Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misadventures, catastrophes and disasters best describe the sudden downturn in the life of the immortal Knight of Death. Just when he thinks he has it all figured out after 837 years working as alchemist and assassin for the Order of the Red Cross of Gold, poor Knights of Solomon's Temple, he suddenly learns that fate has a different path in mind for him.

Hello from Cyber Space! I'm Brendan Carroll, author of the Red Cross of Gold series of action/adventure novels detailing the exploits of the Chevalier Mark Andrew Ramsay, a simple Scot trying to live out his long existence in the relative seclusion of the Scottish lowlands, making gold for the clandestine Order of Templars who survived the Middle Ages, the Inquisition and every global disaster for the last millennium in secrecy. These are the real men behind all the conspiracy theories. They know all about the Philosopher's Stone, the Holy Grail, the Nephelim, the Crystal Skulls, Easter Island, the Great Pyramid and they know what really happened to the dinosaurs, just to name a few things of interest. This 28 book, super-series ties most all of the world's mysteries together in one continuing adventure as the Knight of Death is drawn into an unstoppable flight into Armageddon.

Give the gift that keeps on going from the here and now to the there and then. Assassin Chronicles:. The Red Cross of Gold.

Currently, books I through XX are published in Kindle format with Book I- Book XVIII all available in DTB (paperback) from Amazon.

Sincerely, Brendan Carroll

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Brendan Carroll said:
Misadventures, catastrophes and disasters best describe the sudden downturn in the life of the immortal Knight of Death. Just when he thinks he has it all figured out after 837 years working as alchemist and assassin for the Order of the Red Cross of Gold, poor Knights of Solomon's Temple, he suddenly learns that fate has a different path in mind for him.

Hi! I'm Brendan Carroll, author of the Red Cross of Gold series of action/adventure novels detailing the exploits of the Chevalier Mark Andrew Ramsay, a simple Scot trying to live out his long existence in the relative seclusion of the Scottish lowlands, making gold for the clandestine Order of Templars who survived the Middle Ages, the Inquisition and every global disaster for the last millennium in secrecy. These are the real men behind all the conspiracy theories. They know all about the Philosopher's Stone, the Holy Grail, the Nephelim, the Crystal Skulls, Easter Island, the Great Pyramid and they know what really happened to the dinosaurs, just to name a few things of interest. This 28 book, super-series ties most all of the world's mysteries together in one continuing adventure as the Knight of Death is drawn into an unstoppable flight into Armageddon.

Currently, books I through IX are published in Kindle format with Book I, the Knight of Death in paperback edition available at Amazon.com. Book II, the King of Terrors will be on sale for only a buck for the entire month of June. The others are only a few cents more. Enjoy these epic adventures while they are on sale.

Of myself, I can only say that I enjoyed writing these novels far more than anything I've ever done and only wish to share them with all who might appreciate a good story real cheap! Not that I'm a cheap person by any means, but I wrote the books to be read, not stashed away in the bottom of a closet or in the attic collecting dust. A little bio goes a long way and I don't want to bore you with a long list of my personal accomplishments. Suffice it to say that I have spent most of my life wearing some kind of uniform or another (even though I don't particular like uniforms ???), working in the service of the people of the United States and the State of Texas (not by design, but mostly by accident). I have been like a leaf drifting in the stream of life, going whither the water flows. I hope that you will join me in celebrating what life has laid before me in the form of my creative imagination.

Feel free to post on this site and ask anything you like… I'll try to answer you with a smile :), a wink ;) and a nod :-\ (I know that is not a nod, but I take what I can get).

Sincerely, Brendan Carroll

Snippet from "the King of Terrors":

Their purpose was now clear. They were going to use the woman against Ramsay. Even international law would not protect them, if they were caught kidnapping an American citizen. Papal immunity would not help them if the local authorities got hold of them. How very stupid of them. They would pay dearly for this transgression. They would be lucky to resolve it with only ex-communication. His mind raced in retrospect. Ramsay's son! Who had come and taken the boy away? Were the two Knights working in collusion with others… with mortal men? He cursed himself, silently for not having attempted to identify the occupant of the white car that had taken the boy away. The woman was bad enough, but the boy? Ramsay would be in very serious trouble if someone were to use the boy as a hostage against him. Even against the Order, itself. There were others with suspicions about the Red Cross of Gold
Well, no one else has commented, and even though you got all snippy on that other thread I still think your writing style ROCKS! Still trying to figure out how.... ??? ??? It doesn't really matter HOW you created my clone in your book, I just gotta keep reading to find out if I do live happily ever after! :D

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Ok, SO, are these things NOT working or what????? I mean seriously.... I am thinking of going to everyone's and posting just so they will move. I thought the idea was for us readers to be able to come on here and ask questions.... I don't think you guys/gals even check them yourselves. ALL that thought and work someone put into thinking this NEW thing up yet NO ONE is paying attention. :mad: :mad: ??? ???

I AM JUST SAYING.....

Edit: or would that be trolling?

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meredith Sinclair said:
Ok, SO, are these things NOT working or what????? I mean seriously.... I am thinking of going to everyone's and posting just so they will move. I thought the idea was for us readers to be able to come on here and ask questions.... I don't think you guys/gals even check them yourselves. ALL that thought and work someone put into thinking this NEW thing up yet NO ONE is paying attention. :mad: :mad: ??? ???
Looky here, Miss Question Mark Head, I only did this cause I thought someone wanted us to do it and even while I was doing it, I was thinking this be a waste valiable time :(. And since I am, after all, a master of prophecy as per my Character: John Paul Sinclair-Ramsay. ;) I was waiting to see if anyone posted on it... well, you did. Thank you, but since you already own my Assassin Chronicles, it's not likely that you will buy them... again. LOL.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Brendan Carroll said:
Looky here, Miss Question Mark Head, I only did this cause I thought someone wanted us to do it and even while I was doing it, I was thinking this be a waste valiable time :(. And since I am, after all, a master of prophecy as per my Character: John Paul Sinclair-Ramsay. ;) I was waiting to see if anyone posted on it... well, you did. Thank you, but since you already own my Assassin Chronicles, it's not likely that you will buy them... again. LOL.
So.....what the heck are you saying ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? You are only loyal to prospective buyers.....to give your time to them is much more lucrative (how 'bout THAT big word?) ok not so big.... but it sounds good right?

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meredith Sinclair said:
So.....what the heck are you saying ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? You are only loyal to prospective buyers.....to give your time to them is much more lucrative (how 'bout THAT big word?) ok not so big.... but it sounds good right?
I like that word, Miss Merry. Lucrative... reminds me of filthy lucre... whatever that is. But yes, I am afraid that I would sell my soul (recovered from the SH catts) for a few $.70 sales. ;) Just break out (pardon the pun) the old bell jar. In case anyone of those prospective buyers are looking, my main character happens to be an alchemist who dabbles in the Art for a living, just saying. :)

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meredith Sinclair said:
Hey, it would seem that I'm not so concerned with prospective buyers as I should be since I forgot all about this thread and giving it a bump now and then... :-[ So here you go, Miss Merry, another chance to come on and tell me how much you love me!
Here's an excerpt from the Quinta Essentia wherein the Knight of Death has become entangled with three lovely Roman beauties after being forced to take a Holiday. I called it "Death Takes a Holiday"... ring a bell?

"He is more than cute, mia cara," Camilla laughed at her friend's description of the darkly handsome Scot. "He's rich. Or at least he was three weeks ago. I wonder who canceled his credit card? I mean he never said anything about a credit limit or money or a job or anything like that. I don't think he's ever worked for a living. Look at his hands. Soft as a baby's bottom."

"And what would you know about working, Milla?" Sylvia asked as she joined them on the carpet. "Perhaps he is a mental case, no? Eccentric billionare. That sort of thing. Let's get on with this. I have places to go."

"Well, we can only hope he's not a psycho escaped with his doctor's wallet," Addie muttered and pushed back her hair. She got up and kicked off her shoes. "He didn't seem like a basket case to me. Too bad we can't afford to keep him. But you're right. Let's get this over with before he wakes up. Help me with this."

They pushed the coffee table out of the way and pushed and tugged on the chairs and ottoman, making a wide open space in front of the sofa.
Adriana marked out a circle on the floor, nine feet in diameter, using a pre-measured length of string and a sprinkling of salt.

"All right, be quiet now," Adriana instructed as she placed the incense and candles around the circle according to the diagram Mr. McCreary had given her. Mr. McCreary knew Mark Ramsay. Another curiosity, but she didn't understand their relationship. Mark had never admitted that he knew anyone by that name even though he declared it was Scottish enough. Sadly, Allen McCreary was paying now and Mark wasn't. She kept telling herself that everything would come out all right. They had to pay the bills, didn't they? "Are we ready? Do we know what we're supposed to do?"

Her two roommates nodded and stood back, while she completed laying out the circle and then stepped inside the circle when she beckoned to them. They waited in skeptical silence as she read off the strange incantations and verses written on the back of an index card.
They waited for several seconds in silence, when she was finished.

Gradually, they noticed that the sky outside had clouded over. A warm breeze kicked up the filmy drapes at the balcony doors and the windchimes tinkled over the dining room table. They gathered closer together in the center of the circle after a few seconds and Adriana finalized the request to the powers of the Universe to come and do their bidding. Thunder answered her words as if on cue and they all jumped before giggling in unison. The sky had grown even darker and the invigorating smell of an approaching summer rainstorm wafted through the open windows.

"Here we go," Adriana whispered when Mark moved on the couch and threw one arm over his face. "We repeat the words three times in successsion and then we wait to see what happens. Camilla, do you have the camera ready?"

"Ready," Camilla answered and held up the small, but expensive video recorder, also provided by McCreary.

"I still don't like this," Sylvia protested once more in a whisper. "It's not right."

"I heard you the first six times," Adriana snapped, bumped her arm and then looked down at the card in her hand. "You have your lines?"

Her friends nodded.

"On three," Adriana said and used her fingers to tick off the numbers. "One, two, three."

They drew a collective breath and began the final step of the ceremony.

"Chequetet. Arelich. Volmalites."

Another loud clap of thunder shook the apartment and the drapes flapped almost horizontally in the stiffening breeze that had grown quite chilly.

"Again!" she ordered and they complied, repeating the three odd names.

"Once more!" she almost shouted when the lightning struck searingly close and the thunder startled her.

"Chequetet. Arelich. Volmalites."

The rain broke over the city in torrents and the floor seemed to vibrate as the downpour set up a continual roar of wind and rumbling thunder. Camilla shrieked when a vase toppled over on the dining room table and shattered on the wood floor.

They stood watching and waiting as the wind wailed around their third floor apartment.
"Oh my God! What is that noise?" Sylvia gasped and pressed her hands over her ears as a low, vibrating noise filled the air with a repressive buzzing sound.

The lights blinked off after a loud bang and the wind threatened to extinguish their candles. Camilla grabbed her arm and pointed over her shoulder at the man on the sofa, outside their circle. Sylvia's eyes grew wide and she fell back into Adriana's arms. The three girls sank to the floor in a tight huddle as they stared at what was happening to their unsuspecting guest.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Brendan Carroll said:
Hey, it would seem that I'm not so concerned with prospective buyers as I should be since I forgot all about this thread and giving it a bump now and then... :-[ So here you go, Miss Merry, another chance to come on and tell me how much you love me!
I know, if you did not care about ME, you would not have sent your e-books to for FREE! ;D You are a very generous guy Mr. Brendan Carroll, and I very much appreciate it of course I still bought all of your books on Kindle because I just love them soooo much! ;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You know there are other books I would like to read  :'(, but I am hooked on RC2 - but promising myself others in between  ;D at least I don't have to worry about what to read next  :D

Probably because you put M&Ms in your popcorn, and like livermush with extra mayonnaise! not to mention going to Tech and living in Texas and and and and and  ;)

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anju No. 469 said:
You know there are other books I would like to read :'(, but I am hooked on RC2 - but promising myself others in between ;D at least I don't have to worry about what to read next :D

Probably because you put M&Ms in your popcorn, and like livermush with extra mayonnaise! not to mention going to Tech and living in Texas and and and and and ;)
I'm so sorry about messing up your TBR list... NOT!! ;D Thank you so much, Miss Anju. You have no idea how great it is to hear from readers who are enjoying my books. I just punched the publish button on the paper back verson of RCGII:. the King of Terrors today and had a margarita to celebrate. Of course, I can't get the link up and running just yet. It's a bit pricey, but its something like 464 pages and quite handsome like me... ;) Thanks again, Miss Anju and Happy Reading!! Brendan

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anju No. 469 said:
You know there are other books I would like to read :'(, but I am hooked on RC2 - but promising myself others in between ;D at least I don't have to worry about what to read next :D
My apologies again, Miss Anju, but I just got my link to Ars Arabia, eleventh in the RCG series. I know that you are on book 2 right now, but you only have 9 more to go in order to catch up with me. I know you can do it! This one has an evil Genie in it.

Here's a short excerpt from The Red Cross of Gold XI:. Ars Arabia:

"You did not deny that you sent the Ritter to assassinate the assassin," Barry said in a low voice. "What possible motive could Ramsay have that would cause you to fear him so much, your Grace? Has he not proven his loyalty to this Order and to God often enough and at such great personal risk and sacrifice? Did I not hear him tell you once that you were the one who caused the dragon to be alive and well with two heads instead of one? The very dragon you so carefully slayed on his patio in Scotland! And the very same beast we had to fight against again in the Abyss!"

"Where were you, your Grace when Mark Ramsay was fighting your dragon? Where were you when Mark Ramsay spent twenty-one years in the Abyss struggling against the Mad Arab? Where were you when he fought against the Queen of the Abyss and then lost his brother for the second time in his life to her? Where were you? What will you do if you kill Mark Ramsay? Who will protect you then, your Grace? Simon of Grenoble? The self-righteous Knight of the Apocalypse who Sees? What does the Ritter see when he looks at Mark Ramsay?" The Grand Master began to advance on the English Knight. "Is he so afraid of Mark Ramsay that he would kill him in his sleep? I have fought alongside Mark Ramsay for many years, your Grace and I would fight with him in any battle he should choose to enter. To hell with your posturing and gesturing and your penances and your holiness! To hell with..." Sir Barry was not allowed to finish before the Grand Master slapped him to the floor with one great blow.

D'Brouchart stood over the Knight of the Baldric, staring down at him with a murderous gleam in his eyes.

"Go on and strike me down, your Grace," Barry told him from the floor where he sat rubbing his jaw. He spit blood on the floor and snarled his nose in barely controlled rage. He'd seen the Master do this to a number of his Brothers over the years, but never had the man raised a hand to him. It didn't suit him at all well. "I am but a Poor Knight of the Temple, but I will not support the murder of my Brother."

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Thank God book XI is available - DH finished I-X in record time and has been whining.  He just got home from work and I told him I just downloaded XI to his K2.  His response?  "Sweet!"

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So happy to oblige you both! :D  Now he won't be whining, he'll be reading and maybe getting a few pointers on how to romance a lady from one of the characters in there.  You might ask him about it sometimes.  Just say "Hey, DH, do you think of pomegranates when you look at me?" ;)  See what happens.  Thank you so much.  Sincerely, Brendan

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for a few lines from the Red Cross of Gold I:. the Knight of Death, the first book in the saga. Here we have three of the Knight of Death's beloved Brothers of the Order checking into Miss Penelope Martin's bed and breakfast before heading out to look for him with the intention of taking his head home in a box.

Simon spoke up at the mention of his name a third time. He interrupted their exchange with his softer voice, also speaking in French, admonishing both of them and reminding them that they were upsetting their hostess. He turned his sad eyes on her and smiled apologetically before speaking to her in English. "Excuse my friends, Madame, they are… tired." He reminded her of a priest somehow.

"Of course," she nodded and almost called him 'father' from long habit. "Mr… ah, Dee Ornan," she added hastily after glancing at the third name written so elegantly in bold dark lines in the registry. Dambretti's script was as pretty as he was. Her curiosity was definitely piqued.

She handed the keys over to the sullen one when he reached for them and they stood up together.

Dambretti reached across the desk to take her hand, kissing the back of it in spite of Beaujold's distemper. "Thank you, signorina," he said gravely. "It has been a pleasure to work with you." He might as well have been whispering love poems in her ears. The simple gesture left her speechless.

The two Frenchmen nodded curtly to her and filed out of the room with Dambretti trailing behind. He turned at the door and looked back long enough to wink at her.

Miss Martin sat in her wicker peacock chair without moving for several moments before letting out the breath she was holding. One more smile and another wink and she would follow him anywhere. She jumped physically when he suddenly stuck his head back in the office.

"We may have others joining us," he told her and then he was thankfully gone.

Miss Martin fanned her face absently with one hand until she had recovered somewhat. She went to the window overlooking the parking lot and watched them unload their van. They seemed to be arguing again. Each one carried a garment bag over his shoulder while the short one and the Italian hefted a large wooden chest between them and started inside with it. They reminded her of spies from one of the novels she kept in her bedside table. She loved spy novels. Especially the ones set in exotic places like France and Italy. Perhaps the chest was filled with electronic spy equipment, but it didn't look modern. It was old and bound with black bands like a pirate's chest. Perhaps they were treasure hunters. Perhaps they were like Indiana Jones or something. She couldn't wait to get on the phone with her friends!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
If I had been there, and had been Ms. Martin, I woulda let Lucio Dambretti take me to B....& have B later!!! :D

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Meredith Sinclair said:
If I had been there, and had been Ms. Martin, I woulda let Lucio Dambretti take me to B....& have B later!!! :D
Well, golly, gosh, Miss Merry :-[ ... your namesake certainly has no problem with that B either. ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
How am I ever going to catch up to you'all?    :'(  I'm trying Brendan.    Stop writing so I can catch up  :D

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mamiller said:
How am I ever going to catch up to you'all? :'( I'm trying Brendan. Stop writing so I can catch up :D
There's no need to catch up, Miss Miller. Just stay where you are as long you want to stay there and move on when you're good and ready. As for the 'Widow's Tale', I'm going to post on your thread so you get a bump... ;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Brenden - I am really really upset with you!!!!!!!!!  I was up until all hours last night getting to a stopping point in RCG II, and then you leave me hanging this morning - I have two book clubs I am in and have not been able to post,  I have 5 DTBs for my DTB club (I am seriously seriously thinking of quiting, but have sold 3 kindles there LOL), now I am going to have to get into 3, just to find out "who" it is!  ARGHHHHHH  At least Miss Merry is not acting like a doofus, at least at the end of 2.

You are the main one, well maybe Al and Jeff and Ed and Michael and Carol and and and and and that I wrote my "complaint about kindleboard authors thread" about.

No pecan pie for you!

1 - 20 of 242 Posts