Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I refer to reading our Kindle, we say that we are kindleing or however you would spell it.  So I guess Kindle, which is a noun could be become a verb, such as I think I will go kindle for a while, instead of saying I will go read my Kindle.

I suppose it could eventually mean reading any e-book on any device so you might say, I think I will go kindle my Nook for a while?

So have you used the word kindle this way?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
So I guess Kindle, which is a noun could be become a verb
Kindle already was a verb long before the device was created:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kindle

kin·dle1    
[kin-dl]
verb, -dled, -dling.
-verb (used with object)
to start (a fire); cause (a flame, blaze, etc.) to begin burning.
to set fire to or ignite (fuel or any combustible matter).
to excite; stir up or set going; animate; rouse; inflame: He kindled their hopes of victory.

-verb (used without object)
to begin to burn, as combustible matter, a light, fire, or flame.
to become aroused or animated.
to become lighted up, bright, or glowing, as the sky at dawn or the eyes with ardor.
You may be using the verb to refer to a different action than what is defined here but using it as a verb in general is nothing new.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
In addition to "Kindeling" and "Kindelized".....I have seen "Gone Kindle" and "Kindleboarding" used on this forum....Well wouldn't you expect a gaggle of readers and authors to play with words ??

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
I believe Jeff Bezos chose the name "Kindle" because he wanted to light the fire of reading in people.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I heard when they started Amazon, he just went through a list of words in alphabetical order until he came up with one he liked!

I keep waiting for them to release a smaller version of the Kindle called "the Ignite." :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wonder how soon "flip/turn the page" will become "click the page", or something in that vein.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I coined the term "enKindled" quite some time ago to indicate any book that is available for the Kindle. :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have used the term "kindle-ing" for both reading and shopping the Kindle store.  Also, I often say my novels are "kindle-ized."  I have books available for the Nook, as well, but have never referred to them as being "nook-ized."

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
balaspa said:
I have used the term "kindle-ing" for both reading and shopping the Kindle store. Also, I often say my novels are "kindle-ized." I have books available for the Nook, as well, but have never referred to them as being "nook-ized."

Nooky ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, I still just call it reading. I guess it's just assumed in my house if I'm going to read it will be on my kindle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On one hand, it is good for amazon that kindle is a verb.  Verbing your product is the pinnicle for advertisers.  However, kindling and reading still seem to be two different actions to people.  Though the gap is closing. 

·
Registered
904 Posts
After I finished converting a few of my non-mobi ebooks to the friendly Kindle format, I told my lady-wife that the "Kindle-fication process" was complete.  She just looked at me like I was nuts (which is a common occurrence around these parts).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts