Kindle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 742 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I would call the screen more ivory than sepia, which to me has a more brown connotation--as a quilter, I'm kind of picky about color. :). It's really quite nice. And at my current setting and lighting, I don't see the scalloping. I didn't consider them a defect, personally--they were so faint. I mentioned them because people were asking.

BTW, I had every confidence, Ann, that you wouldn't expect to take my new KO (Calypso) home. I always give my hubby those looks--I'm giving him one now! :D

Is it wrong to be reading it at B&N?



Someone commented about the sound of the buttons. I've been experimenting with the best reading position for me. I think I'm going to read with my thumb kind of in the middle between the buttons--easy to reach either button that way. There is also room for my thumb between the button and the screen on the bezel. Anyway, if you press on the middle of the button, there is a distinct click. If you press on the end of the button, it's softer. I'd say experiment. And there is always the touch screen if it bothers your partner in bed.

I'm learning how to read with it that best works for me, and liking it more the more I use it.

Betsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,967 Posts
I'm one that prefers touch screen. I noticed in the picture Betsy you are holding it in your left hand. When holding it that way can you use the touch screen tapping on the right side to page forward?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Kathy said:
I'm one that prefers touch screen. I noticed in the picture Betsy you are holding it in your left hand. When holding it that way can you use the touch screen tapping on the right side to page forward?
Oh, yes! The "back" zone is only about a half inch wide or so.



I still use the touch screen occasionally on both my Voyage and the Oasis, depending on how I've grabbed it. I read with my left hand about 90% of the time.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
I just fired up my reader about 40 minutes ago and initial impression is WOW great job, IMO very even lighting so no issues and I read at 13 and FWI I had to go through 7 readers on PW1 before I accepted one. It is a smoother screen to read on and boy is it light weight wise even in the cover. Mine picked up the update a couple minutes after I connected to wifi. Very impressed with it and will test more later when I get back to my book oh the buttons are very easy to use and give a very slight click...so IMO this is what a premium reader should be...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,122 Posts
I've read about 1 1/2 JD Robb books since the Oasis and cover were both fully charged yesterday.  If I had to estimate, that was probably about 3.5-4 hours for me.  I have the light at level 10.
The Oasis shows 89% (charging from cover) and the cover is down to 78%.  I figure that by this rate and since we are coming up to a weekend, I'll probably have to charge it Saturday/Sunday.
The next test I want to try is charging the Oasis totally and leaving it out of the case to see how long the battery lasts that way.  I need to dig out my sleeve so I have some way to protect it when doing that test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
Thanks for those pics Betsy. It looks really good there and I don't see any issues on that screen at all. But I have to say I didn't take you as a san serif kind of gal. ;D. Is that the new ember?

What setting light did you have it there, seems like next to a window, my inside reading on a non cloudy day would probably be similar to that. On the Voyage I stay with 10 or 11. If its cloudy, or rainy and really dark, I go to 10 and sometimes even 9. As I really only care about so called screen issues if they show up on levels and situations I actually use the kindle, I think I feel more positive now.

Its like if I take my Voyage and turn the light all the way up, I can see the brighter bottom, and darker top, really doesn't look very even on 24. But I am inside and its like looking into the sun on that level. I actually have sparkles in my eye now, ouch.

But its just not a realistic reading brightness so it doesn't really matter. Screen looks perfectly even on usable levels like for me 9-11.

It looks fine on 13 or so too, but at that level inside, I already notice the "glow". And if I see the screen glowing, its too high for me. Even 12 shows the glow already, so I stay with 10.

I am thinking it would be similar with the Oasis.

larryb52 said:
I just fired up my reader about 40 minutes ago and initial impression is WOW great job, IMO very even lighting so no issues and I read at 13 and FWI I had to go through 7 readers on PW1 before I accepted one. It is a smoother screen to read on and boy is it light weight wise even in the cover. Mine picked up the update a couple minutes after I connected to wifi. Very impressed with it and will test more later when I get back to my book oh the buttons are very easy to use and give a very slight click...so IMO this is what a premium reader should be...
Glad to hear that. I had a horrible time with the PW1 and could never get a good one so I gave up and bought a basic and gave the PW to my husband. Then I got the Voyage which is great. So if you are happy with the screen after your ordeal on the PW1, I should be too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Andra said:
I've read about 1 1/2 JD Robb books since the Oasis and cover were both fully charged yesterday. If I had to estimate, that was probably about 3.5-4 hours for me. I have the light at level 10.
The Oasis shows 89% (charging from cover) and the cover is down to 78%. I figure that by this rate and since we are coming up to a weekend, I'll probably have to charge it Saturday/Sunday.
The next test I want to try is charging the Oasis totally and leaving it out of the case to see how long the battery lasts that way. I need to dig out my sleeve so I have some way to protect it when doing that test.
Just curious how often do you charge your kindle now??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Living in a retirement home I deal with a lot of Kindles, mine and the neighbors, since I'm always helping them with theirs.  I've noticed that there's a lot of difference in individual screens, even in the same model and generation.  I'm not talking so much about differences in evenness or contrast but difference in color.

My Paperwhite's screens are warmer than my Voyage screen but some of them are warmer than others.  All are very even and all have good contrast.  The newer models are more even and have slightly better contrast but these are small differences.  The color differences are greater.

When I help my neighbors with their Kindles I see the same thing.  Put them next to one of mine of the same model and it's screen is warmer or cooler in color.

When I compare them it's easy to pick the one I like the best.  Of mine, that's the Paperwhite 2.  It has the warmest screen.

When I'm reading none of this matters at all.  The screens are all equally good.

I think it's important to realize that warmth and coolness when talking about whites is a relative term.  My Paperwhite 3 looks cool next to my Paperwhite 2 and warm next to my Voyage.  None of this matters a bit when I'm reading.  I always prefer the warm whites when comparing and I usually read with the cool Voyage because it's lighter and smaller when I'm reading with one.

On my phone, where I'm currently doing most of my reading, I have a fairly warm sepia screen.  Sepia can also be warm or cool.

Barry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Atunah said:
Thanks for those pics Betsy. It looks really good there and I don't see any issues on that screen at all. But I have to say I didn't take you as a san serif kind of gal. ;D. Is that the new ember?

What setting light did you have it there, seems like next to a window, my inside reading on a non cloudy day would probably be similar to that. On the Voyage I stay with 10 or 11. If its cloudy, or rainy and really dark, I go to 10 and sometimes even 9. As I really only care about so called screen issues if they show up on levels and situations I actually use the kindle, I think I feel more positive now.

Its like if I take my Voyage and turn the light all the way up, I can see the brighter bottom, and darker top, really doesn't look very even on 24. But I am inside and its like looking into the sun on that level. I actually have sparkles in my eye now, ouch.

But its just not a realistic reading brightness so it doesn't really matter. Screen looks perfectly even on usable levels like for me 9-11.

It looks fine on 13 or so too, but at that level inside, I already notice the "glow". And if I see the screen glowing, its too high for me. Even 12 shows the glow already, so I stay with 10.

I am thinking it would be similar with the Oasis.
Yes, that's Ember. Just trying it out. Have always read serif before. I'm not sure I really have that strong a preference except out of habit.

The light before was at 18; this is 11, which is more what I kept my Paperwhites at. We're next to the window at B&N. I'm like you, I don't like it to glow.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,122 Posts
mistyd107 said:
Just curious how often do you charge your kindle now??
I have to charge my Voyage about once a week if it's a regular week and I am working. I usually manage to get in 2-3 hours a day.
And it's rare that I run it totally down. I start to panic if I get down to about 25%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,967 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Oh, yes! The "back" zone is only about a half inch wide or so.



I still use the touch screen occasionally on both my Voyage and the Oasis, depending on how I've grabbed it. I read with my left hand about 90% of the time.

Betsy
Perfect. I hold my Voyage with my left hand most of the time and touch with my right hand. When I saw the picture I knew I would love it. I'll try the buttons but I'll probably keep using the touch screen. Just use to it since getting the Kindle Touch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Andra said:
I have to charge my Voyage about once a week if it's a regular week and I am working. I usually manage to get in 2-3 hours a day.
And it's rare that I run it totally down. I start to panic if I get down to about 25%.
I'm abt the same I was just curious I'm never sure if we should let the batteries get that low :) it may be weird but the fact that the oasis actually shows percentage was a big draw for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I am loving my new Oasis with the black cover. I was amazed at how small it is. I thought that I would read without the cover but find that I leave the cover on. I like to hold it in my left hand. The only thing that I don't like and it is a small thing is that if you don't use it for a certain amount of time it goes into a deep sleep and that takes longer to come out of when you open the cover. Once it wakes it goes back to the light level that I prefer. The first time it happened I thought that there was something wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts
I just now compared my Voyage to the Oasis. With everything set the same (page, font, light) I am surprised at how much more white the Oasis is compared to the Voyage. My Voyage looks like it has a grayish tint to it when compared to the Oasis, which of course I never noticed before. I can faintly see some of the scalloping that has been mentioned, but whenever I am reading I do not notice it, or it doesn't bother me, not sure. I do see it more when I have it flipped since it comes from the side with the buttons, but still not really bothersome.

I did a lot of reading last night and some today and I am really loving the Oasis. I love being able to switch hands and flip it easily and keep going. I ended up reading it in the cover and felt that was very comfortable. I've been playing with the buttons and which one I want to page forward. I've changed it a couple times, but I've ended up with the default setting where the top button is the forward one. I thought it was kind of strange that way, but oddly enough I find that is where my thumb rests when I am holding it. So I guess Amazon chose that as the default for a reason. ;D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
mistyd107 said:
I'm abt the same I was just curious I'm never sure if we should let the batteries get that low :) it may be weird but the fact that the oasis actually shows percentage was a big draw for me.
I'm a battery abuser. Can't say that I've ever had a small device battery go bad before what I considered its time. I did have laptop batteries go bad, but I always thought it was the opposite problem--I kept them plugged in too much.

Betsy
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
KathyY said:
I am loving my new Oasis with the black cover. I was amazed at how small it is.
I know, right? It's so little and cute!

I thought that I would read without the cover but find that I leave the cover on. I like to hold it in my left hand. The only thing that I don't like and it is a small thing is that if you don't use it for a certain amount of time it goes into a deep sleep and that takes longer to come out of when you open the cover. Once it wakes it goes back to the light level that I prefer. The first time it happened I thought that there was something wrong.
Yeah, I think I'm going to keep it in the cover. Since I read with the left hand with the cover folded back, I'm training myself to leave it logo side up, "upside down" so that the "spine" with the buttons is on the left and the cover hinge is on the right. That way I don't have to flip it.

I'm trying to work on the "flip" so it feels natural for those times when I do change hands. Or, I'll just leave it unflipped and use the touch screen.

Mine seemed kind of frozen just now when hubby wanted to look at it. I eventually held the power button down until it rebooted. Maybe if I had just waited, it would have come up.

I also just plugged it in for the first time--the device was down to 88% and the cover 22%. There's a light that comes on on the power button itself to show it's charging. It's orange now.

I'm liking it more and more.

Betsy
 
121 - 140 of 742 Posts
Top