Kindle Forum banner

281 - 300 of 742 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
cloudyvisions said:
So keep in mind I'm upgrading from the 2012 paperwhite, but did they do away with the little dots underneath the title and author that tell you how long the story is? And I guess there's no way to bring that back, rather than just seeing "KINDLE DOCUMENT"? That kinda stinks...I really liked telling if I was starting a short story or a long novel.
That went out with an update in the software at least 6 months ago or so . . . many people commented that they'd like to have it back on the home page because it does give an idea of how long a thing is, as well as how far you've read. Just having the percentage doesn't give the same information.
sseverus said:
There is a modification to adjust font size on Mobileread forums called FONT_RAMP. It works well on my Voyage. I created a file called FONT_RAMP using Notepad++ (free program). Don't use a word processing program like Word. My FONT_RAMP file has the following values:

9.05 9.47 9.89 10.31 10.73 11.15 11.57 11.99

I put the file in the root directory of my Voyage and rebooted. Using this file increases font size much more gradually avoiding the very large fonts. You can adjust the numbers to your liking.
I've heard of this before, but haven't tried it. . . .Perhaps you could start a new thread with some more details about how to do this.

It wouldn't fix the 'heaviness' issue, though, unless it somehow lets you specify a bold face option. For me, I've been fairly happy with Bookerly since they introduced it. Somewhere else on the boards someone was explaining how to install your own font preference, but it required a book by book modification via Calibre -- basically installing a 'publisher' font for each book -- AND books with no DRM. So probably too much trouble for most folks. :(

For me, I'm not crazy about any of the font choices, but certainly understand completely why they limit the options. As I say, I'm finding Bookerly perfectly satisfactory. I use level 5 -- but can read at 4 if necessary -- and keep the margins and line spacing narrow.

·
Registered
296 Posts
fancynancy said:
I skimmed through the pages here and didn't see a mention of the missing adaptive light sensor. It was 80% of the reason I bought the Voyage and it's my favorite Kindle feature yet. Why in the world did they leave that out? I guess people who purchased and are commenting here didn't need it? Even so, wouldn't you rather have it than not?
I'm disappointed they left that feature out too. I know a lot of people said they just turned it off, but I really like it. Seems a step back to me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
sseverus said:
There is a modification to adjust font size on Mobileread forums called FONT_RAMP. It works well on my Voyage. I created a file called FONT_RAMP using Notepad++ (free program). Don't use a word processing program like Word. My FONT_RAMP file has the following values:

I put the file in the root directory of my Voyage and rebooted. Using this file increases font size much more gradually avoiding the very large fonts. You can adjust the numbers to your liking.
That's awesome. Would love to have that on my Oasis so I'll have to look into it all. Thank you for sharing.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
nikkidog said:
I was glad to read this. I have been second guessing my choice of Merlot. After reading this review, I know I will be happy with the color.
I was concerned with the color, too, after seeing some of the early pics, but fell in love with it when I saw it.

cloudyvisions said:
So keep in mind I'm upgrading from the 2012 paperwhite, but did they do away with the little dots underneath the title and author that tell you how long the story is? And I guess there's no way to bring that back, rather than just seeing "KINDLE DOCUMENT"? That kinda stinks...I really liked telling if I was starting a short story or a long novel.
Yes, a lot of people wish the dots were back.

I can't say I ever thought about the dots much and didn't notice they were gone. And I almost never download short stories, so that's not an issue for me. I mostly want to know if it's a long book or a really long book :D because I just don't download many books under 200 pages. I like long books. ;)

But now, if I want to see how long a book is, when I first open a book, the "About the Book" opens and the length is shown--not as convenient, I agree, as the dots, but it works for me.

Also, when you go in the book, depending on your settings, it will show how long to read the book at the bottom left. And if you tap on the top of the screen to bring up the top and bottom menu, on newer books at least, it shows current loc of total locations, how much time to read the rest of the book, and how far (percentage wise) you are in the book.

Still, not as convenient, I know, as the dots. As always, I recommend that you give Amazon feedback!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sseverus said:

Update: I should add that I believe this only works on azw3 files. I usually convert my amazon ebooks to azw3 using calibre.
I'll definitely try this - I already convert to azw3 for my "publisher font" so this will hopefully work nicely. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I liked the dots, too. But it does say what percent is read (at least in the list view on the home page) so there is some information available for me.

L

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got my Oasis yesterday, and have been checking it out. My initial impressions are that this is the best kindle I've owned (previous kindles: keyboard, touch, Paperwhite 3, voyage). The screen is great. I know this can sometimes be a bit of a crapshoot, but I guess I lucked out. If I look really closely, I can see a bit of scalloping (light set at 13). However, once I start reading, I don't notice it.

This is the first kindle that I think I will use without a cover, as well as hold with one hand. It's so small and light. I hold it in my right hand with my thumb gently resting on the top (page forward) button. The little hump works really well. Love the buttons. Don't have to move my hand to gently press the page forward button. In very short order, it has become natural for me to use the Oasis this way. I've always liked my previous kindles, but used to constantly change positions while holding it (with two hands). I've noticed that I don't do that with the Oasis (still early days yet). It seems to make my whole reading experience a little more "zen."

I love the folks on Kindle Boards. Our discussions are interesting and informative. I checked out the Mobile Reads Forum. A little different atmosphere. Some folks like their new Oasis Kindle. I was surprised at some of the reactions calling the Oasis horrible and one of the worst kindles ever. Really? I can see criticism of the cost or a preference for the Paperwhite or Voyage (my Voyage had a pin prick at the bottom of the screen which I learned to live with). The screens of the three aren't dramatically different. I just don't get the over-the-top hatred. Oh well, back to reading (The Mistborn Trilogy - really good if you like fantasy/SciFi).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Your comment about cost is interesting--so many people are mentioning that the Oasis is "so expensive." I went back and checked--I paid $219 for my Voyage (I opted out of special offers) plus $45 for the cover: total $266. That's only $24 less than what I paid for the Oasis. Granted, with the Oasis I "had" to buy the cover--it wasn't an option. But I have always bought a cover for every Kindle I have owned because I don't like carrying them around without some sort of protection. So getting the Oasis with a cover was not a negative for me, but I realize not everyone feels the same.

Still, my point is that the Voyage was also a pricey Kindle, too, and the Oasis is not far out of line with that.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Leslie said:
Your comment about cost is interesting--so many people are mentioning that the Oasis is "so expensive." I went back and checked--I paid $219 for my Voyage (I opted out of special offers) plus $45 for the cover: total $266. That's only $24 less than what I paid for the Oasis. Granted, with the Oasis I "had" to buy the cover--it wasn't an option. But I have always bought a cover for every Kindle I have owned because I don't like carrying them around without some sort of protection. So getting the Oasis with a cover was not a negative for me, but I realize not everyone feels the same.

Still, my point is that the Voyage was also a pricey Kindle, too, and the Oasis is not far out of line with that.

L
An article that was posted (from Engadget?) calling the Oasis owners "the 1%" talked about the price compared to the Voyage. And it is interesting that after years of bring the price of ereaders down, down, down, Amazon has flipped and has, with the last two devices, upped the ante, pricewise.

kschles said:
Got my Oasis yesterday, and have been checking it out. My initial impressions are that this is the best kindle I love the folks on Kindle Boards. Our discussions are interesting and informative. I checked out the Mobile Reads Forum. A little different atmosphere. Some folks like their new Oasis Kindle. I was surprised at some of the reactions calling the Oasis horrible and one of the worst kindles ever. Really? I can see criticism of the cost or a preference for the Paperwhite or Voyage (my Voyage had a pin prick at the bottom of the screen which I learned to live with). The screens of the three aren't dramatically different. I just don't get the over-the-top hatred. Oh well, back to reading (The Mistborn Trilogy - really good if you like fantasy/SciFi).
Yeah, the folks at Mobilreads can get extreme. I think it's partly because they're not specifically a Kindle forum. We do tend to be fans here. :D. Though we welcome users of all readers. There have been some over-the-top comments about the Oasis ever since Jeff Bezos first tweeted about it and then more when it was announced.

Keep on hanging out with us!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Toby said:
Thanks bordercollielady for mentioning the contrast issue. I'm so happy that you didn't have a problem. I'm hoping when I get mine that it won't be an issue as well. I have a June 22 date. Long wait, but I am so excited for everyone getting theirs & for sharing their excitement.
I read another 3 hours or so yesterday and I'm still in love. I really thought it would be the page turn buttons that I would love. I do love them but most of all- my eyes are SO MUCH MORE RELAXED. I have Glaucoma, get eye strain really easily and the ivory screen is wonderful. I'm thrilled. I remember feeling this way with the early Kindles, but I have had more eye strain since they started lighting the screens.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
fancynancy said:
I skimmed through the pages here and didn't see a mention of the missing adaptive light sensor. It was 80% of the reason I bought the Voyage and it's my favorite Kindle feature yet. Why in the world did they leave that out? I guess people who purchased and are commenting here didn't need it? Even so, wouldn't you rather have it than not?
I turned mine off on the Voyage.. It never worked the way I expected and I ended up overriding it. So I don't miss it on the Oasis.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I actually used the adaptive sensor on the Voyage, until recently that is. Once I had set it it basically stayed at 10-11 all the time during day inside and out. I basically trained it to never go above 11 or 12, even in sun. Can't recall now exactly. But at night with the side lamp, I would have some issues. It would go up and down from 9, the lowest trained setting to 11, depending on how I leaned to or away from the side lamp. It started to drive me nuts.

Since its always at around 10 inside, I finally turned it off a few weeks ago. I only change it to 9 when I go to bed. I don't need any more than those 2 settings with the occasional 11 in weird outside weather.

So I wont miss it anymore. 

I keep my light fairly low I think compared to others. I keep it low enough so that it doesn't ever have any kind of "glow", doesn't look like a lit screen. If I see that, its to high for me. But high enough so I can see and have enough contrast.

·
Registered
710 Posts
So, I left my Kindle Oasis on my bed, and at this point, I've only had it in my possession for about an hour. One of my dogs come bounding onto the bed and knocks the Kindle off the bed. Needless to say, I was freaking out, but it looks like the cover protected it. The only damage appears to be some scuffs on the corners of the cover, but it makes a bit sad since I only had it for an hour, and I already damaged it. So for those who have pets or children, make sure you put yours somewhere safe!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I was concerned with the color, too, after seeing some of the early pics, but fell in love with it when I saw it.

Yes, a lot of people wish the dots were back.

I can't say I ever thought about the dots much and didn't notice they were gone. And I almost never download short stories, so that's not an issue for me. I mostly want to know if it's a long book or a really long book :D because I just don't download many books under 200 pages. I like long books. ;)

But now, if I want to see how long a book is, when I first open a book, the "About the Book" opens and the length is shown--not as convenient, I agree, as the dots, but it works for me.

Also, when you go in the book, depending on your settings, it will show how long to read the book at the bottom left. And if you tap on the top of the screen to bring up the top and bottom menu, on newer books at least, it shows current loc of total locations, how much time to read the rest of the book, and how far (percentage wise) you are in the book.

Still, not as convenient, I know, as the dots. As always, I recommend that you give Amazon feedback!

Betsy
Oh trust me, I sent them an e-mail last night! I got a very, unnecessarily long reply back this morning about how they apologize and they'll pass the info along...we'll see. I think it's kinda lame to still have that space there but have it just say % done...and I have a lot of things that say "KINDLE DOCUMENT" since I sent things to my kindle via e-mail. It's like...the space is still there for it, why take it away? I don't remember people ever bitching about a bunch of dots on their screen haha

But other than that, I think I LOVE IT. I've have the K2, the Kindle keyboard, and the paperwhite, and I think this one might be the best. It's the best for left handed readers for one thing...I don't have to reach over and make sure I'm in the "next" section instead of the previous page section to turn the page. And it's so freakin' light compared to the 2012 PW! I'm really enjoying it!

I think I might have some slight scallop-light issues, but I usually read with the light level at 8 or 9 so I can barely see it. It's interesting that it seems to be worse around 12 or 13 and then it's not there when it's either super low or super bright. Either that, or my eyes have just completely adjusted to it.

Compared to the first paperwhite, everything on this is crisper, it looks more even? I don't know, it's hard to describe. But It's definitely an upgrade for me! Not ever having had the Voyage, I can't say if it'd be worth the upgrade from that model, but it's definitely great if you have an older model. It's so much lighter and thinner and clearer. And left hand friendly!

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
So I got mine and it took a while to get it to open to the home page. It hasn't updated yet. Unfortunately, I am a bit disappointed at the light cones, smudges on the side with the buttons. They are pretty visible especially in a darker type room like bedroom with side lamp but shades closed, hallway, bathroom, etc. I don't see them right now as I am sitting on the computer with light at 10. But anytime ambient lighting needs to be on, they are quite there. Its like in the middle on the side mostly. LIke a couple of brighter spots with darker shadows. Kind of where the buttons are.

I'll have to use it for a day or two at night and see if I can live with this. My Voyage has none of this, its totally even, no shadows, no light cones, even at night in a dark room.

This is a lot of money and I expected it to be like the Voyage at least.

If I decide not to live with it, I will do a return as I have issues with phone and do not want to play the replacement game again like with the PW. At the time I felt really uncomfortable when I got the 2nd replacement with the rep and they weren't going to send another. I have a phone phobia that is tough enough to deal with this.

In bright light it looks pretty great. For me the light level needed is exactly the same as my Voyage and the backround is a bit more grey looking? I can't put my finger on. Not in a bad way, just a different tone a bit. Contrast is really about the same with the Oasis a tad better as I think the backround color works a tad better with the font. But really barely noticable.

It is incredibly light and I could read on this for hours. ONce I figure out the button issue. I am like right in between the top and bottom and depending on how I old I need the top or the bottom for advancing. Just a learning curve, just like I had with the Voyage.

I haven't even opened the cover yet as I was much more concerned about the screen.

My spell check is not working so forgive the type errors.

·
5,880 Posts
So a day after my mixed first impressions (http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,234947.msg3277603.html#msg3277603) I've come to a decision - I'm sending the Oasis back.

It's the first time I've ever returned a Kindle, for any reason, and I'm bitterly disappointed as I so wanted to love it. There's nothing really wrong with it, but the new design just doesn't suit me. I've been reading all day on and off, hoping I would get used to or learn to ignore the bits I didn't like, but in the end I thought it's a lot of money to spend for something where I'll just be making do, when I'm already very happy with the Voyage.

It's kind of worrying for the future - if Amazon continue with this form factor for their flagship devices, I'm going to be forever consigned to having second rank Kindles, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm cheering myself up by treating myself to a new and very colourful Fintie cover for my Voyage. ;D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I've heard of this before, but haven't tried it. . . .Perhaps you could start a new thread with some more details about how to do this.

It wouldn't fix the 'heaviness' issue, though, unless it somehow lets you specify a bold face option. For me, I've been fairly happy with Bookerly since they introduced it. Somewhere else on the boards someone was explaining how to install your own font preference, but it required a book by book modification via Calibre -- basically installing a 'publisher' font for each book -- AND books with no DRM. So probably too much trouble for most folks. :(

For me, I'm not crazy about any of the font choices, but certainly understand completely why they limit the options. As I say, I'm finding Bookerly perfectly satisfactory. I use level 5 -- but can read at 4 if necessary -- and keep the margins and line spacing narrow.
I have tried the FONT_RAMP thing on my Voyage and it works just fine. As you say it doesn't help with making the font bolder or heavier.

You can do that while converting the book in Calibre.

I use a bolder font on my Kobo and on my phone with Moon+ but I'm happy enough with Bookerly or Caecilia as they are on the Kindle.

Barry

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read all over the place, and watched videos- and the burning question I have-  concerns reading in bed on your right side, with a Kindle standing up in its case, like an A-frame house. 

Videos seem to show the KO being very hyper-sensitive to flipping rotation at the slightest tilt.  There's no screen lock as of yet... so, how's it make up its mind which is up and which is down, if I want it on its side?    If its tented by its case being folded back for a back leg, and its resting on its fat button edge, will it continue to consider the fat side to be the right margin?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Linjeakel said:
So a day after my mixed first impressions (http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,234947.msg3277603.html#msg3277603) I've come to a decision - I'm sending the Oasis back.

It's the first time I've ever returned a Kindle, for any reason, and I'm bitterly disappointed as I so wanted to love it. There's nothing really wrong with it, but the new design just doesn't suit me. I've been reading all day on and off, hoping I would get used to or learn to ignore the bits I didn't like, but in the end I thought it's a lot of money to spend for something where I'll just be making do, when I'm already very happy with the Voyage.

It's kind of worrying for the future - if Amazon continue with this form factor for their flagship devices, I'm going to be forever consigned to having second rank Kindles, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm cheering myself up by treating myself to a new and very colourful Fintie cover for my Voyage. ;D
Linda, you're absolutely right to return it if it doesn't suit you. Goes to show how personal an ereader is. I'd also send the feedback to Amazon when they ask why the item is being returned.

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Koi said:
I've read all over the place, and watched videos- and the burning question I have- concerns reading in bed on your right side, with a Kindle standing up in its case, like an A-frame house.

Videos seem to show the KO being very hyper-sensitive to flipping rotation at the slightest tilt. There's no screen lock as of yet... so, how's it make up its mind which is up and which is down, if I want it on its side? If its tented by its case being folded back for a back leg, and its resting on its fat button edge, will it continue to consider the fat side to be the right margin?
EDITED: You have to turn it almost 180 degrees to have it flip 180 degrees. If you only turn it 90 degrees, it won't flip. As Atunah says above, it's around 140% (on mine, anyway) before it flips. And you can set it in Landscape mode, too, if you want.

Betsy

281 - 300 of 742 Posts