Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hasn't cured my TBR pile disease..

Anyone else suffer from this disorder? The need to buy another book even though you have a stack that still needs to be read?

I thought maybe the kindle would cure it but alas it is actually worse. I have 10 pages of unread books on my home screen not including samples. Yet I still buy more books :D

HELP

Well maybe not I am enjoying it too much ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Mine gets worse every day. It is not helped by all the recommendations from KindleBoard members. Added to that, going to look at amazon, and friends saying you've got to read this, and I just get further and further behind. Sigh  Well, as an addiction, at least this one hurts no one  else.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Only ten pages?  I'm up to 26, and I know, compared to some, that's not many.  I'm reading more, therefore, buying and downloading freebies more.  Or that's my justification. 
deb

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
jmeaders said:
Definitely, my dollar spend per book is very low due to the many freebies I have.
I have a spreadsheet where I keep track and I believe I'm at 1.76 per book. That't pretty good.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't have as many books as you have mentioned but I do have plenty of books on there that I have not read yet.  I'm really making an effort to read what I currently have before buying more books.  I don't read more than one book at a time (not counting my magazine subscriptions).  It is difficult not to purchase a book when someone makes a recommendation, but I'm just putting them in my wish list and then will go from there.  I really like the ability to download a sample of the book before purchasing.  I've taken advantage of this benefit.  I downloaded a sample yesterday that actually had 2 chapters of the book.  This gave me a better idea than some of the other samples.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, I keep downloading samples that I have forgotten.  I found three this morning that had completely slipped my mind, somewhere back on page 6.  Along with two books I started reading but forgot to finish.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Does picking up free books count as buying? I just can't say no.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I recieved my K1 on the 3rd, the previous owner left about 20 books on for me.  I am now up to 7 pages of books on the kindle.  I also have about 40 on my wish list or save for later list from recommendations from members of kindleboards.  The best part is I have spent less than $5 so far and I am reading books I never would have read before.  This board opened me up to so many new opportunities.  

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a problem I thought I'd never really face - too many books, and not enough time.  Between the free books from Amazon, the classics from the Gutenberg Project, and the stuff I actually pay for, I've lost track of what I'm reading.  Someday there will be a 12-step program for the Kindle-addicted.

I'd probably never get past step one:

Hi.  My name is Mnementh, and I am addicted to my Kindle.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The problem is that you won't make progress in battling an addiction unless you want to do so. Now go away and leave me with my Kindle and all its books. ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Chobitz -- I just posted something to this effect in the Book Corner, but you said it much better.  I was referring to the Kindle "book maze" and basically stated what you said!  No, I'm not cured!  I have pages of books to read.  When I finish a book, the next question becomes "Which book now?" as if it's a monumental decision. 

Since I was a child, I was always surrounded by many books at one time, often reading several books at one time.  Since I've had the Kindle, I usually stick to one book at a time, unless I'm reading both nonfiction and a novel.  There is no hope for me, either  :eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
chobitz said:
I thought maybe the kindle would cure it but alas it is actually worse. I have 10 pages of unread books on my home screen not including samples. Yet I still buy more books :D
10 pages? I see you only suffer the most mild of cases. I'm adding, on average, just under 2 books per day to my backlog -- I've had my Kindle since April of last year...do the math (just added 6 today, possibly more if the Shadow Unit serial piques my interest). My only saving grace is most of them are free or vastly-reduced in cost -- of course, if they turn out like Way of Shadows (Brent Weeks) I'm gonna get skewered buying the inevitable sequels, trilogies, and run-on book-a-thons.

Sad part is I'm still buying DTBs too...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not cured, but I do find that I don't buy ahead as much with the Kindle. I download the sample if I think I might want it, but I don't download the book until I'm ready to read it. With WN I know I can get it whenever I want so I don't feel so much need to stock up ahead of time.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Sorry Chobitz, I think you'll find most of us are enablers/sympathizers here.  One of the best things about my Kindle, though, is it HAS eliminated my TBR pile (emphasis on pile) - it is so much easier to keep the addiction hidden when it is all on one slim device versus cluttering every corner of my home, car and desk at the office with DTBs!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I currently have 22 pages of books on Kindra. Most of them are free. I also have a lot of samples. I love being able to read a sample before deciding to buy a book. I do that with recommendations. With freebies, I go ahead and download, unless I am sure it is something I would not be interested in. I have definitely broadened my reading. I am addicted to Kindra, but the only help I want is more freebies.  ;D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm in serious trouble here, I'm at 18 pages and growing and that is just on my K2, my K1 has 37 pages and that doesn't count the ones I've read and sent back to Amazon or off loaded to my server.  There are too many free books out there I keep finding and too many samples.  I figure until the Surgeon General issues a warning label on Kindles I'm okay.  Back to my Kindle. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts