for patio grilling/camping:

Got one of these griddles to go on it too. I can cook up a heck a breakfast for a pile of people out camping:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I say the one that does most of the grilling should have what they want.  But you've seemed to solve both issues with both grills.  I have a large gas grill and a small one.  The small one can be a pain sometimes.  It's more difficult to grill on (for me anyway)  I think it gets too hot too fast and those smaller gas tanks don't last very long.  That's my only issue with the small one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When we built our house we had a gas line put in the back of the house for a grill.  It has worked out great because we never run out of gas!  It was a little tricky finding a grill that worked with natural gas, but we did - don't know the brand, but it's a good one.  It has a hot plate, work station and one shelf.

Everytime we go to someone else's  house and they are out of gas we just look at each other and are grateful we thought of getting the gas line put in.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
For consistency, Gas/Propane.  8)
For flavor, Charcoal!!!  8)

My Pick =  :-\  :-\  :-\

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't do the grilling so I am not even sure what type of grill we have out there....thats a little sad. I should go out back and check it out just for my own curiosity now.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
More and more of my friends have piped-in natural gas grills. I have a propane grill - can't beat it for convenience.

But I do love the smell of briquettes.

Amazon's best-selling grill is this propane one:

The next-most popular one is this charcoal grill. Pretty retro, isn't it? I had one of these in college.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For his B-day this year Hubby got a Char-Griller Duo model # 5050. (couldn't find it on amazon to make link.) Got it at Lowe's, affordable. It is both, carcoal, and gas. so depending on the day and time restraints we can do both. Also got him the smoke box attachment, so the hunter can smoke fish, and other game. It is great for versatility. (wish I knew how to get picture to show you)

[added link - Admin]

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Harvey said:
More and more of my friends have piped-in natural gas grills. I have a propane grill - can't beat it for convenience.

The next-most popular one is this charcoal grill. Pretty retro, isn't it? I had one of these in college.

We have the piped-in natural gas, but we also have one of those retro-dudes too!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harvey said:

I have to laugh, because the two we bought are the smaller siblings of these two. :D Guess I made some good choices!

I **might** someday upgrade to the larger propane Q-320, but realistically, it's just the two of us 99% of the time, and when there's more than that, it's usually only one other couple. So for now at least, it didn't make as much sense to go with a larger grill. The only disadvantage for us to what we bought is that it's tough to cook with indirect heat on the smaller sized, one burner model.

And my MOTHER had one of the "retro" models when I was a kid....I don't even want to think of how many years ago that was. LOL

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Come to think of it, I'm not sure that mine had wheels. I guess that innovation got introduced after the 80s. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I think they always had wheels, Harvey, you were supposed to pull the grill around and orient it to the prevailing breeze for best cooking.  My folks had one of the very first ones and it had wheels.

Of course, it's possible the wheels came off. . . . . . :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It depends -- I use both.
Gas for grilling and charcoal/wood for smoking.
I use a gas grill for everyday grilling I use gas.
My smoker is a horizontal smoker with a separate firebox.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts