Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone notice that Amazon now says the Kindle will last two months without re-charging the battery?

And there's a funny reason for why they made the change. Yesterday Barnes and Noble released a new (touch-screen) version of the Nook - and they claimed it can go two months without a battery re-charge. But it turns out they calculated that based on one half hour of reading usage a day instead of a full hour (which is how everyone else calculates their battery life). So immediately, Amazon started reporting their battery life using the same formula -- adding a detailed explanation in the product description for every Kindle!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20066005-82.html

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very interesting!  I hadn't noticed that Amazon changed its specs, but I was skeptical about whether the new Nook's battery could really have twice the life of the K3 battery!

·
Registered
874 Posts
dpinmd said:
Very interesting! I hadn't noticed that Amazon changed its specs, but I was skeptical about whether the new Nook's battery could really have twice the life of the K3 battery!
Same here, but how can one person possibly read 30 minutes a day? I dunno about other people, but 30 minutes goes by so fast for me. Even when I read before bed, it goes past 2 hours, easy.

Tris

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Tris said:
Same here, but how can one person possibly read 30 minutes a day? I dunno about other people, but 30 minutes goes by so fast for me. Even when I read before bed, it goes past 2 hours, easy.

Tris
My reading varies greatly. But there are lots of days that I only read for 30 minutes or so before sleeping (as I already go to bed late and need to get to sleep as I was usually spending the evening watching tv or sports or movies or playing video games already etc.).

Other days I'll go home and read all evening instead of doing the other stuff.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I average about two hours a day, but the battery charge isn't a problem. When the charge indicator goes below about one-quarter power, I recharge it overnight.

I can't imagine it would be a problem unless someone was away from AC power for more than a few days.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Amazon's write up is pretty clear -- and I think very good for giving a person an idea of what to expect.  They say up to 2 months with wireless off and reading an average of a half hour a day.  Up to one month reading an hour a day.  Up to 10 days with wireless always on.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
RM Prioleau said:
Has anyone ever tried it? Just leave the kindle on and unplugged to see how long it lasts?

And do these 'calculations' include having the Wi-Fi turned on? The Wi-Fi alone will drain the battery life of any device quickly.
The old calculations, based on 1 hour of use a day were:

1 month with wifi off
3 weeks with wifi on on wifi only model
10 days with 3G on on the 3G model

I can say the Wifi model one is about right as I probably average about an hour a day or so and charge every 3 weeks or a little more and I leave the wifi on as I read on other devices and want the contant page synching (easily worth recharging one week sooner).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What really burns up your battery is refreshing the pages. So if you left your Kindle on the same page (and could somehow stop the screensaver from coming on), your battery's charge might actually last for years! The real truth is that your battery life depends on how fast you're reading.  

Or, more specifically, it depends on how fast you're turning the pages.  (Even if you're a slow reader, you could still be turning the pages faster if you've got fewer words on your pages because you've configured your Kindle with a very large font.) If you really want to conserve every bit of battery life, you'd reduce your font size to the smallest level that you could handle.

Or, just you could just remember to charge up your Kindle if its battery gets too low.  :) (It's really not that big of a deal, and most people would never need to go a full two months without a charge anyways...)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I always turn the wifi off when I'm done downloading a book and
find that I need to recharge maybe every week to ten days depending
on how much I read.  I was under the impression the batter was
good for about 8 or 9 hundred page turns.

Which uses less battery charge, turning it off completely then restarting
or just letting it go to sleep by itself?

Does anybody have a solar recharger?  I've thought getting one would
be neat since I wouldn't have to worry about having a place to plug it
into the wall, but expect it'd cost more than I'd want to pay since I do
have a place to plug it in.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
RM Prioleau said:
Has anyone ever tried it? Just leave the kindle on and unplugged to see how long it lasts?

And do these 'calculations' include having the Wi-Fi turned on? The Wi-Fi alone will drain the battery life of any device quickly.
When I first purchased my K3 after a few weeks I did try a test: I used my Kindle a great deal with the wifi on and did not recharge it. It took over 6 weeks to go to the warning message. Since that test though, I recharge around the half way mark which is two-three weeks.

·
6,105 Posts
I have to agree with those that say for most people it's a non-issue anyway. Not many people are going to be away in the wilds and without access to power for prolonged periods of time. I recharge my K3 (Wi-fi + 3G always on) about once a week. It probably doesn't need to be charged that often but it's no inconvenience to me to just leave it on overnight every now and then. My DXG doesn't last as long and I suspect the battery may be faulty, but again, it's easy enough to recharge it overnight every few days. Now if only my iPad and phone would last a week without charging .....  :eek:

·
Registered
802 Posts
They really should just measure it in page turns or something. 1 hr/day x 1 month = 30 hours of use, right? How many pages can I read in an hour? 60, 75? I use a pretty small font but kindle pages are still shorter than most book pages, so maybe 100 pages in an hour? So that is 3000 pages per battery, maybe 3 good doorstopper novels? Seems like that kind of advertizing would mean more to USERS of the device. But then again, if you already bought it, the advertizing is pointless, right :)

I find the big drain on power is if I leave the wireless/3G on in a place that can't get either, like my work. Just like cell phones, the constant attempts to connect suck the battery dead in mere hours. Consequently I rarely connect at all except to download a batch of books.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I leave my wi-fi on. But I seem to still get around 2 weeks before I need a charge. My reading time varies day to day. With the refurb Nook I got, I've had to turn the Wi-fi off because I wasn't even getting 4 days before I needed to recharge.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm curious as to how many page turns my Kindle gets. Anyway here's an update from the linked article:

Update: Jamie Iannone, President of Barnes & Noble Digital Products, made the following statement to CNET late Wednesday afternoon (5/25):

With up to two months on a single charge, the all-new Nook has the longest-battery life in the industry and superior battery performance to Kindle 3. In our side-by-side tests, under the exact same conditions, continuous use of the device resulted in more than two times Kindle's battery life. While reading at one page a minute, the all-new Nook battery lasts for 150 hours where the Kindle battery, using the same page-turn rate, lasts for only 56 hours (both with Wi-Fi off). We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the all-new Nook offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In our side-by-side tests, under the exact same conditions, continuous use of the device resulted in more than two times Kindle's battery life. While reading at one page a minute, the all-new Nook battery lasts for 150 hours where the Kindle battery, using the same page-turn rate, lasts for only 56 hours (both with Wi-Fi off). We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the all-new Nook offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge.
Wow! That's quite an update!

But what's really weird is that Barnes and Noble said nothing about that on Tuesday when they launched their new Nook. They're claiming now that their battery will actually last 2.67 times longer than the Kindle. If it's true, it seems weird that on Tuesday they just kept that information to themselves. On Tuesday they'd said they calculated battery life based on only one half-hour of usage every day. But if the Nook's battery lasts for 150 hours, then isn't that 300 half-hours -- or ten months? (Since all the half-hour days turn into ten 30-day months...)

I know that a Nook (and a Kindle) loses a little battery power when it's not in use - but I'd always thought that was a small amount. But Barnes and Noble is now contacting all the technology blogs with the same update. (ZDNet just posted an identical update....)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/b-n-clarifies-nook-battery-life-stats/12965

What's going on here?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.