Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it just got delivered today (Kindle2) - and i have been reading about this thing for MONTHS....been drooling over it...FINALLY i ordered it....and i gotta say, i know i hav only read about 10 pages on it so far cause i am still playing with it, but this thing is amazing....it has COMPELETLY exceeded my expectations....the screen looks GREAT...i took it out in the sun and read 3-4 pages and had no problems, so i assume that means it doesnt have the sun-fade problem - but will try again tomorrow out in the sunlight for awhile since i will probably spend most of the day reading.

what amazes me the most about the device is that you KNOW Amazon listened to their users...there are so many cool and innovative features....the fact that i can look things up is GREAT - or that i can manage the device, go and buy books (already bought one), have it read to me....i am just completely in love with this device.....and it has only beeen 5 hours....

anyways - time to go play some more with it - i willl probably write up my own little mini review in a day or 2 when i get more used to it...but i cant imagine i will find anything wrong :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know what you mean!! I just got my kindle this week. I took it out of the package, turned it on, and plugged it in, and sat down to play with it.
1. I read some of the owner's manual
2. I couldn't wait any more, and ordered a book I'd been looking at since I first orderd the kindle.
3. I started reading  and couldn't stop
4. took it to work, and dropped it about 1 1/2 feet when taking it out of my bag.
5. ordered a cover for it!!! wish I'd done that the same time I ordered the kindle.
I love it. I seem to be able to read much more on it. I haven't been reading much at all, seems like I fall asleep as soon as I start. With the kindle, I can read more. I can read while strolling around my property, I can read on the exercise bike, I can read in bed.
I need a book light now.
One question- when I go to the kindle store on my kindle, I don't see an option to sort the books from lowest price to highest. So it seems like I never see these free books everyone is talking about.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Welcome fastdogs.  . . . .  The Kindle Store available through the Kindle is not nearly as robust as Amazon on the web.  Personally, I usually browse the website to find books and have them sent to the Kindle.  I don't actually download books from the Kindle itself all that often.

Oh, and check out the accessories forum for info in covers and lights. . . . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok and even COOLER - i just read the updates to this thread on my kindle!

got back on the computer to post this reply, but so cool!

and i have a blackberry....i am very used to using a smaller device to get online....but having it on the kindle is very cool too!

·
Registered
126 Posts
fastdogs said:
I love it. I seem to be able to read much more on it. I haven't been reading much at all, seems like I fall asleep as soon as I start. With the kindle, I can read more. I can read while strolling around my property, I can read on the exercise bike, I can read in bed.
I need a book light now.
I got a Mighty Bright XTraFlex 2. The LEDs never need to be replaced (according to the box), and there are 2 light settings. I usually start out by leaving both lights on, then as I get sleepy, switching down to just one. I got mine at Barnes & Noble for like $12.95 (in case you don't wanna wait to order one).

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
It is nice to hear how happy a K makes someone.  I have had mine about six months and I'm still giddy about it everyday. 

deb

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Kindle! The longer you have one, the more you love it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) - i finally started actually READING on it last night before bed, and this morning, and i gotta say, i REALLY do forget it is electronic, and feel like it is a book....and actually, i dont know if the book i am reading is just unusually short (it is much shorter than my last few) but i feel like i am FLYING through it.

HOWEVER, the 2 gripes i have so far, is that now i want a sleeve for it - looked at 2 different ones, and dont know which to get :p
there is the belkin one, and then this other one that doesnt have zippers or anything so it easily slips inand out....one of those things that i really dont want a CASE cause i will read the kindle without a case on it...but i want to keep it stored safely...especially for travel in a carry on.

other gripe - i WANT the most number of words per page...i am 24, i have good eyes, and i want as much as possible on the page - so i use the smallest font size...BUT, the periods are too small i think....i seem to read lots of things as run-on sentences cause they are TINY litle specks :p  i am still reading on that size and am getting better at reading it, but it still seems just a smidge too small for that one character....the rest of the punctuation and letters and everything are fine for me.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
There are some font hacks for the K2.  I don't know anything about them, but perhaps you can get a small font that will not have that issue.  I think if you type in font hack in the search feature you should find them.
deb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.