Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Leslie, I wondered if that might happen with their being out of stock and waiting until mid-February to ship.  Whichever one I receive, I will be deliriously happy.  Thanks for posting the info.  It will be interesting to see what transpires.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruinboy said:
Leslie, I wondered if that might happen with their being out of stock and waiting until mid-February to ship. Whichever one I receive, I will be deliriously happy. Thanks for posting the info. It will be interesting to see what transpires.
I just find it hard to believe that they could be selling version one with version two waiting in the wings to ship in the first quarter of 09. I think these blog people make things up and just write it like it's the truth.

L

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ever since yesterday I wondered why they had run out of the Kindle for the holiday season.  I could see the initial demand outweighing supply when it first came out, but knowing the Oprah show was coming as well as the holiday season on the horizon, why didn't they produce more Kindles?  Running out just before Christmas does not seem like a good business move (the Wii notwithstanding).  The possibilities?  One, they did not anticipate the high demand.  Two, their production capabilities are very limited.  Three, they were planning to come up with a new version, but delayed until the first of the year for some reason.

Again, I don't care which version I get.  I just want to get one!!!!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This does look more authentic but I am not sure it looks better. I also wonder if it is longer, what about all the outside companies that have invested in
accessories, like covers and skins? It also took me forever to even find a case to fit the current Kindle length. A bigger version is the last thing I would want. I am very happy with mine... only when I wear it out, will I consider replacing it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't believe it, either. I don't know what the software improvements might be, but the physical improvements don't impress me. True, the "large buttons issue" has been addressed, but why make the K bigger? There is a lot of wasted space on this supposed "new and improved" version that just doesn't make sense. It "may" give people more space to pick up the Kindle without changing the pages, but the smaller buttons alone would have accomplished that.

The keyboard is not active when the K is in the "reading" mode, so you can hold the K at the bottom with your fingers on the keyboard, so why the extra space below the keyboard? Speaking of the keyboard, why no space between the left-hand and right-hand side of the keyboard. True, on a regular keyboard, you don't have the middle space, but you do have enough space to place your left and right hands on the keyboard. On the kindle, you don't. I pick and choose with my fingers/thumbs but the the space down the middle helps me keep in mind where the keys are with regard to my left and right hands. In this "version 2?", it just all runs together. Hmmm....maybe that wouldn't make any difference to a digital native, but if you take a look at the demographics (at least on this board and on the Amazon board), the age of the average Kindle owner is skewed higher than the age of the digital native.

JMHO

G

·
I agree ER, I like the division of the keyboard and the slightly ergonomic feel of key placement. I am able to "type" rather quickly on it. Would hate for them to change it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Call me suspicious, but I don't believe it either, I just think they have been slammed by demand.  It looks a lot like a beta version to me.  The change in size would really kill all the covers out there and I can't believe they would do that to their after market.  Perhaps a software update is coming (file folders?) and they are putting that on the new ones and had a probelm with that which is the delay.  That makes sense to me.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I hope this is just a rumour. My order has just been bumped from December to February and I am already upset enough as it it. I really don't like that "new" version. It makes no sense not to have SD cards anymore and I don't like how that one looks at all. I don't like it larger, the frame looks more distracting that way.

I think I need to stay off the boards, I am getting depressed.  :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Atunah said:
I hope this is just a rumour. My order has just been bumped from December to February and I am already upset enough as it it. I really don't like that "new" version. It makes no sense not to have SD cards anymore and I don't like how that one looks at all. I don't like it larger, the frame looks more distracting that way.

I think I need to stay off the boards, I am getting depressed. :(
Atunah,
I ordered my K last January and received it in February, 2008. I have seen many rumors of "Generation 2 is just around the corner/due out in Spring, 2008/due out in Fall, 2008, etc. etc. etc" including pictures of the "new" version that seemed to be prototypes of version 1 instead of a version 2. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Just remember Pierre Salinger got laughed out of his "respectability" as a journalist when he reported "a missile caused the TWA 800 crash on July 17, 1996. His "undeniable" source? He read it on the internet!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I do not believe everything I read on the Internet  ???. I am one of the most sceptical people out there. I don't believe any blogs. Unless it comes from the top, I dont believe anything. I am just upset that my order that was scheduled before christmas is now pushed back to February. There is always a new version of something. At some point there will be a new Kindle.
I just hope they stick with the current design of it as much as possible. Its what sets it apart from the other pod like looking e-readers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The following appeared earlier on the Amazon discussion board concerning the reliability of the report ... for what it's worth, here it is ... it's a response to a question I had about the poster saying it came from a respected source ...

Richard,
"Respected" is clearly a subjective phrase. However, TechCrunch is regularly cited by mainstream publications such as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and Wired magazine, among many others. It is also a blog that I read regularly, unlike the source of the original report, boygeniusreport.com, which I had never heard of before. Nonetheless we won't really know what the truth is until Amazon is ready to announce the next generation.

So what do you think?  It's all pure speculation at this point.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The problem is that Amazon is so tight lip about the kindle that we probably won't know any thing about version 2 until the day it comes out. Right now it any one guess when that will happend, or what changes have or haven't been made.

I am happy with the kindle I have right now, The only thing I would like is to be able to make folders.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Isn't this the same picture that has been shown by non-Amazon people for months now, claiming that this is the new V2?  I would not buy it, I will stay with Eliot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If this were true, MEdge would be screwed with introducing a brand new book cover this week.  Don't you think that since MEdge is represented by Amazon that they would know something and not be introducing a new cover at this point?  Bad business.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't believe this at all.  If they were going to come out with a new version - wouldn't it actually have some improvements?  I don't see any at all on this thing.  I would really think that if they were going to come out with a new one at all, it would have a lot more of the features people have been screaming for (esp folders!).   
Atunah - when did you order yours?  I ordered my 2nd (for my fiance) on November 20th - you scared me so I went to check, it still says Dec 16-19th?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
tc said:
Isn't this the same picture that has been shown by non-Amazon people for months now, claiming that this is the new V2? I would not buy it, I will stay with Eliot.
I thought the same thing. I'm sure it's the same photo.

Same here. I like the style of V1. The only thing that could get me to upgrade would be color.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Tech Crunch tends to be a reliable information source. I don't see anything in the new design that makes it more appealing than the current design.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hope those aren;t real pioctures of what the Kindle 2 will look like... It is not near as cool looking as version 1.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts