Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
6,036 Posts
Interesting - it's strange to remember just how basic websites and browsers were back then, especially even earlier than this example when you were using a  pre-Windows, MS-DOS only PC.  :eek:

I made my first Amazon purchase in 1998 I think, but I have no recollection of what the site looked like at that time.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Very cool! I was living in the UK in 1995 and I remember my dad back here in the States raving about this site where he could order any book he wanted and they'd deliver it right to the house! :eek: Meanwhile, we barely had email .... I remember our compuserve address was all numbers.

We came back to the States in summer of '96. My earliest purchase from Amazon was October '97 according to Amazon, but I feel like I'd bought stuff before that. BUT, we had a different email address when we first came back and that ISP got bought out later and we ended up with Comcast. So I feel like there were orders under the previous email address that aren't showing on my account now.

I do remember clearly that when you ordered a book they included a bookmark. And for a few years, they sent presents at Christmas -- Amazon commuter drink tumblers -- found a bunch of those clearing out my dad's house after he died. ;) They stopped that after 3 or 4 years, I think. They also sent fridge magnets, some of which are still on our downstairs freezer.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still have an Amazon insulated glass somewhere around here.

For the first few glorious years of ordering paper books via the internet, I did a lot of my buying from B&N. They would include a certificate for $10 off a $25 purchase with each order, so for quite a while I would carefully select purchases so that the total reached just a smidge more than  $25, buy them for $15 with a certificate, then use the next certificate for 40% off another order. Good times....

·
6,036 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
My earliest purchase from Amazon was October '97 according to Amazon, but I feel like I'd bought stuff before that. BUT, we had a different email address when we first came back and that ISP got bought out later and we ended up with Comcast. So I feel like there were orders under the previous email address that aren't showing on my account now.
I didn't think of that - when I checked on Amazon and found my first purchase was 1998, I also thought it should have been earlier. I definitely had a different email address when I was first online, so that could be the explanation. Either way, it feels like I've been an Amazon customer forever.

I do remember how amazing it was to be able to browse books for hours with no sore feet and then to have your purchases delivered right to your door within a day or two. The only problem was, since I could do it all the time, day or night, my book purchases skyrocketed. (I never needed much of an excuse to overrun my book budget!). :eek: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts