Kindle Forum banner

241 - 260 of 742 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Haha. A collective *sigh* at the light discussion from both team 'lighting is perfect" to team "lighting is flawed"

An engineering friend who works with LEDs explained the lighting best to me. "If you put an LED light facing down on one side of a piece of paper, by the time you get to the other side of the paper, the lighting power won't be exactly the same." (try it with a booklight on a book). Add enclosure, add a touch layer, add external lighting effects and you have quite an engineering challenge. The goal for frontlighting is to bridge that gap so our eyes don't see it. For an overwhelming many, the Kindles succeed in this. Amazon has been working tirelessly (in a great way) and pride themselves on every year getting the light better and better and more even. They are not using magic lights, however. They are using 10 finely tuned LED lights made in China. There is a huge difficulty in measuring a broad spectrum of light, which is not always known to the user. LEDs have the distinct advantage, fortunately, of a narrow, known wavelength spectrum which makes it more even than traditional lighting. The decision to move from four LED lights at the bottom of their reader to 10 on the side of the Oasis is surely not simply a design decision. It makes absolute sense because the lights now have much less ground to cover from one side to the other and the results show. The Oasis is the best implementation of LED front lit lighting yet in my opinion. If you look at the complaints from those about the Voyage, all of the complaints are that the lighting is different at the very top which is not coincidentally the furthest point from the four LED lights of the e-reader.

Ann is absolutely correct that there has to be defective units and units of varying degrees of LED tuning (I even got some). At the same time, there are people whose eyes seem to be sensitive to the way LED lights emit across a 6" screen. I think everyone here would agree that if they look hard enough (or not at all), you can see where the lights are on the Oasis. You can call it 'Scalloping' (whoever invented this, bravo) but you can also think of it simply as where the LED lights are emitting their light and how some people's eyes spot the shadows from said LEDs.

I bought and replaced 8 paperwhites and my eyes saw varying degrees of shadows on all of them (2 I would say were defective). I agree, i thought it was atrocious too. With the Voyage, I bought and returned 2 with the same 1/4 top issue my eyes caught, the 3rd ended up having the faintest lighting difference for me so I kept it. Every iteration, the lighting gets better. It's never perfect. With the Oasis, the Scalloping was very strong when I first turned it on but after a day or two of use, i just stopped seeing it or trying to find it. That doesn't mean it's not there, it just doesn't bother me. If I read with the Oasis with my right hand, i don't see any shadows and very few lighting problems. But when I use my left hand, i can see the left half of the screen as a different shade than the right. My first impression was negative with the lighting but now not so much.

Out of all of our senses, we trust our eyes as "truth". Betsy makes a great point that it's all in the eye of the beholder. The more happy people the better but for those that aren't, there's always the next generation. And I hear you, it sucks when you see light problems. After three generations of me not being able to use Amazon readers in the dark, I'm back on board. This Oasis, despite it not being perfect to me, is as close as i've experienced yet and i'm very pleased.

If you're paying 300+ dollars to read on a premier e-reader, I don't blame anyone who's not very happy with their screens to voice their complaints.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I suspect that another issue with Kindles, as with all products, is that it takes a while to find and fix the problems in a new assembly line.  That's been the case with most Kindles so far and with most other products as well.  It's understandable that the first batch has more lemons.

Barry

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm thinking about doing an unboxing video for you guys, but I don't feel remotely qualified to do so. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
740 Posts
Annie said:
I'm thinking about doing an unboxing video for you guys, but I don't feel remotely qualified to do so. Haha.
Sounds great. Always fun to get perspective from others with their new toy.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Annie said:

Do it! Love unboxing videos!

Betsy

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stanley, thanks for this explanation regarding the more effective shorter distance of the LED light on the side as opposed to the bottom like previous models.  Makes perfect sense!  I recall being miserable with the decreasing light coverage using the built-in cover light on my KK, as well as various other lights I'd tried.  The unevenness just made me crazy!  When the Paperwhite came out, I was beside myself with joy! 

·
Registered
296 Posts
Annie said:

I would love to see your unboxing video. You can practice on us!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Of course. If you were happy with the Paperwhite as many were, I think you will absolutely be beside yourself once again with the Oasis. It's very very impressive.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Switching between Voyage and Oasis I'm not discerning any serious screen quality differences.  There's definitely a difference in ergonomics . . . haven't worked out if I have a strong preference for one over the other yet.  At this point, it's just . . . different.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Ann in Arlington said:
Switching between Voyage and Oasis I'm not discerning any serious screen quality differences. There's definitely a difference in ergonomics . . . haven't worked out if I have a strong preference for one over the other yet. At this point, it's just . . . different.
When we had lunch on Thursday, about 20 hours after receiving mine, I was still trying to make up my mind. By Saturday, I was sure it was a keeper.

Betsy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Okay, I have had it for 12 minutes.  Set up and current book downloaded. 

Side by side with my Voyage the Oasis is brighter set at the same level as the Voyage.  Seems whiter too, but not by a lot.

Absolutely no sign of the cones of light.  Even used a magnifying glass and could not see them.  Now I will admit my eyes are aging but if I can't see them they are not there.

With case noticeably lighter than my Voyage with its oragami case which is not a light case.

So far feels good in the hand.  Will have to address battery, etc. later.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
ShinyTop said:
Merlot cover is darker than I expected. I like it. It does smell like leather.
That's what I thought. Some of the early photos of the Merlot were really not good, and even when I photographed it in good lighting, I had trouble getting the pic to be right--it really just does not photograph that well. But I really liked it. Love the feel of the leather.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
When we had lunch on Thursday, about 20 hours after receiving mine, I was still trying to make up my mind. By Saturday, I was sure it was a keeper.

Betsy
Oh, I expect it'll be a keeper -- but I'm just not sure I'll have a strong preference -- gotta use the Oasis more to decide.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a feeling when I get home, I won't have the patience to record a video. I'm gonna want to rip it open.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ShinyTop said:
Merlot cover is darker than I expected. I like it. It does smell like leather.
I'm glad to hear this! Some of the photos posted seemed fairly light, not the rich color I was hoping for, making me hesitate before ordering the merlot color. But in the end I threw caution to the wind and pulled the trigger on it. :D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Ann in Arlington said:
Oh, I expect it'll be a keeper -- but I'm just not sure I'll have a strong preference -- gotta use the Oasis more to decide.
I wasn't going to keep it if I didn't prefer it; I couldn't really justify it if I only liked it equally.

Betsy

241 - 260 of 742 Posts