Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In place of my favorite bookstore, I've found something even more addictive...a 24/7 Kindle Store library with sample chapters and loads of reviews and related (translate as caught in an endless maze) book recommendations. No longer do I have to sneak peeks at DTBs in a bookstore or lament that the bookstore closed for the night when I want that book NOW! My personal Kindle "bookstore" is open when Whispernet is on and wherever I am at that time!

The Kindle Store "book maze" seems to hit me mostly when I'm *between* novels.....what will be the next novel? Is there a better one still? Am I sure I want to read this one now or should I read another before it? Download, sample, read, and repeat! Read a book review in a magazine or hear about a book on TV? Open the Kindle store now! A constant hunt for the Next Great Book to read.

Last night I was ready to start my third Kindle novel and instead spent (embarrassingly) nearly two hours in the Kindle store sampling and perusing. Why should the decision on *which book to read next* be so daunting? Because I have an entire library of books at my Kindletips just begging to be read. Is anyone else so distracted by the Kindle store?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I tend not to get so trapped in the Kindle store book maze. My problem is, I have downloaded dozens of samples over the past 8 months. But, I keep finding newer samples to read and so I am not getting to the old ones, which are just sitting there.

I also have a habit, when reading, of going off on tangents, which I am doing right now. I have a writing project I am mulling over and doing some reading as part of my research for the story. I just finished this:

and now I am halfway through this.

Both are good and giving me lots of good info for my writing project.

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
No, I really don't have that problem.  Usually, there is a particular book I'm going for or a particular genre I'm in the mood for. 

Otherwise, it's something I've found here on KB which is the best resource. 

The book maze is on Little Gertie, not in the Kindle Store.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah, I'm a lot like Gertie.  I've got so many books either on my wishlist, samples waiting to be read, or that I've already purchased, that I don't have time to browse the Kindle store!  (Although I do check for new offerings from my favorite authors periodically.)  Just checking out recommendations from the Book Corner could take up all my reading time!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I hear ya, libro. . . .I don't spend a lot of time browsing through my Kindle, but I can lose lots of time just wandering around the Amazon site. . . .but like Leslie, Gertie and Marianner I have so many samples and books already on my Kindle that I try to resist the temptation to buy more.  OTOH, I bought a $50 GC the other day for March. . . .it's already spent.  :-|  Oh well.  :)  This is why I won't buy another one before April!

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I hear ya, libro. . . .I don't spend a lot of time browsing through my Kindle, but I can lose lots of time just wandering around the Amazon site. . . .but like Leslie, Gertie and Marianner I have so many samples and books already on my Kindle that I try to resist the temptation to buy more. OTOH, I bought a $50 GC the other day for March. . . .it's already spent. :-| Oh well. :) This is why I won't buy another one before April!

Ann
I only spent $1 from my March GC. One for .99 and one for .01. But don't think I'm being virtuous. ;) The rest is earmarked.

I'm just waiting a few more days (my Amazon Visa closes on the 13th when I can get my April GC) and then I can get a Stephanie Plum and use the rest to replace some more Agatha Christie books. On March 14th, I can start all over again.

At least that's my plan.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same problem, libro. I feel the need to never be without something to read, no matter what my mood might be. So, I've got a lot of samples of "different" types of books on my Kindle, and I'm always thinking "what will be my next book?" I guess if it's an addiction, it's the "good kind". ;D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I download dozens of samples each week, I go through the maze each Tuesday for that weeks releases.  Every Sunday I read all the samples and decide to buy, delete, save for later or leave on as a sample.  The leave on ones are ones I can't decide if I want to read them or not or I want but I'm out of GC for the month.  Sometimes it's because the subject is one I like, but I just can't get into right now and I know I'll want later.  I have way too many books on my Kindles and now with 2 I find I am putting some on one Kindle and not the other since I know I will be reading them in different places.  I used to have 4 to 6 DTBs going at a time now I find myself doing again.  Oh well, it's a harmless addiction I keep telling myself. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is why I joined goodreads.com, and strongarmed my friends and family to do the same.  It lets me track what I want to read, as well as what I have read.  I can also get reccomendations from friends to help navigate the maze.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am also constantly wondering what my next book will be, but I try not to let my wandering thoughts about other books get in the way of what I'm reading at the moment.

I also started by downloading samples of all the books I thought I wanted to read, but it got annoying having to flip through pages of them on my home screen, so I deleted them all and instead added those books to my "save for later" list. That way, when I finish a book I can go to that list to choose my next one (or choose from the free ones that I've already downloaded).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oh, I can sympathize!!!  I am not so much searching on my KINDLE through the store, but I do get trapped on my laptop store!!   :-\

I suppose this is why I love series so much.  It takes the guesswork out of what to read next...just get the next book!  But when a series ends or when a stand alone book ends, I feel panicy trying to figure out what is next!  I have samples and freebies and bargain books...yet I still rip through Amazon.com looking and looking....

I have found that it helps to add notes to each book I actually download to Kindle stating if it was free, bargain priced or what (ie: recommended by who or why) and I am hoping that this helps me to make selections or at least to not feel guilty when I delete a book that I am just not going to read.

(The plus of doing this is that Kindle will search notes when you do a search, so these notes can essentially be tags!  Thus organizing your Kindle contents!!  I use qfreebie or qbargain or qvampire or qromance, etc etc so that when I search, it won't bring up EVERY time that word is used without the q...does that make sense?)

Anyway, back on subject  ::)  You are not alone....Amazon wants us to feel this way.  It is good for business.  As long as you don't go nutso with the $9.99 books and up, then it will be OK.  Go on a quest for free and bargain priced books.  There are threads for each  in the book corner section.  It is thrilling to read a great book that cost you nothing or as little as $2!!!!  (Or a penny!)

Hi...I am KindleKay...and I am a Kindle/Amazon bookstore addict.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I find these boards a far far bigger danger than the Kindle Store.  They're better laid out, everyone's got a recommendation or 12 to pass along, and you just never know what you're going to stumble into.  :D

I actually find Amazon's entire user interface to be utterly unworkable.  It's extremely rare that I'll "browse" through even the website, because it's so incredibly frustrating.  Even with series, a lot of times the books aren't labeled in order, and of course, the Kindle publishing date may or may not be of use.  Most of what I read isn't on the bestseller list, and their genre browsing is darn near worthless from my perspective.  Amazon for me always has been a "go directly to what I need, buy it & get out" type of website.

The recommendations (and freebie/bargain notifications) I've found here, however, have been fabulous.  I've already found several new authors in just a week.  Of course, the accessories forum has basically killed any book budget I had for this month......

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Victoria....I agree with the series thing.  I have so much trouble figuring out the order of books in a series.  Wikipedia is OK to figure it out, or do a Google search for the series helps, too.  Wiki you have to watch out for since one time, I was looking and as I scrolled to the series book order, I mistakenly happened upon a "spoiler" for the series.  That stunk!!  (It was the Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.  I won't post what I learned in case others are reading it!)

I also agree that these boards have been my main source of book finds.  Bargain books and free books are AWESOME!  Then, you kind of get to know fellow Kindleboarders personality and try out books that they like. 

I have made a deal with myself that the majority of books that I purchase have to be in the $5-6 range.  I will alway go lower than that, but higher?  It has to be a great read.  I don't even like the $9.99 books that much.  The most expensive Kindle book I purchased?  The 8th in the Southern Vampire Mysteries.  It was $11.99!!!  YIKES!  But I loved the series so very much and just couldn't wait.  That was definately a BIG exception in my book buying list....

·
Registered
597 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I find these boards a far far bigger danger than the Kindle Store. They're better laid out, everyone's got a recommendation or 12 to pass along, and you just never know what you're going to stumble into. :D

I actually find Amazon's entire user interface to be utterly unworkable. Even with series, a lot of times the books aren't labeled in order, and of course, the Kindle publishing date may or may not be of use.
Yup, I feel your pain. My spouse is a User Interface developer and I almost want to move to Seattle and make him get a job with Amazon just so he can clean up their darned website. I never used to buy all that much online so I never noticed how bad their website was until I got my Kindle.

On the other hand, I love this board! I've found so many great recommendations here. The only problem is that when I hear about an intriguing book here, I find myself right back on Amazon trying to check it out and getting frustrated all over again.....

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have found far more potential reading material here at KB the Amazon, mostly because of the poor search capabilities.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
intinst said:
I have found far more potential reading material here at KB the Amazon, mostly because of the poor search capabilities.
I also love the recommendations here because they are from real people. As I have gotten to know folks, I am learning who likes the type of stuff I do and that helps, too.

I have enough to read to keep me busy for months! LOL And I still download samples!

L

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I frequently get stuck in the "maze" ..................often for a few hours at a time. it is in fact one of the main reasons why I have so many new books on my Kindle and not enough time to read them all LOL  :D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Well, it works for the brick and morter stores.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts