Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blundered into a re-airing of the hearings on C-Span and was caught by Senator Kerry's mention of the Kindle. There was a larger issue here, of course: the future of journalism, both print and digital. Indeed, the future of reading, itself.

I had to tune out. But later, I checked the blogs and was surprised at the torrent of emotion--for and against. Clearly, this hearing hit a nerve.

I couldn't help wondering: What do our esteemed members feel about the issues? Many thoughtful observers throw up their hands and say that it is simply too early to trace the outlines of the new reading and reporting realities. New models will emerge. But--today--they are shadowy, at best.

What say you?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Sig, can you give us some links?
I was going to, Gertie. But the vitriol--both ways---was so off-putting that I decided against it. I would prefer that members Google some keywords and pick what they want.

However, if there is a hue and cry, I will search. I will check Kerry's site and see what's there. And if his opening remarks are posted, I'll get the link.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
When I was growing up, my parents wouldn't think of starting or ending their day without reading the newspaper.  My father (age 90) no longer does, but my mother (age 87) still reads the newspaper faithfully, cover to cover every day. 

There was no doubt a lot of boot-shaking in the newspaper industry when such TV news personalities as Huntley and Brinkley, and Walter Cronkite brought the news right into our dining rooms while we ate dinner.

The advent of the Internet should have had the newspapers examining their distribution methods as more and more people became connected.  It sounds like some reporters are making clever use of the Internet by setting up their own websites and blogs and getting their own advertisers. 

So, the DX is another step forward.  Still, the newspapers have a chance to either jump on the bandwagon or die a slow death.  While a large percentage of people are connected to the Internet, and certainly an even larger portion have access to news via TV and radio, only a small percentage have Kindles, and even fewer will invest in the DX, at least not for a long time.

Progress is going to happen, and those that can't keep up will fall by the wayside. 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Progress is going to happen, and those that can't keep up will fall by the wayside.
Just look at the number of buggy whip manufactuers in the yellow pages...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts