Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so Meyer's Twilight series has a long discussion with various ideas about her writing style. It seems that most agree that her work is mediocre at best.

What about The Host? Has anyone read it? Is it better?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read The Host when it first came out (one of the three people who had not read any of the TWILIGHT books) and for a non-sci-fi fan like myself, I found it to be an engaging and enjoyable read. The story was compelling, the plotting intense (it's a long book, but I never felt like I was plodding through it). Most of all, I thought Meyer did a good job creating characters one could care about...and that's the bottom line for what really kept me turning the pages. If you like your sci-fi on the light side, this is a pretty good book...not brilliant, but pretty good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm with Rick on this, I thought is was engaging.  I thought it was an interesting concept.  I was a little slow in a few parts, Meyer's writing style is very simple so even the slow parts are easy to get though.  As Rick put it, not brilliant, but good.

Gisele

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll chime in and agree with Anniehow and Rick. I really enjoyed The Host much more than the Twilight series. Like Twilight, it is a fast read (once you plod through the first 100 pages, which are the slowest part unfortunately, but important to the story). Unlike Twilight, it's much more original, and quite a tearjerker at spots. The main heroine has that same "oh-I'm-not-good-enough-for-anyone-everything's-my-fault" complex that makes Bella in Twilight a bit annoying, but not anywhere to the same degree. I really enjoyed it.

Nemo

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mnemosyne said:
I'll chime in and agree with Anniehow and Rick. I really enjoyed The Host much more than the Twilight series. Like Twilight, it is a fast read (once you plod through the first 100 pages, which are the slowest part unfortunately, but important to the story). Unlike Twilight, it's much more original, and quite a tearjerker at spots. The main heroine has that same "oh-I'm-not-good-enough-for-anyone-everything's-my-fault" complex that makes Bella in Twilight a bit annoying, but not anywhere to the same degree. I really enjoyed it.

Nemo
But at least she has a reason to feel this way. The world is invaded by aliens! What is Bella upset about..teenage angst!

G

·
If I may...

Here are a couple of fantastic vampire books that aren't part of a series and will give you nightmares:

This one's newly available on Kindle and my #2 vampire book:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mnemosyne said:

Nemo
I could not agree more about the first 100 pages, but after that it was very engaging and a good read.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
marianner said:
I liked The Host very much. Definitely better than Twilight.
Have not read this particular one yet. :-\

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
If I may...

Here are a couple of fantastic vampire books that aren't part of a series and will give you nightmares:

This one's newly available on Kindle and my #2 vampire book:

I've got Fevre Dream downloaded and waiting, Jim, per your other posts on the book. Got to get through the Outlander series first!

Nemo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts