Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to announce our latest project... the KindleBoards blog.

This is a way for us to highlight Kindle news, tips, interesting threads in our forums, or all kinds of items of interest related to Kindle.

It's available at http://www.kboards.com/blog

(It also has an RSS feed, so if you like to use feedreaders, you can subscribe using the RSS icon at the bottom of the blog page.)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Harvey, thanks so much.  I have been researching blogs this morning.  So glad to find one from folks I trust and already love to read what they have to say.  Unfortunately, in my research I did not discover what feedreader is.  I'm currently trying to figure that out, but if someone has a minute to explain, thanks.
deb

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
egh34 said:
feedreeder, and rss...those are the things that confuse me...feeling fairly stupid and un-techy, even tho I love techy stuff (Kindle, I-pod, I-phone, laptop, etc!!!
Don't feel alone...I don't have a clue what that is either. Maybe someone will pity our ignorance and explain. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Don't feel alone...I don't have a clue what that is either. Maybe someone will pity our ignorance and explain. :)
All I know is that my email program (Thunderbird) keeps wanting to be my default RSS (Real Simple Something) program. It won't tell me what that means :-\

Somebody will take pity on us soon...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It's pretty easy.  If you have gmail, you already have an RSS reader.  I think yahoo offers one, too.  The easiest way, IMO, to subscribe to an RSS feed is to look for the little orange icon that looks kind of like a speaker.  On the kindleboards blog, it's at the bottom of the page.  You click on it, and it will ask you something like what account you want to use.  (I'm doing this from memory, since google is setup as my default.)  Pick google, or whatever you have a login to.  You enter your login information, and that's pretty much it - you're subscribed.  To read your feeds from google, when you're in gmail, click on "more" in the top menu (at the very top, where it has the option to go you your calendar and other stuff), then "even more."  This will bring up a page of all google's services.  Look for "Reader" under "Communicate, show & share."

Gah, I hope all that made sense.  Just click on the RSS icon, and I think all will become clear...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Harvey, remember, I am a tech wannabe, not quite there yet. But is a feedreader my e-mail? Can I click on the rss button and have it go to my aol e-mail? And if I am understanding this correctly, it will save me from actually clicking on the website as opposed to having it easily available via e-mail?

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can get FeedDemon which is a seperate program. It comes with some feeds set up and you can start adding whatever ones you like or delete theirs.

http://www.newsgator.com/individuals/default.aspx

Or if you have a good email program like Outlook 2007 you can use it, or if you use Internet Explorer or Firefox Browsers you can use them to reed rss feeds. Just go to the blog and then click on the orange rss button in your browser.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
There are many many RSS readers out there for every platform. Essentially, it consolidates all the blogs you like to read in one application, then it feeds you the new blog postings. You no longer need to use your web browser to read the postings, or even check if there are new postings, they are consolidated by and read in the RSS reader.

You can categorize the blogs you read into different groups (like folders). I have groups for Personal Finance, Kindle, Food & Recipes, News, etc.

I use NewsFire on my Mac.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
OK, I'm about to show my real ignorance. What is the advantage of posting a piece on the blog, as opposed to posting it in this forum?

Steve

B

·
0 Posts
stevene9 said:
OK, I'm about to show my real ignorance. What is the advantage of posting a piece on the blog, as opposed to posting it in this forum?

Steve
Absolutely none. The great thing about RSS is that you get an e-mail alert every time anybody posts about anything.

·
Registered
326 Posts
stevene9 said:

Steve
Its an easy way to keep up on the latest news without having to go look for it. Also you can have your blog googled and draw alot more people to it than a MB and then direct them here to Kindleboards. Its a great way to pick up more subscribers.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Is the context going to be different or is just another thing to spend time reading? Is it like Amazon vs KB so to speak, same subject matter or new information?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Absolutely none. The great thing about RSS is that you get an e-mail alert every time anybody posts about anything.
That would be almost absolutely the last thing that I wanted to happen to me. I have a hard enough time reading the 30 posts a day from the Insomniac's Mystery Thread on Amazon. (Do you realize how many posts there are each and every day in the "Accessories" Forum alone)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts