Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite frankly I can't see why they are bothering to do it. For starters the print will be small and it is still a book, except it is thinner paper. Will readers really fall this if the are ereaders:

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Color me skeptical for many reasons.

Among them, you still can't fit thousands of books in the same amount of physical space as a Kindle (LOL) and the Bible-paper will have a "cheap" feel to it, and of course the key to why this won't work is buried in the story...

"Despite costing £2 more than paperbacks..."

Hmm... smaller AND more expensive AND with a cheaper feel/less durable paper than mass market paperbacks?

That's not an eBook killer at all.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jackz4000 said:
The Mail sure is running slow. I read this back in March in the Guardian and they are not so positive. I mean just look at the size of the thing. If this is publishings Kindleslayer...they are in deep doodoo. Maybe if they could make the book smaller, like a pack of matches and call it a Matchbook?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/20/could-this-kill-kindle
Not forgetting to throw in the magnifying glass for free to attract sales.........

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Sandra Edwards said:
I don't see that as a "Kindle Slayer" anytime soon. Sure won't make me set my Kindle aside for the magnifying glass...but that's just me :)
This. But I do think it's nice they're saving a little paper. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
From very personal experience, I can safely say that readers don't want thinner paper. It makes them think it's a shorter book, and they're not going to pay good money for a short book.

7,412 Posts
This has nothing, NOTHING to do with competing with the Kindle. About the only real thing you can take from this is that news outlets are starting to see the Kindle as something inevitable, with paper books needing some way to "compete" with the coming takeover. But seriously, this is just dumb. It'll cost more, feel cheaper, seem odder, and be annoying to use to read. Did I say dumb?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Half-Orc said:
This has nothing, NOTHING to do with competing with the Kindle. About the only real thing you can take from this is that news outlets are starting to see the Kindle as something inevitable, with paper books needing some way to "compete" with the coming takeover. But seriously, this is just dumb. It'll cost more, feel cheaper, seem odder, and be annoying to use to read. Did I say dumb?
Yes, I do believe you did say dumb. Maybe even more than once.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
For their next act, they're going to print books on rolls of birchbark.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Or they could multipurpose and print books on toilet paper... you could read while you poo and then flush it down the toilet. Double doody, Uh, I mean double duty ;).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Another article written by someone who doesn't own an e-reader. ::)

·
Registered
586 Posts
mickip said:
Do they think the book buying public are really that gullible. The whole thing is a gimmick. pure and simple.
I especially like this paragraph:In an attempt to increase sales of paper books the publisher has resorted to getting inspiration from the Bible.
And it didn't involve a prayer to the Gods to make it happen.

Isn't that book supposed to be all about one God or something? I certainly won't be getting my inspiration from the clown who thought that one up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
mickip said:
Quite frankly I can't see why they are bothering to do it. For starters the print will be small and it is still a book, except it is thinner paper. Will readers really fall this if the are ereaders:
They'll probably all be baffled when they reach for the page turning button out of habit:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts