Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: The books of the In Her Name series are on sale through the end of March! Prices should be in effect as of the 15th. Enjoy

Welcome to my author thread!

This is where I have all my books listed with some information about them (and me). I'll post periodic updates here (although they'll likely be a bit out of date - check the end of the thread for the latest!), and please feel free to post on this thread if you'd like to chat about my books or anything else that takes your fancy! ;D

About my books

My "flagship line" is the In Her Name trilogy. While it's generally considered science fiction/fantasy, it also blends in elements of military science fiction, political thriller, and romance. That may seem unusual, and it is, but even readers who don't generally care for sci-fi/fantasy books have really enjoyed it - please feel free to take a look at the reader reviews and see what you think. I'm currently working on a prequel (First Contact) that I hope to have out by late summer 2009.

The other book I've published is on how to publish your book on the Amazon Kindle!

While I list only the Kindle editions here, all of my books are also available in print, and the first few chapters are available on my web site.

Title: In Her Name (Omnibus Edition)

Description: If you're looking for a book that you won't want to put down and won't want to end, you might want to check this one out! It's an epic coming-of-age hero saga of Reza Gard, a young human caught up in the century-long galactic war between the Human Confederation and the alien Kreelan Empire. It has science fiction, fantasy (without magic), elements of a political thriller, and romance to tie it all together. For a full description, here's the Amazon page. This book was also a selection for a Kindleboards Book Klub!

Rating: 5 stars on Amazon (33 reviews at last count), plus independent book reviews by The Book Smugglers, BookLoons.com, PODBRAM, Fantasy Book Critic, and GenreReviews.

Notes: This is the omnibus edition of the In Her Name trilogy that contains all three of the standalone novels - Empire, Confederation, and Final Battle - in one volume. There is also additional information in the original standalone KB thread

Title: In Her Name: Empire

Description: Empire is Book One of the original In Her Name trilogy, and follows Reza Gard's capture by the Kreelan Empire and the development of his relationship with a young alien warrior, Esah-Zhurah. For more details, scope out the Amazon page!

Rating: Five stars on Amazon (3 reader reviews), but it's exactly the same text as the first book contained in the omnibus edition, so feel free to check out those, too!

Title: In Her Name: Confederation

Description: This is Book Two of the original In Her Name trilogy, and takes up with Reza Gard returning to the Human Confederation after being exiled from the Empire. This book isn't yet available, but you can read more details here.

Title: In Her Name: Final Battle

Description: This is Book Three of the original In Her Name trilogy, and covers the climactic end of the story of Reza Gard and the war between the Humans and the Kreelan Empire! This book isn't yet available, but you can read more details here.

Title: In Her Name: First Contact

Description: This is an all-new book that I'm currently working on. Set a century before the events of the original trilogy, First Contact tells of the first encounter between humans and the Kreelan Empire and the beginning of the war. This book isn't yet available, but you can read more details here. There is more information on the original Kindleboards thread.

Title: Publish Your Book On The Amazon Kindle: A Practical Guide

Description: I wrote this book specifically for folks who don't have a lot of - or any - technical background, and who are frustrated with the seemingly mystical process of getting a book published on the Kindle. Chances are you're an author or publisher who doesn't want to deal with a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo and just wants to get the job done so you can get back to writing. This book will take away the mystery and frustration, and give you a clear path to success.

Rating: 5-stars on Amazon (6 reader reviews thus far).

Note: This post was modified from the original to include all of my books - enjoy! M.R. Hicks

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D'oh! I forgot about that - a picture says a thousand words! ;)

And why not a little tidbit from one of the on-line reviews:

"Hicks blends fantasy, science fiction, and romance together to create a story that crosses genres, and will appeal to a wide range of readers...Hicks has created some of the most memorable, likable characters I have read about in a long time. Reza is the quintessential coming-of-age hero, starting as a young, scared boy, and ending up a strong, confident warrior. He is surrounded by strong, powerful women, who each have their own struggles...I highly recommend this novel to lovers of fantasy and science fiction, as well as anyone who enjoys an engrossing, fast-paced novel set in a new and fascinating world."

So check out In Her Name (and help out Kindleboards!)... :D

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

strange, when I clicked on both links bottom links, the book and the http, this is what I got on amazon:

Dragonflight/Quest (Kindle Edition)
by Anne Mccaffrey (Author)

The first post's link brought the book up.

corrected by sailor to add that the first post link worked.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks for the post!

I love that type of book and your reviews are fantastic so I just bought your book through the orginal posting link.

You need to know, though, that the last posting link takes me to here:  Dragonflight/Quest (Kindle Edition)
by Anne Mccaffrey (Author)     :eek:

Sheryl

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
OK, I've read this fantastic book and I can recommend it without reservation!   ;D

After the first couple of chapters I could not put this book down. It is a long read but one you need to add to your library if you are a fan of Science Fiction, SciFi (someone pointed out these are two different genres  ;)) and/or Fantasy. The characters are well developed, the story is fabulous and it made me laugh and cry (just like a good book should) and the ending tied all together and made sense.  All in all a total "thumbs up" read and for a very good price!!

Another great thing about buying this book is it was written by our very own Kreelanwarrior!  I am in total awe of anyone who has the talent to write a book such as this.  Way to go Mike and are there any more in the works?

Sheryl

·
Registered
186 Posts
My wife Jo just finished this book and wanted me to say that she really enjoyed it. Very well written with characters you feel you know after a few pages. She was roped in after the first two pages. I am looking forward to reading it (must get off the Board...must get off the Board....).

Any more fiction in the offing, Mike?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sheryl, Cush -

Thanks, that made my morning! And reviews on Amazon are always welcome! <big cheesy grin!>

I'm really glad you enjoyed the book (well, technically Cush has yet to enjoy it himself - LOL!)! Reader feedback is what really makes the effort of writing worthwhile. In Her Name took four years (part-time) to put together, but it was a lot of fun. I actually didn't plan out the plot or anything; I picked up a story idea I had early in college and dropped in a drawer somewhere, then these characters started popping out of the woodwork and getting into trouble - I never knew what was going to happen!

As for what's next, I'm not really sure - that's something I've been dithering over. A part of me wants to do more in this universe: I've got ideas for three prequels, working their way back in time from the events of In Her Name - the origins of the war between the Empire and the Confederation; Tesh-Dar's life up to the start of the war; and the foundation of the First Empire. The only thing that's holding me back is that I suspect at least the first two would lack a romantic backstory that, I believe, is what gives In Her Name its core strength. They could still be good stories, but I don't think they'd be nearly as powerful. Then again, with the way I write - sort of just dumping myself into a virtual reality environment and frantically writing down what's going on around me - who the heck knows? LOL!

The other story I've been pondering is on a vampire theme, but I think a bit (!) different than the other vampire stories that seem to have flooded the market in the last couple years (nothing against that - I love the vampire theme - it's just interesting how many have appeared!).

But I guess I do have to get off my behind and actually start writing something. I've been so busy trying to get In Her Name done, then putting together a book on how to publish on the Kindle to help folks do that (because Amazon support for Kindle publishing is *horrible*!) that I haven't really made time to work on new stuff. I need to live on a planet that has longer days! Ha!

Okay, that's enough blabbing from me. Again, thanks so much for the feedback, and Chad, I hope you enjoy the sample! :)

Now I need to go make some breakfast - pancakes with chocolate chips and some sausage on the side!

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
...putting together a book on how to publish on the Kindle to help folks do that (because Amazon support for Kindle publishing is *horrible*!) ...
Hurry up! :)

Seriously, your posts on the DTP forum have been very helpful. Thank you. If you need beta readers&#8230;.

Earlier I sent you a PM with a DTP related question.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mike-

Just so you know, "I'm your greatest fan!" OK are you creeped out yet?  :D :D :D

Seriously, Dude, you need to get writing on something else. Don't let that talent lie dormant.

I was remiss in not mentioning the romantic theme in my previous post. It's what drives the book and what is ultimately the most satisfying about the characters. I found this book such an engrossing read. The Universe you created is so rich and real I just wanted to be a part of it.

I think my DH is very glad I have finished it though, I didn't talk to him for a week I was so busy reading at every available opportunity!

Sheryl

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sheryl -

Nah, I'm not creeped out - that's cool! Although, technically, my biggest fan at the moment is Sasha (our male Siberian cat) who's following me around the kitchen, meowing pitifully as he waits for me to get his dinner ready.  ;)

But again, that's really great to hear, particularly that you found yourself so immersed in that world (it is pretty cool, isn't it?). When I had finished the book and first got it published (after the manuscript sat under my desk since the mid-1990s), I had been grappling with the concept of how to define (for myself) if it was successful. Number of sales? If I could somehow convince someone to make a movie (and, personally, I think it'd make a pretty darn good trilogy)? Etc.

But sales are a numbers game driven by marketing and promotion - how many books have we all read that were "pushed" well, but that weren't really all that good - and a movie(s) is only worthwhile if it's done right, like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

In the end I decided that success actually had a very basic measure: reader feedback. If people who read it really enjoy it, then it's a success, regardless of how many or few copies ever sold. And on that score, judging by what folks like you have told me thus far, I feel like the time I invested in writing it was definitely worthwhile. :)

Okay, where's that darn cat...

Thanks!
Mike

1 - 20 of 491 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.