1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
525 Posts
Popped Starship up there. Hey, can't hurt, right? ;)

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quiss said:
Interesting.
I'm a bit puzzled why he, in several places, refers to sci-fi as "weird".
Me, too. He describes "science fiction" as "science fiction, fantasy, and horror", of which it is most certainly not. :)

I always wonder about what ppl mean when they say "speculative". I don't consider myself a speculative writer as I equate speculative with "weird". Weird is ok with me, but I don't think I write it. I think some ppl think of it as anything that isn't mainstream, though. Confusing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Technically, he's right, Scott. Speculative fiction definitely includes all science fiction AND fantasy. It's also generally used to describe stories from other genres which include elements of those genres (so supernatural horror or a romance on a spaceship would probably be spec fic).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I bit.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I posted mine. Right now it's free in the UK and it's listed under:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,507 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#63 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Horror

So I figure it can't hurt. I did post a warning that is for "young" age 12 -16 year-old -girls. I get really sick of the complaints that there is no sex in it or adult level relationships. Why is it adults want to sexualize children? (Rhetorical. ) Do they forget it's illegal to have sex with kids? (Rhetorical again.)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I added Sounds of Soldiers and then it had its first sale in a month or two the same day.  It's unlikely these things aren't connected.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Quiss said:
Interesting.
I'm a bit puzzled why he, in several places, refers to sci-fi as "weird".
Damien Walter is referring to "weird fiction", a sort of movement/subgenre within the wider field of SF, fantasy and horror. Here is a website about weird fiction, which should have more info and maybe even a definition (somewhere).

I've been following Damien Walter's columns in the Guardian for a while and also used to read his blog. His tastes run to the more literary type of speculative fiction or at least they used to.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like Damien is giving some updates on Twitter. Might be worth a look.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23SciFiHunt&src=hash

Damien Walter ‏@damiengwalter
So far the general quality of both writing and cover design is notably higher than last year. #SciFiHunt Indie writers raising their game?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts